Page 142 of 859 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152192242642 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 8585
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Does Soros Own All US Gun & Ammo Manufacturers?

Rense.com
    10-17-11

There has been an e-mail circulating that claims that Cerberus Capital Management and the Freedom Group control most of the firearms and ammunition industry and that George Soros owns these investment firms. The rumor of Soros involvement is false, according to the NRA:

The National Rifle Association stated: "This rumor is completely false and baseless." The NRA has a long-standing relationship with both Cerberus and Freedom Group, noting: "The owners and investors involved are strong supporters of the Second Amendment and are avid hunters and shooters." Further, Soros has never been a part of either group. Most importantly:

This unsubstantiated rumor has caused a great deal of unnecessary concern for gun owners. NRA-ILA urges our members to take great care before repeating baseless rumors found on the Internet."

http://pajamasmedia.com/tatler/2011/10/ ... companies/

Who Controls Cerberus?

From Wikipedia: Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. is one of the largest private equity investment firms in the United States. The firm is based in New York City, and run by 51-year-old financier Steve Feinberg. Former U.S. Vice President Dan Quayle has been a prominent Cerberus spokesperson and runs one of its international units.

Founded in 1992, Cerberus is named for the mythological three-headed dog that guarded the gates of Hades. Feinberg has stated to his employees that while the Cerberus name seemed like a good idea at the time, he later regretted naming the company after the mythological dog.

The company has been a very active acquirer of businesses over the past several years and now has sizable investments in automotive, sportswear, paper products, military services, real estate, energy, retail, glassmaking, transportation, and building products. In 2006, its holdings amounted to $24 billion.

On October 19, 2006, John W. Snow, President George W. Bush's second Treasury Secretary, was named chairman of Cerberus.

J. Ezra Merkin is a partner in Cerberus. Merkin invested his funds into Cerberus and its portfolio companies. His Gabriel fund invested $79 million in Chrysler, $66 million in GMAC and $67 million in Cerberus partnerships, according to year-end statements. The Gabriel Fund was a feeder fund for Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerberus_C ... Management

Cerberus appears to be a very connected outfit, but there is no mention of Soros.

According to an article in the Wall Street Journal from 2009, Cerberus received $4 BILLION IN BAILOUTS funded by taxpayers for their company, Chrysler. The Freedom Group is a subsidiary of Cerberus.

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2009/10/19/a ... dom-group/

Here is a list of holdings by the Freedom Group:

Remington Arms
    Bushmaster Firearms International
    DPMS Panther Arms
    Marlin
    H & R Firearms
    NEF
    Dakota Arms
    LC Smith
    Parker
    AAC - Advanced Armament Corporation
    Barnes Bullets
    EOTAC
    INTC

In closing, it appears that Cerberus does hold a large market share of the ammunition industry and Cerberus has enjoyed enormous taxpayer funded bailouts ($4 billion). Cerberus has some political and financial heavy-hitters on its board and has made some TERRIBLE investments.

In a free market capitalist system, even if a corporation bought up all the gun and ammunition manufacturers and made ammo cost prohibitive or stopped selling it, new companies would arise to fill the demand. But our system is one of crony capitalism that favors corporations. Therefore, it may be wise to stock up on firearms supplies.

http://www.rense.com/general95/soros.htm
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-04-2012 at 12:56 AM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Codex Alimentarius And Global Control

SHADOWS OF THE FUTURE - a short film by Kevin P. Miller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6RYm15d ... ture=share

Oct 17, 2010

Filmmaker Kevin P. Miller examines the possibilities of a future where international government bureaucracies like the WTO and Codex Alimentarius working in league with multinational corporations control the food and medicine supply worldwide. PLEASE Share on Twitter, FB and elsewhere. GET THE TRUTH OUT! Don't let others speak for you!
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-04-2012 at 12:58 AM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Time To Stock Up: The Price Of Peanut Butter Is Set to Soar 40% In the Next Two Weeks

Mac Slavo
    October 18th, 2011
    SHTFplan.com
    158 Comments

After having risen over 30% in just the last year, peanut crop damage is forcing wholesalers and grocery store retail chains to raise the price of this prepper staple as much as 40% in the next two weeks:
    Another hot, dry summer has devastated this year’s peanut crop, sending prices for the legume skyrocketing and forcing peanut-butter brands including J.M. Smucker Co.’s Jif, Unilever NV’s Skippy and ConAgra Foods Inc.’s Peter Pan into startling price increases.
    Wholesale prices for big-selling Jif are going up 30% starting in November, while Peter Pan will raise prices as much as 24% in a couple weeks. Unilever wouldn’t comment on its pricing plans, but a spokesman for Wegmans Food Markets, the closely held supermarket chain in the Northeast U.S., said wholesale prices for all brands it carries, including Skippy, are 30% to 35% higher than a year ago.
    Kraft Foods Inc., which launched Planters peanut butter in June, is raising prices 40% on Oct. 31, a spokeswoman said.

As with any crop, the challenges facing peanut farmers begin and end with the weather. In Georgia, the leading U.S. peanut producing state, the planting season was the driest in memory for John Harrell, a sixth-generation peanut farmer in Whigham, Ga. Peanuts, typically planted between mid-April and the beginning of June, had to wait until several weeks after that for any rains, he said.
    “I don’t remember a year that you didn’t catch a shower or had so little moisture in the ground to get the seed up,” said Mr. Harrell, age 56. “It was dry about as deep as you can dig down.”
    Source: Wall Street Journal (Cached Version)
    If wholesale prices are rising 25% to 40% by November 1 of this year, it will only be a matter of time until grocery retailers will be forced to pass those costs on to consumers.
    The crunch will affect the 90% of U.S. households that consume peanut butter — Americans eat about 1.5 million pounds of peanut products annually. The industry, according to the National Peanut Board, contributes more than $4 billion to the domestic economy each year.
    High prices are expected to trickle down to consumers soon.
    Source: Los Angeles Times
    While the larger manufacturers are feeling the crunch, they still have the ability to buy peanuts in mega-bulk quantities, as opposed to smaller producers who don’t have similar access. This means that smaller brands may eventually see even larger cost increases, which may significantly impact the price of dehydrated peanut products often found in the reserve food closets of preppers.

http://www.shtfplan.com/emergency-pr...weeks_10182011
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-04-2012 at 01:02 AM.

I can think of a Million Reasons why you should prepare yourself and family for any Emergency... this is one of the prime examples; no fuel... no major food movement = Hunger

Major Security Firms Detect New Trojan Capable Of Disrupting Power Plants, Oil Refineries and Other Critical Infrastructure Networks

Mac Slavo
    October 19th, 2011
    SHTFplan.com
    51 Comments

http://www.shtfplan.com/wp-content/u...-powergrid.gif

In our October 7, 2011 report There Have Been Intrusions, we noted that DHS Undersecretary Greg Shaffer warned that hackers and foreign governments are “knocking on the backdoor” of the networked systems which connect everything from infrastructure grid control systems to financial networks.

It now appears that our interconnected smart grid is actively under attack, as evidenced by a new Stuxnet-style trojan that has been detected by major cyber security leaders Symantec and McAfee. Much like its predecessor, the trojan dubbed “Duqu” is designed to infilitrate the networks that control everything from power production facilities to oil refineries. It is not yet clear exactly how the trojan operates, what its intended purpose is, or who designed it (though it is believed that the code for Duqu and Stuxnet likely originated with U.S. intelligence agencies). Both Symantec and McAfee continue to investigate the threat:
    Security researchers have detected a new Trojan, scarily similar to the infamous Stuxnet worm, which could disrupt computers controlling power plants, oil refineries and other critical infrastructure networks.

The Trojan, dubbed “Duqu” by the security firm Symantec, appears, based on its code, to have been written by the same authors as the Stuxnet worm, which last July was used to cripple an Iranian nuclear-fuel processing plant.

“Duqu shares a great deal of code with Stuxnet; however, the payload is completely different,” researchers for the security firm Symantec wrote on its Security Response blog.

Instead of directly targeting the SCADA system, Duqu gathers “intelligence data and assets from entities, such as industrial control system manufacturers, in order to more easily conduct a future attack against another third party. The attackers are looking for information such as design documents that could help them mount a future attack on an industrial control facility.”

“Duqu is essentially the precursor to a future Stuxnet-like attack,” the researchers added. Source: Fox News
    You may recall that Stuxnet was so advanced that it crashed the physical centrifuges used to enrich uranium in Iran’s nuclear facilities. Stuxnet did this by exploiting software and hardware vulnerabilities, essentially reporting to Iranian research facility engineers that everything was functioning properly by controlling the software interface, while in the background it sent centrifuges spinning out of control to the point of hardware failure.

Duqu, which is apparently a similar piece of advanced code with a slightly different modus operandi, is not yet completely understood, but like Stuxnet in Iran, it is now actively functioning inside of critical infrastructure systems gathering information. To what end? The answer to that question may remain elusive until it’s too late.

In reportedly unrelated news, the Department of Homeland Security, in an unclassified National Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Center Bulletin (pdf), has issued warnings about the hacking group Anonymous and the possibility that they are becoming increasingly capable of targeting advanced Industrial Control Systems (ICS):
    (U//FOUO) The information available on Anonymous suggests they currently have a limited ability to conduct attacks targeting ICS. However, experienced and skilled members of Anonymous in hacking could be able to develop capabilities to gain access and trespass on control system networks very quickly. Free educational opportunities (conferences, classes), presentations at hacker conferences, and other high profile events/media coverage have raised awareness to ICS vulnerabilities, and likely shortened the time needed to develop sufficient tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) to disrupt ICS. Control system exploits are released in common penetration testing software such as Metasploit release 4.0 that can be directly used with novice level skills in hacking and little to no background in control systems. Common packet inspection tools such as WireShark and Netmon have improved to the point where industrial protocols are supported minimizing the effectiveness of security-by-obscurity. In addition, there are control systems that are currently accessible directly from the Internet and easy to locate through internet search engine tools and applications. These systems could be easily located and accessed with minimal skills in order to trespass, carry out nefarious activities, or conduct reconnaissance activities to be used in future operations.

(U//FOUO) Anonymous has recently called on their members to target energy companies based on “Green Energy” initiative performance. This targeting could likely extend beyond Anonymous to the broader hacktivist community, resulting in larger-scope actions against energy companies. Asset owners and operators of critical infrastructure control systems are encouraged to engage in addressing the security needs of their control system assets.
    Curiously, the Duqu trojan doesn’t seem to have originated from individual hackers or hacking groups, or foreign intelligence services. Rather, like Stuxnet, the virus was likely written under control and/or guidance of U.S. intelligence, possibly in collaboration with Israeli intelligence.
    While DHS has issued warnings about Anonymous and other hacking groups potentially attacking the grid, someone – and it’s likely not a lone hacker or the Anonymous hacking group – is actively involved in probing for vulnerabilities in our infrastructure control systems. These are the systems that monitor and control our electricity, water supplies, gas pipelines, oil refineries, financial exchanges, and even certain military operations.

There seems to be no immediate danger at this time, as the Duqu trojan is reportedly gathering intelligence, as opposed to actively attempting to bring down the systems via a hardware style attack like Stuxnet.

But once it acquires all of the necessary information, such as personnel access codes, security certificates and a mapped layout of a particular grid infrastructure, it wouldn’t take much to take things to the next level.

Imagine for a moment the effect of an attack on major refining operations, cascading electrical outages, urban water purification systems that added excessive chemicals to water supplies, or the massive flooding that might result if a dam were compromised.

Or, consider that the U.S. drone fleet was recently attacked by an unknown trojan or malware, which was logging access commands and passwords for high security military systems. What would happen if an enemy of the people of the United States gained access to our entire drone fleet, weapons systems and all?

The possibilities for damage via compromised infrastructure systems would be nothing short of a digital apocalypse, with the potential to adversely affect the lives of tens of millions of unsuspecting Americans virtually overnight.

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-new...works_10192011
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-04-2012 at 01:11 AM.

Just a reminder to all... this is YOUR SITE. If you want to post on here PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do so

This is just to help you, help yourself and help others

if you got something good please Post Away
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-04-2012 at 01:11 AM.

A SUGGESTED SURVIVAL LIST

By Chuck Baldwin
    October 20, 2011
    NewsWithViews.com

It’s once again time for my annual survival list column. One does not have to be a prophet to know that we are on the precipice of some potentially catastrophic--or at the very least, challenging--days. In fact, most of us are already in challenging days, and some are already enduring catastrophic events. That is, if one would call being out of work, losing one’s home, facing life-threatening medical conditions without any prospect of medical insurance, several families being forced to live in one house due to homes being foreclosed, etc., catastrophic.

The potential for an escalation of cataclysmic events, however, is very real. Only a “blooming idiot” would call someone who attempts to prepare for “the day of adversity” a Chicken Little now. Anyone who does not see the storm clouds on the horizon isn’t paying attention.

For example, can one imagine what would happen if terrorists nuked a major American city or cities? (Once again, I encourage readers to watch the CBS TV series “Jericho” to get an idea of how quickly life, and even civilization, could change.) Imagine if there was another 9/11-type event. What would happen if some form of Zimbabwe-style inflation hit the US? What would happen if anything disrupted the distribution of Welfare checks, or food to local grocers? Imagine a Hurricane Katrina-style natural disaster in your town. I think people everywhere are beginning to awaken to just how vulnerable we all really are.As a result, people from virtually every walk of life have asked my thoughts on how they should prepare. Therefore, I will, again, attempt to share with my readers some of the counsel I have given these folks.

First, a disclaimer. I am not an economist; I am not a survival expert; I am not a firearms expert; I am not an attorney; I am not a physician. In fact, I am not an expert in anything! For several years, however, I have tried to learn from others. I am an avid reader. My work has allowed me to travel extensively. I have had the privilege of sitting at the feet of--and learning from--many of America’s most learned, most trained, and most qualified “experts” in a variety of fields. What I write today, I have learned from others. I’ve formed my own opinions and priorities, of course, but everything I’m sharing has been said, or written about, before. But if I can share something in today’s column that will help someone be better prepared for the days to come, then my goal will have been achieved.

Analyze your living conditions. Where do you live? Do you live in an urban or rural environment? Is it a big city or small town? Do you live in an apartment or condominium? How close are your neighbors? Do you even know your neighbors? Would you trust them if the electricity was off and they were hungry? Could you grow your own food if you had to? How easily could you secure your home? If you live in a cold weather environment, how long could you stay warm without electricity? These are the kinds of questions you need to ask yourself now.

Over the past several decades, masses of people have migrated into large metropolitan areas. More people currently live in urban areas than at any time in American history. While this may be well and good for times of prosperity, it is an absolute nightmare during any kind of disaster. Does anyone remember what New Orleans looked like after Hurricane Katrina came through? Can anyone recall what happened in downtown Los Angeles during the 1992 riots? Needless to say, any inner-city environment could become a powder keg almost instantaneously, given the right (or wrong) circumstances. And the bigger the city, the bigger the potential problems.

If you live in the inner city, I suggest you consider moving to a more rural location. Obviously, now is a very good time to buy property (especially rural property), but the downside is, selling property is not as favorable. If you can afford it, now is a great time to buy a “safe house” outside the city. If you are fortunate enough to have family or some true friends nearby, you may want to put your heads--and some resources--together in preparation for serious upheaval. Obviously, a team of prepared people is much better than being alone.

If you must stay in your urban location, have some commonsense plans in hand in the event of a major disaster. Get to know your neighbors: find out whom you can trust and whom you can’t. Keep some extra gasoline on hand, in case you need to get in your car quickly and leave. Have several exit routes planned ahead of time, in case roads are blocked. Have a “bug-out” bag containing essential ingredients to live on for 3 to 4 days. If leaving is not an option, have a plan to secure your home as best you can. You’ll need to think about things such as food, water, medicine, warmth, self-defense, etc. But at this point, to do nothing is absolute lunacy!

Most readers probably know that my entire family and I made the decision last year to move 2,600 miles from our home of 35 years in the Florida panhandle to the Flathead Valley of Montana, which is located about 75 miles south of the Canadian border just west of the Rocky Mountains. We’ve been here a year now (including dealing with one of the harshest winters in recent memory here, according to locals), and I can tell readers without equivocation or hesitation that we are so glad we made this move. We (including our womenfolk, southern girls all) absolutely love it here--all the difficulties and trials associated with such a life-changing move notwithstanding. In fact, I’ve never lived in a place I love so much!

If readers want to learn more about what prompted our move to Montana, please peruse the information on this web page.

Provisions:

During a major disaster, food will quickly disappear. Living for over 3 decades on the Gulf Coast, I can tell you with absolute certainty that whenever disaster strikes (usually an approaching hurricane, for those folks), food and provisions at the store sell completely out in a matter of a few hours. People panic, and within hours, you cannot find food, bottled water, ice, generators, batteries, candles, etc. In a matter of hours, every gas station in the area will be completely out of gas. Not days. Hours!

Furthermore, almost all disasters include a complete loss of electricity. The water supply is compromised. Bottled water becomes more valuable than bank accounts. Dehydration becomes a very real and present danger. I remember witnessing a man offer an ice vendor $100 for an extra bag of ice during Hurricane Ivan. My wife and I went 2 weeks (14 days) without electricity in the aftermath of that hurricane. Believe me, I got a taste of just how precious bottled water, ice, batteries, generators, fuel, etc., can become.

I suggest you have a supply of food and water to last at least two weeks. A month would be better. Many survival experts insist that a three-month supply is the minimum. Personally, I can live a long time on tuna fish or peanut butter. You can purchase MREs from a variety of sources, as well as “camp-style” packaged food from many sporting goods stores. Of course, bottled water is available everywhere during normal times. Stock up! Distilled water will store longer than spring water. Plus, I suggest you have some water purification tablets or a Katadyn water filter on hand. And, if you are able, prepare to grow your own food. In cold weather climates such as we have here in Montana, people quickly learn how to construct and utilize green houses in which to grow food. Canning food is another very helpful hedge against deprivation. If your parents and grandparents were like mine, this was standard operating procedure.

Get a generator. Keep a supply of fuel on hand. Stay stocked up on batteries, candles, portable lights, first aid supplies, and personal hygiene items--especially toilet paper. Trust me, during times of intense and prolonged disaster, toilet paper could become more valuable than money. I also suggest you never run out of lighters or matches. You never know when you’ll need to build a fire--and during a prolonged survival situation, fire could save your life. If you live in a cold weather climate, you probably already have some sort of wood stove or fireplace.

Obviously, you need to take stock of your clothing. Do you have clothes suitable for extended outdoor activity? What about boots? During a disaster, you would trade your best suit from Neiman Marcus for a good pair of boots. Do you have gloves? Insulated underwear? What about camouflage clothing? These could become essential outerwear in the right conditions. Plus, any “bug-out” bag will need to include spare clothing. And as most folks here in Montana know, “cotton kills.” For extended outdoor wear in cold weather, wool is the only way to go!

Communication and medical provisions are also a high priority in any kind of emergency. How will you communicate with your loved ones when the phones (including cell phones) go down? Portable ham radios are a very valuable resource. But the time to buy (and train to use) one is NOW! A preordained rally point (or safe house) might be something to think about. And what about medical supplies? Do you have enough to take care of routine (and not-so-routine) emergencies? What about your prescription drugs? How long could you function if you were cut off from your druggist for any length of time? Also, seriously consider learning about natural, herbal medicines. Those plants growing in your “back forty” might just cure a headache, stop bleeding, or even save your life. Think about it now.

And one more suggestion, while we’re on this subject: the best resources in the world are of little use if one is physically incapable of making good use of them. In other words, GET IN SHAPE. During any kind of emergency situation, physical exertion and stamina become immensely important.

Commodities:

I suggest you have at least some cash on hand. Just about any and all disasters will result in banks being closed for extended periods of time. That also means credit card purchases being suspended. You need to have enough cash to be able to purchase essential goods (if they are even available) for an undetermined amount of time.

Of course, some survival gurus insist that during any cataclysmic climate, precious metals will become the only reliable currency. A little gold and silver could go a long way in a prolonged emergency. For that matter, with the way our fiat money system is coming unraveled, you may want to seriously consider moving your IRA accounts into precious metals, if for no other reason than to better protect your savings. Ask yourself, how much money have I already lost at the hands of these banksters in the Federal Reserve and their toadies in the stock market?

If you are interested in converting an IRA into precious metals or simply purchasing precious metals, I personally recommend that you contact my friend Chuck Coppes. He is honest and trustworthy--and no one that I know can match his overhead and profit margins. And, yes, Chuck is one of my supporters. And I am proud to return the favor. To learn more, click here.

In fact, in a disaster, what is considered a valuable commodity can change rather quickly, as the barter system takes a life of its own. What is valuable is determined by what you need and how badly you need it. In a prolonged disaster, simple things such as toilet paper, canned goods, ammunition, and clothing could become extremely valuable; while cars, video games, televisions, etc., could be reduced to junk status. In antiquity, wars were fought over things such as salt. You might be surprised to learn that there are already active barter groups in your area. I suggest you establish a relationship with these people now!

Speaking of cars, remember that during a prolonged “national emergency” that might involve some sort of nuclear attack or widespread civil unrest, an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) might be employed; in which case, most every late model vehicle would be completely inoperable. Accordingly, if one can keep an older, pre-computer-age vehicle in good working order, he or she might be driving the only non-government vehicle capable of going anywhere. Of course, you might not want to drive it to town!Self-Defense:

Needless to say, during any kind of disaster, your safety and protection will be completely up to you. If you really think that the police are going to be able to protect you during an upheaval, you are living in a dream world.

In both the New Orleans and Los Angeles disasters, police protection was non-existent. Lawless gangs quickly took control of the streets, and people were left to either defend themselves or swiftly become the helpless prey of violent marauders. In fact, in New Orleans, some of the policemen actually abandoned their oaths to uphold the law and joined with the criminals, turning their weapons upon the public.

Face it, folks: in any kind of disaster, you must be able to defend yourself, or you and your family will be meat for these animals of society that will quickly descend without mercy upon the unprepared, unsuspecting souls around them. This requires that you be armed! It also requires that you be skilled enough to be able to efficiently use your arms.

Therefore, I strongly suggest that you purchase firearms sufficient to keep you and your family safe, and also that you practice sufficiently to know how to use them.

Now, when it comes to a discussion of which firearms are preferable for self-defense, the suggestions are as varied as the people who proffer them. These are my suggestions:I believe every man (along with his wife and children of adequate age) should be proficient with the following weapons: a handgun in .38 caliber or above, a .22 rifle, a center-fire bolt-action hunting rifle, a semi-automatic battle rifle, and a shotgun.

My personal preference for a self-defense handgun is either a .45 ACP 1911 (either Colt or Kimber), a Glock .45, or a .40 S&W. In the .40 caliber, my favorite is a Glock 23. In the 1911, I like the Commander size configuration. I prefer either the Model 21 or the Model 30 in the Glock .45. And I will also admit to sometimes carrying a 9mm Glock 19 or a Smith & Wesson .357 revolver. My two favorites in this caliber are the Model 66 with a 2 1/2-inch barrel and the Model 586 with a 4-inch barrel. My wife prefers to carry a Smith & Wesson .38 caliber revolver in the snub-nose, J-frame configuration. But this is primarily due to the reduced weight of these weapons for carry purposes. If needed, she could make a good accounting of herself with the Glock 19. If you are someone who has never owned and seldom fired a handgun, I recommend you buy a Glock. They are as simple as revolvers to operate, reliable, and almost indestructible. Plus, they provide increased magazine capacity, and are safe. They are also very easy to disassemble and clean. Of course, in dangerous game territory, you will need the power of a 10mm (the Glock 20 shines here), .45 Long Colt, .44 Special or .44 Magnum, or even a .454 Casull. These calibers are not for the limp-wristed, but when one is facing a brown bear or mountain lion, it is what one will need to survive. Plus, when your life is on the line, you’ll never feel the recoil.

For a .22 rifle, I really like the Ruger 10/22. A Marlin tube-fed .22 is also very effective. The CZ bolt-action .22 just might be the most accurate .22 on the market. For a hunting rifle, my suggestion is either a .270 or .30-06 caliber bolt-action rifle. I prefer the Remington Model 700 BDL or Browning X-Bolt, but there are several fine weapons in this configuration and caliber by numerous manufacturers. In dangerous game territory, a Marlin .45-70 could be a lifesaver. For a battle rifle, I suggest an AR-15-style weapon (I prefer Bushmaster) in .223 caliber or a .308 Springfield M1A. For a shotgun, I suggest a 12-gauge pump. Here I prefer a Winchester Model 1300, which is not made anymore. So, you’ll probably have to choose between Mossberg and Remington. For ladies, however, a 20-gauge shotgun is probably a better choice, and at “bad breath” range (where a shotgun shines, anyway), it is just as lethal.

Whatever you choose, practice with it to the point that you are able to use it proficiently. And be sure you stock up on ammunition. A gun without ammo is reduced to being either an expensive club or a cumbersome paperweight.

Go to your local independent sporting goods store (I don’t recommend the large national chain stores to do your firearms shopping) and get to know your hometown firearms dealer. Most of these people are kind and helpful folks who will be more than happy to assist you in finding exactly what type of firearm is suitable for you and your family. Spiritual Power:

I firmly believe that man is created to have fellowship with his Creator-God. I really don’t know how people can face the uncertain future that we currently face without the spiritual knowledge, wisdom, comfort, and power that is made available through Jesus Christ. I believe the maxim is true: “Wise men still seek Him.” I strongly suggest that you seek to possess a personal relationship with God’s only begotten Son. In truth, spiritual preparation is far and away the most important preparation of all. Accordingly, be sure to pack a copy of God’s Word in your survival gear.

And if you have not been able to find a local church where the pastor isn’t afraid to deal with the kind of issues like I am dealing with in this column, I invite you to worship online with us at Liberty Fellowship. People all over America who are tired of these 501c3, establishment churches--who have no clue as to what is going on and who wouldn’t take a stand if they did--are tuning in to hear my messages at Liberty Fellowship every Sunday afternoon. To tune in this Sunday, click here.

That we are facing challenging days is a certainty. Exactly what that means is yet to be determined. I trust that some of my suggestions will help you be better prepared for what lies before us. Plus, here is an excellent online Survival Blog chock-full of great suggestions and resources for all things survival. Check it out.

And if you are considering relocation, please check out Joel Skousen’s web site.

And if you think you may want to relocate to the Flathead Valley of Montana, George Hudson, a man at Liberty Fellowship who “escaped” from California to locate here--and who is now helping scores of people from all over the country to resettle in our beautiful valley--may be contacted here.

Please give George a few days to email you back, but he will be happy to try to answer any questions you have about moving here.

I am sure that I have left out several items that others more qualified than me would include. I welcome their suggestions, as I am always desirous to learn from those who are wiser and more experienced. In the meantime, remember your Boy Scout motto: “Be Prepared.”

*If you appreciate this column and want to help me distribute these editorial opinions to an ever-growing audience, donations may now be made by credit card, check, or Money Order. Use this link.

© 2011 Chuck Baldwin - All Rights Reserved
    Chuck Baldwin is a syndicated columnist, radio broadcaster, author, and pastor dedicated to preserving the historic principles upon which America was founded. He was the 2008 Presidential candidate for the Constitution Party. He and his wife, Connie, have 3 children and 8 grandchildren. Chuck and his family reside in the Flathead Valley of Montana. See Chuck's complete bio here.

E-mail: chuck@chuckbaldwinlive.com

http://newswithviews.com/baldwin/baldwin671.htm
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-04-2012 at 01:20 AM.

THE DOOM AND BLOOM(tm) SHOW with Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy

Traditional and Alternative Medical Strategies for Survival in times of trouble. Dr Bones is a Medical Doctor and Nurse Amy is An Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner who are Preppers and Certified Master Gardeners.Please use WWW.DOOMandBLOOM.net to bookmark this site. See our Collapse Medicine, Organic Vegetable and Medicinal Garden You Tube videos at our channel "Drbonespodcast". Twitter is @preppershow

The Formula for Making Insulin

Hey Prepper Nation,

One of the questions I am asked most often is how to deal with Type 1 (Insulin-Dependent) diabetics in a collapse situation. I have been informed that Insulin was prepared in Singapore during WWII, in an effort to produce medicine for those in the Jewish community that were denied access to Insulin. I have been unable to find the specific process used there, but (searching far and wide) I have come upon a post by SWZ-Ben, moderator at the excellent survivalistboards.com forum. The link to his post is:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=33479

In this post, Ben published the original lecture by Frederick Banting who, along with Charles Best, produced Insulin for the first time in 1922. The lecture is from 1925. Here it is:

"The present method of preparation is as follows. The beef or pork pancreas is finely minced in a larger grinder and the minced material is then treated with 5 c.c. of concentrated sulphuric acid, appropriately diluted, per pound of glands. The mixture is stirred for a period of three or four hours and 95% alcohol is added until the concentration of alcohol is 60% to 70%. Two extractions of the glands are made. The solid material is then partially removed by centrifuging the mixture and the solution is further clarified by filtering through paper. The filtrate is practically neutralized with NaOH. The clear filtrate is concentrated in vacuo to about 1/15 of its original volume.

The concentrate is then heated to 50oC which results in the separation of lipoid and other materials, which are removed by filtration. Ammonium sulphate (37 grams. per 100 c.c.) is then added to the concentrate and a protein material containing all the Insulin floats to the top of the liquid. The precipitate is skimmed off and dissolved in hot acid alcohol. When the precipitate has completely dissolved, 10 volumes of warm alcohol are added. The solution is then neutralized with NaOH and cooled to room temperature, and kept in a refrigerator at 5oC for two days. At the end of this time the dark coloured supernatant alcohol is decanted off. The alcohol contains practically no potency. The precipitate is dried in vacuo to remove all trace of the alcohol. It is then dissolved in acid water, in which it is readily soluble. The solution is made alkaline with NaOH to PH 7.3 to 7.5. At this alkalinity a dark coloured precipitate settles out, and is immediately centrifuged off. This precipitate is washed once or twice with alkaline water of PH 9.0 and the washings are added to the main liquid.

It is important that this process be carried out fairly quickly as Insulin is destroyed in alkaline solution. The acidity is adjusted to PH 5.0 and a white precipitate readily settles out. Tricresol is added to a concentration of 0.3% in order to assist in the isoelectric precipitation and to act as a preservative. After standing one week in the ice chest the supernatant liquid is decanted off and the resultant liquid is removed by centrifuging. The precipitate is then dissolved in a small quantity of acid water.

A second isoelectric precipitation is carried out by adjusting the acidity to a PH of approximately 5.0. After standing over night the resultant precipitate is removed by centrifuging. The precipitate, which contains the active principle in a comparatively pure form, is dissolved in acid water and the hydrogen ion concentration adjusted to PH 2.5. The material is carefully tested to determine the potency and is then diluted to the desired strength of 10, 20, 40 or 80 units per c.c. Tricresol is added to secure a concentration of 0.1 percent. Sufficient sodium chloride is added to make the solution isotonic. The Insulin solution is passed through a Mandler filter. After passing through the filter the Insulin is retested carefully to determine its potency. There is practically no loss in berkefelding. The tested Insulin is poured into sterile glass vials with aseptic precautions and the sterility of the final product thoroughly tested by approved methods."

My first impression is that, in a grid-down situation, we are going to be thrown back medically to a time period before 1922. Banting had access to centrifuges and a number of chemicals that will be inaccessible to us in a collapse. We might not even be able to produce ice! Searching for ingredients, I could only find Tricresol (a type of formalin) at dental supply stores; also, what the heck is Berkfelding? It seems clear that you'll need a lot more than your kid's chemistry set to put this stuff together.

So, what can we do? It seems clear to me that perfect control of our Type 1 diabetics will be highly unlikely, but it may be possible to prevent life-threatening glucose levels as seen in Diabetic Ketoacidosis. The strategy I'm discussing is not for use in any circumstance where there are doctors, hospitals, and modern medical care. It is only my thoughts on what to do in a societal collapse.

Consider stockpiling oral medications such as Metformin in the highest doses available, and place your diabetics on these when the Insulin runs out. These medicines help counteract Insulin resistance, and what little Insulin your diabetics produce naturally may have more of an effect to lower blood sugars. Strict dietary restriction barely enough to maintain weight will also be necessary, in the form of frequent, very small meals. Maintain a reasonable level of activity, and hope for society to restabilize. Use whatever natural supplements might have an effect, such as Chromium, Magnesium and ionic Vanadium. Herbs that purport to have an effect in lowering sugar levels include Cinnamon, Fenugreek, Bitter Melon, and American Ginseng. I can't promise you glucose control, however, as I have no experience with them as a diabetic treatment.

With regards to major medical issues such as Diabetes, we will have to improvise in an effort to keep our people free of life-threatening Ketoacidosis. In a collapse, we will have to realize that, sometimes, something is better than nothing.

Dr. Bones

http://doctorbonesandamyshow.blogspo...g-insulin.html
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-04-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Senate Votes To Keep The Potato On School Lunch Menus

October 21, 2011 by Personal Liberty News Desk

The Senate stood up to President Barack Obama on Tuesday. The legislative body rebuffed an effort by the Commander In Chief to limit the consumption of the potato for millions of schoolchildren around the country, The New York Times reported.

According to the newspaper, the Obama Administration proposed limiting the amount of potatoes and other starchy vegetables that can be served in school lunches to one cup per student per week, along with banning spuds from breakfast entirely.

Several key legislators noted that the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the President were too ambitious in this latest proposal.

“The department was well intended in trying to improve the nutritional quality of school meals,” Senator Susan Collins (R-Maine), told The Times. “But in this case it just missed and went too far.”

Collins went on to note that the potato is a cheap and nutritious way to feed schoolchildren, especially in a time when budgets at these schools are strapped for cash, according to The Associated Press.

Several other Republican legislators spoke out against the proposal, saying they felt the government should not control what students eat, the news outlet reported

http://www.personalliberty.com/news/...011_10_21_PLA_[P11381863]&rrid=394840754
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-04-2012 at 01:31 AM.

No one, not the police, not a private company, not a private individual has the right to put you under surveillance without a court order

Beware the Smart Electric Meter - It's Coming for YOU!

- Joan R. Neubauer
    Thursday, October 20, 2011

Many electric companies have installed “Smart Meters” on homes all over the country, and they plan to do the same with every house in America, including yours. These nifty little electronic wonders track when you turn something on or off, and how many watts your appliances pull. They also have the added feature of being radio transmitters, and as such, they send the record of electric usage over wireless networks that bounce from smart meter to smart meter to its final destination, a computer at the electric company.

The data they collect shows the electric company a variety of things like when you’re at home, sleeping, on vacation, or have visitors. They can see when you turn on your computer, have a cake in the oven, or if you may be running a business out of your home. In short, it gets inside your home and monitors your living patterns.

Such personal surveillance amounts to a warrantless search, a clear violation of our 4th Amendment rights. And it goes on continually, day after day.
    Once the electric company receives the data, they store it and have the freedom to sell it to whomever they please or provide it to the police upon request. In fact, because smart meters are radio transmitters, anyone can intercept the data. In essence, you might as well be living in a glass house.

No case on smart meters has gone to court yet, but if it ever does, I wonder how they’ll reconcile the right to privacy the Supreme Court read into the 4th Amendment as the basis for Roe v. Wade with the electric company’s “need to know.”

You can tell if you have a smart meter on your home if you look at the meter and find that it has a “1-WATT” written on the label. In addition, it will say that it’s been licensed by the FCC (Federal Communications Commission).

Currently, police in Texas, Ohio, British Columbia and other places, routinely use electronic data to find marijuana grow houses, enforce business licenses and other laws. Unusual power patterns get the attention of the electric company and the police consider it probable cause to raid a residence for a variety of violations.

If you don’t already have a smart meter and the electric company comes to your home to say they’d like to install a new meter, you don’t have to give your consent. They don’t tell you they’re installing a smart meter, yet if you give your consent, they consider that you have agreed to the surveillance device.

If you already have a smart meter on your house, you can send the electric company a certified letter requesting its immediate removal. And if you want it removed, make sure you keep reminding them to come and change it out, since I’m sure they’ll drag their feet on this little work order.

No one, not the police, not a private company, not a private individual has the right to put you under surveillance without a court order. They can’t install a wiretap without such an order and this device is no different.

Check out your meter today. If it’s a smart meter, get smart and get it gone.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/41517
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-04-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Ridin out the Recession

Stuffed Potato Soup, Soup Beans and Skillet Cornbread, and Chicken Soup With Homemade Noodles:

Posted on October 18, 2011 by admin

Posted on October 18, 2011 by adminWell guys, cold weather is beginning to show itself again. Much more so for you “Northerners!” I personally consider a “Northerner” say, from Tallahassee on up!
    So, I don’t know about the rest of you, but this time of the year means we’ll start eating more soups. Deb and I both enjoy most types of soups, stews and chili, and one of the best attributes of a good ole pot of soup is simply…the more you re-heat it, the better flavored they are!
    Add to the mix a big ole slice of cornbread, or maybe a “cathead biscuit” or two, and well…it don’t get much better than that, wouldn’t you agree? Throw in a small garden salad to boot, and you won’t get much conversation at all from me while at the dinner table. Basically, you talk…I’ll eat!
    We do like a small salad with our soup, but many soups have all you need already in the pot. This in itself means convenience to a working family. One pot, one small mess to cleanup, one time cooking besides just rewarming and shoot, you can do that in the microwave.
    You could put them on to cook in a crock pot, and by the time you get home, there she is…a meal waiting to be et! Then, if you’d like, put the leftovers in a zip lock bag, or food saver bag, and freeze for a later time!
    Before we get started with our recipes, we got a good joke from Bill and Sandy.
    Yes, they’re the same two that had me eatin crow after the Florida-Bama game…anyway, here’s the joke!
    Two good ol’ boys in a Tennessee trailer park were sitting around talking one afternoon over a cold beer after getting off of work at the local Nissan plant. After a while the 1st guy says to the 2nd, “If’n I was to sneak over to your trailer Saturday & make love to your wife while you was off huntin’ and she got pregnant and had a baby, would that make us kin?”
    The 2nd guy crooked his head sideways for a minute, scratched his head, and squinted his eyes thinking real hard about the question. Finally, he says, “Well, I don’t know about kin, but it would make us even!”
    The recipes today come from, “At My Grandmother’s Knee,” by Faye Porter, and published by Thomas Nelson, Nashville, Tennessee.
    The book is well received by both Deb and I, and has little individual stories from the contributing families. To us, we feel it is a good read, with numerous, good recipes between the covers…
    Stuffed Potato Soup:
    • 4 cups water, divided
    • 4 chicken bouillon cubes
    • ¼ chopped onion
    • 1 cup milk
    • 2 cans (10.75 ounces each) cream of chicken soup
    • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/8 teaspoon onion salt
    • 6 cups cubed potatoes
    • 1 pound Velveeta cheese, cubed
    • Sliced green onion tops (optional, though not to me…the onion tops go in it! Dub)
    • Crumbled bacon (optional…ditto, same as the green onion tops…put em in it! Dub)
    In a large pot or Dutch oven, combine 1 cup of water, the bouillon cubes, and the onion and simmer for 30 minutes.
    In a large saucepan combine the 3 remaining cups of water, the milk, the cream of chicken soup, garlic powder, and onion salt. Cook over low heat until the soup is creamy and any lumps have been stirred out.
    Pour the soup mixture into the Dutch oven with the bouillon and onion mixture. Add the potatoes and cook over medium heat. When the potatoes are almost done, add the cheese. Remove from the heat so the cheese doesn’t stick. Once the cheese has substantially melted, return the pot to low heat and simmer until you are ready to serve. Top with sliced green onions tops or bacon, if desired.
    Jenny Lewis…Nashville, Tennessee
    Soup Beans and Skillet Cornbread:
    The Soup…
    • 1 one pound package of dried pinto beans
    • 1 ham hock
    • 5-1/2 cups of water
    • 4 slices hickory-smoked bacon
    • ½ teaspoon black pepper
    • ½ teaspoon salt, divided
    Soak the beans overnight in water and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Drain the beans and rinse with cold water.
    Place the beans and ham hock in a large pot and cover with 5-1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, stir, reduce the heat to low, and cover. Cook for about 2 hours, stirring frequently. Make sure the beans stay covered with water. Add the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt and pepper to season as you cook.
    Fry the bacon until done and save the drippings. Crumble the bacon and add to the soup mixture, along with the drippings. Cook an additional 60 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently.
    The Cornbread:
    • 6 slices thick bacon (save the grease)
    • 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
    • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • 1 large egg
    • 1 cup buttermilk
    • ½ cup of water
    Preheat your oven to 450. Fry the bacon in a cast iron skillet. Keep the grease warm in the skillet after frying the bacon. Set the bacon aside for another use. Place the cornmeal, flour, eggs, buttermilk, water, and half of the bacon grease in a large bowl and stir until the mixture is the consistency of cake batter. Add more water, if needed. You want just enough grease left in the skillet to coat the bottom and the sides; if you have too much pour the extra out.
    Pour the batter into the skillet. Place the skillet into the oven and bake for 30 minutes, checking often. Remove from the oven and slice immediately.
    When ready to eat, ladle the soup into individual bowls. Crumble a slice of hot cornbread into each bowl, mix, and serve.
    Michelle Fleming…Nashville, Tennessee
    Chicken Soup With Homemade Noodles:
    The Noodles…
    • 1 cup all-purpose flour
    • ¼ teaspoon salt
    • 2 tablespoons water
    • 1 large egg, beaten
    To make the noodles, mix the flour and salt in a small bowl, making a well in the center. Add the water and egg. Using your fingers, form the dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it sit for 60 minutes.
    **To finish the noodles, go to the very bottom of the soup recipe…
    The Soup…
    • 1 chicken (3 pounds), cut-up
    • ½ cup chopped onion, divided
    • 2 chicken bouillon cubes
    • 1 bay leaf
    • ½ teaspoon black pepper
    • ½ cup celery
    • 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
    To make the soup, rinse the raw chicken well. In a large pot or Dutch oven, combine the chicken with ¼ cup of the onions, the bouillon cubes, bay leaf, pepper, and enough hot water to cover. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
    Remove the chicken and chop in into bite-size pieces, discarding the skin and bones. Skim any grease off the top of the broth and add enough water to measure 7 to 8 cups. Add the chicken pieces, celery, carrots, and remaining ¼ cup of onion. Bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until the carrots are crisp-tender. Remove the bay leaf.

**Now finish your noodles. Roll out the dough as thin as possible on a floured work surface. Fold it loosely into thirds and then cut it into ½ inch slices. Unfold the dough and cut on the former fold lines. Drop the dough into the simmering soup. Simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes or, until the noodles are tender.

Debby White…White House, Tennessee

http://ridinouttherecession.com/?p=987

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-04-2012 at 05:33 PM.