Page 48 of 835 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148548 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 8 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 8 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Quinoa Is A Great Way To Introduce Nutrition And Variety Into Diets

January 17, 2011 by Personal Liberty News Desk

While commonly referred to as a grain, quinoa is a jewel-like seed that turns into a fluffy mound when cooked and can pack protein, fiber and amino acids into a diet. With so many varieties of the seed and recipes to be found, using quinoa is a great way to try new things while improving overall health.

According to the United States Department of Agriculture, one cup of quinoa delivers five grams of fiber, nine essential amino acids and eight grams of protein — making it a great, gluten-free source of nutrition for vegetarians and the health-conscious alike.

Quinoa comes in a rainbow of colors and each variety has its own unique flavor, Alex Postman, editor-in-chief of Martha Stewart's Whole Living magazine said in an article on the website of San Jose Mercury News.

"It comes in a spectrum of colors, from white to pink, orange and black. I would advise first-timers to start with the lighter types, because those are a little blander," Postman told the news source.

The seeds need to be rinsed before cooking to remove a bitter coating and can then be simmered in a 1:2 ratio of quinoa to water or stock for 10 to 15 minutes.

Postman said it tastes great when mixed with a vinaigrette or pesto and leftover roasted vegetables.

http://www.personalliberty.com/news/...2011_01_17_PLA_
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-01-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Emergency Preparedness Supplies & More!

At The Ready Store our goal is to offer the finest emergency preparedness and survival supplies available anywhere. Our purchasing power allows us to provide great products at the best prices. But if you really want to be prepared you need great information to go along with the emergency supplies. Thats why we introduced the survival and emergency preparedness blog. If you have questions about anything don't hesitate to contact us. Below are some of the emergency supplies we specialize in.

Food Storage

One of the foundations of a comprehensive emergency preparedness plan is a food storage supply. Ideally you would have enough food storage for you and your family to shelter in place for at least several months. If you have to leave home you'll want to have at least a 72 hour survival kit. Freeze dried foods and mixes provide the longest shelf life while preserving the taste and nutrition of your food storage. A critical part of your food storage plan is water storage and filters.

MRE's & Military Meals

MRE's (Military Meals Ready to Eat) are portable rations that are the same or very similar to the meals used by US Military personnel. An MRE can be stored safely for several years and provide both emergency food and water rations when needed.

Freeze Dried Food

Since freeze dried food can last for as long as 30 years and still maintain most of its nutritional value (along with its light weight), its often used as the building block for a comprehensive emergency preparedness plan. We carry Saratoga Farms and Mountain House freeze dried food which is available in many different kits and sizes from pouches to #10 cans.

Our Story| About Us| Contact Us| Affiliates| Terms of Use| Privacy Policy| Shipping Policy| Return Policy| Lowest Price Guarantee| ReadyNation Radio| ReadyRewards FAQ

12767-103-102-000

http://www.thereadystore.com/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-01-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Top 10 Survival Downloads You Should Have

Author: Contributing Author- December 31st, 2010
    28 Comments

The following article has been generously contributed for your reading pleasure by Rourke at Modern Survival Online. We strongly urge our readers to take Rourke’s advice and download or print (or both) the following guides, which are available 100% free. Ideally, retain a paper copy if you have a survival folder, and save a copy to your reserve USB drive, which should be a component of your bug out survival bag or stored at your bug out location.

There are tons of good downloads in the Survival Database Downloadsection of this website. For this article I have selected 10 that everyone should have either printed and put away, or placed on a USB drive or better yet both.
    So let’s get to it:
    #10. FM 4-25-11 First Aid (2002)Military First Aid Manual.First aid information is a must get training before you need it use this manual for reference.
    #9. Guide to Canning Being able to preserve crops to be able to provide for yourself and your family long after the growing season is over is important. This guide will help with that.
    #8. Rangers Handbook (2006) Crammed with info on demolitions, booby traps, communications, patrolling, tactical movement, battle drills, combat intelligence and much more
    #7. Where There is No Dentist – The author uses straightforward language and careful instructions to explain how to: examine patients; diagnose common dental problems; make and use dental equipment; use local anesthetics; place fillings; and remove teeth.
    #6. NATO Emergency War Surgery While this is certainly not a manual that would stand alone in most persons emergency/disaster library, it is an absolutely necessary resource if you expect to handle any type of trauma where immediate comprehensive medical care is not available.
    #5. A Guide to Raised Bed Gardening This is not an €œall knowing€ gardening book however it provides a lot of information to the urban gardener before or after TSHTF. Best to get the experience and knowledge of gardening NOW rather than later.
    #4. FM 3-06 Combined Arms Operations in Urban Terrain – Combat techniques covered in the manual which may be very valuable in a €œRoadwarrior€-type world.
    #3. 1881 Household Cyclopedia A massive resource of information that much of it has been lost over the past 203 generations. From Angling to Knitting its here.
    #2. FM 21-76-1 Survival-Evasion-Recovery (1999) Excellent manual geared towards the soldier that finds himself behind enemy lines
    #1. FM 21-76 US Army Survival Manual – From Amazon.com: This manual has been written to help you acquire survival skills. It tells you how to travel, find water and food, shelter yourself from the weather and care for yourself if you become sick or injured. This information is first treated generally and then applied specifically to such special areas as the Arctic, the desert, the jungle and the ocean.1970 Military Issue Manual. General Introduction and Individual and Group Survival Orientation Navigation, Finding Water In All Parts of The Globe. How To Obtain Food, Start a Fire and much more!
    Bugout cabin??

Well, there’s my list. Best of all they are all 100% free. So, feel free to download them all.

Rourke

http://www.shtfplan.com/emergency-pr...-have_12312010
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-01-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-01-2012 at 11:34 AM.

"This is truly Amazing Sapper7, you Ol' Mother Duck! We can't even begin to thank you enough for all you've done here!"

"This is simply Amazing!"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I just see a world of shit going on Steve and just like you are the best at roofing.. I guess this is what I am best at stuff like this

I wish this crazy crap would just stop so i could get on with my life; but in the mean time, I'm just trying to be of help to really good people the best that I can

Oh... in my 21.5 years in the army I have been through numerous survival courses; some of them intense. Think of me just paying it forward, tax dollars trained me, so think of this is the payback

Sapper you're the best friend America has!
    "And I still believe George Washington is crossin' the river, it's just takin' a little while to get across(pun intended) I learned that one yesterday!
    "Thanks! AirbourneSapper7 thanks for lookin' out!"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Most Viewed Ready Nutrition Articles of 2010

Tess Pennington
    ReadyNutrition.com
    January 1st, 2011

2010 was a year of firsts for me and my family. It was the first time I began blogging and writing articles about my experiences with emergency preparedness, the first time I had been interviewed on a radio program, the first time I had been recognized by anyone for preparing, and the first time I truly felt accepted by a group of people who are like minded.

We all have similar stories as to why we began to prepare. For many of us, seeing images of 9-11 and the victims of Hurricane Katrina begging for assistance made us wake up to the idea that we have to take care of ourselves and to stop being dependent on the government bodies to take care of our immediate needs. In the process of stopping our co-dependency on government bodies, we learned ways to be more self sufficient. One of my favorite articles I wrote this year was Freedom Through Self Reliance. While writing this article, I was able to recognize this as the path I wanted to travel down; and in the process, lead others down.

Thomas Jefferson once said, “I was bold in the pursuit of knowledge, never fearing to follow the truth and reason to whatever results they led, and bearing every authority which stood in their way.” 2010 was a pursuit of knowledge for me, and single handed the most important experience I walked away with. If a person can equip themselves with knowledge and experience, then they are far greater off than many others.

I wanted to share the most viewed Ready Nutrition articles of 2010. Perhaps you have already read them, or may want to share them with others who are like minded. I hope and pray that blessings will shower down upon you in 2011. Happy New Year.
    Top Viewed Articles of 2010

Survival Food Series: 25 Survival Seeds You Need For Your Garden

Emergency Items: What Will Disappear First

Having a Water Supply During a Long Term Disaster

Home Invasion: Preventative Security Layers to Protect the Home

9 Things to Consider Before You Ever Grow a Survival Garden

Federal Food Police Coming Soon To A Farm Near You

When to Bug Out: Knowing the Signs

10 Essential Skills Necessary for Survival

James Rawles: Salt Will Be The #1 Bartering Item

A Free Falling Economy Makes Bartering Go Boom

Author: Tess Pennington
    Web Site: http://www.readynutrition.com/

Date: January 1st, 2011
    Related Categories: Media

Related Reading:

http://readynutrition.com/resources/...2010_01012011/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-01-2012 at 11:36 AM.

City Residents Combat Tough Economic Times With Urban Farms

January 19, 2011 by Personal Liberty News Desk

Many Americans have turned to the practice of urban farming to achieve self-sufficiency amidst a struggling economy, rising inflation costs and unsanitary food manufacturing that has led to a flurry of product recalls.

The urban farming movement has expanded significantly in the last several years. According to UrbanFarming.org, the initiative that began with three gardens in 2005 has flourished into more than 800 gardens in approximately 30 cities throughout the United States. Aside from the health and fiscal benefits, many city dwellers are embracing the joys of a new hobby.

According to a recent report by NPR, Novella Carpenter of Oakland, Calif., is raising her own goats. Carpenter, who is a writer by trade, said that she takes great pride in her livestock, which she called "pets with benefits."

"Their milk is so good and then it makes really, really creamy yummy cheese too," Carpenter told the media outlet.

Holly Burke, who served as a judge at the recent All American Dairy Goat Show in Texas, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that goats offer many benefits for farmers, such as their tendency to consume unwanted weeds and shrubs. Burke also said that they are economical and fun to raise, and they require much less space than larger livestock.

http://www.personalliberty.com/news/...2011_01_19_PLA_
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-01-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Dub and Deb from "Miz Judi's Kitchen!"

Nannie Murphy, Dubs Lasagna, and Mommas Chicken and Dumplins

By Dub and Deb
    Friday, January 21, 2011

Good morning everybody, and welcome back to “Miz Judi’s Kitchen!”

You know, I met a good friend of mine last week for lunch. Harold, we’ve known for years through bein a business associate and has literally became a good friend as well.

We were talkin over lunch about the economy and the effect it’s had on both of our families and some of our friends too. But you know what, I told Harold that even with the drop in our business, and the tough decisions we were being forced to make, I had to say that honestly, I’ve never been happier in my entire life!

This is for a couple reasons, the first bein that Deb and I have always been frugal when it comes to spendin money. Oh, sure, we’ve had our tough times, and today “ain’t no bed a roses,” for sure, but you know what, “The good Lord provides!” There’s a lot of truth in the old sayin, “If you’re dealt lemons…make lemonade!”

The second bein that Deb and I never expected anything! Life literally is a challenge. No one told ya it’d be easy, they didn’t me for sure, always the opposite, and most important of all, to me, is this simple fact…no one owes you anything!

Our government today has taken that last statement and just totally twisted, abused and misconstrued it to the point of convincing many, many Americans it is literally a falsehood. This is one of our biggest problems we face today as a nation!

People now truly believe they’re owed something, and this to me is a crock! Why? Because they’ve been convinced by our government, no “brainwashed” is a better word, that we the working, productive American should and will share the fruits of our labor with them, whether they “hit a lick at a snake, or not!”

But, enough of that! Let’s fire off the cook stove and have some fun!

You know, I stated earlier that Deb and I are pretty frugal, and I gotta tell ya I had two pretty good teachers! The first being my Dad, the second was my Mom’s Mother, who to me was “Nannie Murphy!”

I know we all have “special people” in our lives and Nannie was exactly that in mine! We never spoke by phone, not once, that she didn’t always ask, “son, are ya stayin warm? Do ya have enough to eat, or do ya have plenty of socks, etc.” Every single time! She loved everyone in her family, and I miss her!

Anyway, Nannie I believe, invented the term frugal. I heard one time that she and a neighbor were walkin to town one morning, and happened upon a penny layin on the sidewalk. The way I heard it there was a heck of a tussle right there up town, over this dern penny! They said one had one side pullin and a tuggin, while the other was a hangin on to the other side of that one penny, and the end result was neither ended up with it, but…copper wire had its beginning!

One other quick story about Nannie and her thriftiness is actually a true story. I’d get around friends of mine and tell this story to em, and Nannie would be denyin it, laughin the whole time, but knew in her heart it was true!

Mom tells me I was two-three years old, just really beginin to get around a little bit. Well, Nannie knew exactly, to the penny, how much money she had in her purse whether it be bills in her wallet, or change in her change purse at all times, bar none. Exactly!

We’d, Mom, Nannie and myself had just came back from town, and evidently they were in Nannie’s livin room and I’d slipped off into the kitchen. Well a youngin bein a youngin, I was into everythin, and this particular day bein no different.

I’d gotten into Nannie’s change purse and dumped it in the floor, and I guess they’d heard all that change hittin the floor and Mom says Nannie was off to the kitchen “like a rocket!” Mom said they came around the corner and there I sat, underneath Nannie’s kitchen table surrounded by “Nannie’s change.”

Mom said as soon as they saw me under that table Nannie’s expression immediately went to one of anger, cold boilin anger over her money! Now of course I don’t remember any of this, but Mom says she snatched me up and took me outside, outta harms way. Mom says she looked back once and Nannie was on her hands and knees up underneath that table pickin up change.
    Once we got outside, Mom had sat me down and was just beginin to git me involved in something else and BOOM, that screen door flew open and Nannie started hollerin, “SHAKE HIM DOWN RUTH…THERE"S A DIME MISSIN!!”

Honestly, that’s a true story, and as you can tell, I had no choice but to be frugal…it’s a runnin through my genes!! I’ll remember my Nannie for as long as I live!

On that note, how bout we go on in “Miz Judi’s Kitchen” and we’ll cook up some a Dub’s lasagna today!
    Dub’s Lasagna:

Once again, this is a “double batch” and we food saver and freeze what we don’t eat, then take it out, thaw it, and presto, another meal that just needs heatin up!
    • 2lbs. hamburger (I know, I know hamburger again…but this is really good!)
    • 2-boxes Lasagna Noodles (I guess that’s what ya call em…noodles??)
    • 2- 12oz. packs of sliced mozzarella cheese
    • 1-32 oz. container of parmesan cheese
    • 1-32 oz. container ricotta cheese
    • 4- 28 oz. cans whole tomatoes
    • 2- 12 oz. cans tomato sauce
    • 2- 12 oz. cans of tomato soup
    • 1 Large onion
    • 2 eggs
    Just a pinch of oregano and I use a pinch of basil too

1/4 cup sugar (For Richard: before I forget again, oven temp. is 350!!)

I dice my whole tomatoes first, and put them and all juice outta the can into a LARGE pot. I then empty all the tomato sauce and tomato soup into the pot, adding the basil and oregano as well, and cook over med. heat on stovetop until it starts to slightly boil, the cook on low…maybe #3 setting on your stove…stir from time to time.

Once I get that pot going, I then take a large skillet and brown the hamburger and onion, mushrooms added would be good as well. Once beginin to brown I drain the grease off, put back into the skillet and brown well this time, drainin the grease once more(very little this time), and then add this to your pot of tomatoes and stir in well. At this point I add the cup of sugar. You can use more or less, depending on your own taste, but I do think the sugar sets this recipe off, so don’t leave it out! Stir it in well, too.

In reality, the longer you simmer this on the stovetop, the better the flavor becomes, kinda like soups, the longer you allow them to simmer the better they taste, at least that’s what I find.
    I then in another pot, put the noodles on to boil. I like to add just a touch of olive oil as I find they don’t stick together so bad after coolin. Cook these 10-12 minutes, or until tender, remember you’ve got 2 boxes, not 1 in your pot. Allow for this. Stir them some occasionally as well to keep from stickin.

I’ve found the more pots I use, the more aggravated Deb is with me, as she’s the designated dishwasher, and from my standpoint in regards to this…mission accomplished!

This whole while you’ve continued cooking the tomatoes, hamburger, etc. stirring ever so often, and just continue doin this for now.

Once your noodles are done, drain them and let cool. Get a large bowl and we’ll mix the parmesan cheese, the ricotta cheese and 2 eggs together really well. Get it to a smooth consistency. Bear with me, you’re gittin close!

Grab ya a LARGE baking pan, or if you don’t have one this large, simply use two smaller ones, you could put two side by side in the oven. I personally use those throwaway pans you can pick up at the grocery store. For this recipe, the size you’d like to use is the one you’d bake a turkey in. Ya might wanna make sure it’d hold a BIG turkey!

At this point spray Pam on pan bottom and sides. Pre-heat oven to 350.

Now, you want to barely cover the bottom of the pan with your sauce, I use a coffee cup for this. Once you have the bottom covered pretty well, layout your lasagna noodles until you have a “nice bed” of them. Now take your cup and pour some more sauce over them, covering well.

You then want to start spooning your parmesan and ricotta mix over this sauce and noodles. Once it’s put over your hot sauce, it’ll start breakin down some, so try to spread it out best ya can. Layer your sliced Mozzarella over this now, maybe 4-5 slices.

Now continue this just as we just did until your ingredients are used up. Noodles, sauce, parmesan ricotta mix, the mozzarella, just continue layerin. You want to end up from this cycle with…mozzarella on top!

Then cover pan with foil, and cook for approx. 1 hour. Open oven, take off foil and cook another 15-20 minutes, or until your cheeses start to brown. Take out and sit on stovetop for approx. an hour for your sauce and cheeses to set up a little. Dig in!

All of our family, friends and neighbors love this dish…I hope you do too!

Dub out!

I was sittin back listening to Dub talk about his Nannie Murphy this morning and I’m here to tell ya, she was, one great Nannie, the best!

While hearing him speak about her, I got to thinking about my Momma this morning. I lost both my parents young, Daddy first, when I was 13, and Momma 17 years ago. I just want to say, respect and love your parents as they’ll not be here with you to enjoy all the good times throughout your life as you’d like… so don’t take them for granted! I miss them both.

On a lighter note, Momma lived on a piece of land that my sister and I both had homes on with our families. Dub, being my second husband, hadn’t entered our lives yet, though sometimes it seems I’ve never been without him, and I’m still tryin to figure out if that’s a compliment or…just kiddin Dub.

Anyway with Chris, my sister, and I living on Momma’s land, well, let me just say, “She didn’t miss a trick, God bless her!” This said, my oldest Josh, though both today consider Dub their Dad, and will tell ya quick this is the case, was seven and Mark was four in regards to what I’m fixin to share with ya.

Josh really never got into anything as a child, but lordy Mark couldn’t stay outta nothin! It was non- stop, all the time he just always seemed to be right in the middle of something he had no business bein into in the first place!

Chris my sister had a girl Tammy, and a son Tony who was 5 months younger than my Mark. Tony though not quite as bad, and I’m using quite, quite liberally here, was himself a regular “Dennis the Menace,” in his own right!! Put them two together, and at the very least you needed to take your phone off the hook!

Now my Momma was never at a loss for words, and also believed and was firmly committed to the simple fact, you told it just like it was! Her friends, neighbors, her children and even her grand-children, if you ticked Momma off, you paid the price!

Well one morning those two had taken off over to Momma’s while Chris and I were both cleaning our homes. An hour or so later Momma called me raisin cane, and evidently had called Chris about the same time as she was coming out her front door as I was coming out mine.

I hollered over to Chris, “Did Momma just call you, and she answered that she indeed had! I asked Chris what Momma had told her over the phone, and Chris answered back verbatim what Momma had told me, which was, “If you want these two little “blankety blanks”...then you better come get em!”

It seems those two boys had gotten behind Momma’s house and had found her drink bottles she’d been savin. Back then you used to get a deposit on the bottles you returned. Well Momma had a considerable amount stacked up neatly in the boxes they came from the store in.

I guess those boys, bein around 4 at the time, just couldn’t take the pressure of them bottles stacked up so nice and neat, and decided they’d just have to do something about that…and they did! Them boys had slipped back there and commenced to breakin every bottle Momma had…glass everywhere!!

Momma had already tore their tails up, and was fit to be tied, still fightin mad over these two by the time Chris and I made it there. We gathered em up and took em back home outta Momma’s sight for the next day or two, but don’t think Chris and I didn’t hear about it for awhile. I have to say though trouble followed those two around, morning noon, and night!

Momma if you were still alive and well today, I promise you, that you’d be very proud indeed of those two little blankety blanks, for sure…they both are fine men today!
    Momma too, bless her soul, loved us all as well, but if you “crossed her” look out!

In honor of my Momma, here’s her recipe for:
    Momma’s Chicken and Dumplin’s:

• 1 whole chicken
    • 3 cups of self-rising flour
    • 1-1/2 cup of milk (If for some reason you’d possibly run out of milk, you can substitute water, instead of making a trip to store)
    • 3 teaspoons of grease. (I use regular Crisco in the can, new or used)
    Fill a good size double-handle cooking pot a little over half full of water. Boil your chicken until done, maybe adding a couple of cups of water during cooking, and save all your broth in pot. Tear chicken from bone and I actually just shred it in my hands.

Pour your 3 cups of flour in a large mixing bowl. Place your 3 teaspoons of grease and pour in the 1-1/2 cups of milk. Mix well, with the end result kind of like a paste.

Sprinkle flour on a cutting board, cover fairly well, as this will prevent your mix from sticking to the cutting board. Dump mix out of the mixing bowl onto the cutting board. Roll mix around in the flour, adding more flour on the board if needed, you’ll be able to tell. The mix will try to stick if you don’t. Continue this, until mix is fairly covered in the dry flour.

At this point use a rolling pin and roll mix out on board until the mix is thin. You can use a glass to roll out mix if you don’t happen to have a rolling pin.

Bring your broth you’d saved earlier, back to a boil. Add your chicken, and then start cutting your mix into small 1inch by 1 inch squares, adding them to the pot as you cut them. If need be, take a fork and push dumplings down into broth.

Cook approx. 15-20 minutes on just under medium heat on stovetop, keeping a lid on your pot while cooking. On my stovetop I use the #4 setting. As your dumpling start to swell, and trying to come to the top in the broth, keep a close check, as they’re really close to being done. This is something that will come to you the more you cook them.

Turn burner off and let sit 10 minutes or so, again keeping lid on pot, as this thickens broth just a little. Salt and pepper to taste, then serve em up!

God Bless All!
    Deb
    Reader Tips:

Instead of using tomato soup on top of the peppers, please try chili sauce
    for the last 5 minutes they bake. Delicious!
    —Susan Connelly
    Woodstock, GA

Thanks Susan! That does sound really good, Dub and I will try it for sure!

This from Teresa:

I enjoyed your info and your words. You would be fun to live around!
    I would love to have recipes, one thing though, I do not eat any meat, no, not even chicken, but the eggs will be for all my rescues. So when you put meat I will use my morningstar brand soy meat. I decided when I was six to not eat meat and Im now almost 60 boy did I make my parents mad. I use to have to sit at the kitchen table for hours and hours and then would sneak down later to eat cerel. lol Those were the days. Thanks again for your humor and stories.
    —Teresa

Teresa, thanks so much for your comments, we really appreciate them. If anyone out there are vegetarians as well, could you send in your recipes too?

Teresa, Dub says tell you he wished he’d known you years ago. His reasoning is since you didn’t eat meat, he says you’d a been a “cheap date!!” lol!

Again thanks to everyone for their tips, and just sending in your comments. Once more, together we’ll make this happen!

Love each and everyone of ya, and God bless you all!

Dub and Deb from “Miz Judi’s Kitchen!”

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/32349
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-01-2012 at 11:42 AM.