Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

stacymack wrote:

Worthless war? I have to say it seems you do not begin to comprehend sharia law and how much trouble the US, the West is in. We MUST fight this fight no matter how many countries or entities we must go after!

Wow, you are one of the few people I've seen that has been suckered into believing the Iraq war was justified. Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9/11, yet the dude that did have something to do with it, is still alive and thriving somewhere in la la land.... possibly even New York city with the fabulous border control the US has. Bush, with his open borders policy, continues to welcome anyone in the US; which is proof to me he is not the least bit concerned about a terrorist attack..

The war was for oil, that you and I are not getting; nor will we ever get it... Who knows where the oil is going? Someone should ask the oil men in the white house who are responsible for starting the Iraq war when Iraq was no threat to our country.

I have spoken with many, many servicemen and I've only heard one say they believe the war was sincere. They all do believe we are making great strides rebuilding the country of Iraq, but they do believe our invasion of Iraq was based on lies.

Palin

Wrong about Palin.

This is from an independent voter who usually votes Dem but was thinking of holding my nose and voting McCain until Palin came along.

Palin was a total diaster.

The first week or so was okay, but then the facts about that raving nut case came out: extremist religion, the witchcraft thing, believes humans lived along side dinasaurs, did not know Africa was a continent, could not name newspapers and magazines she reads, showed her lack of intellect and knowledge during the debates, did not know the name of the Canadian PM, could not name a Supreme Court case she disagreed with, lied about the bridge to nowhere, ethically challenged with her troopergate, was thinking about book baning while mayor, the Katie Couric interview, did not know what the Bush doctrine was...etc. She was so ignorant she did not even know the constitutional function of the VP!

A large segment of America could not image that woman as President. It appears her support came from the radical right.

Those of us who read the foreign press also know abroad her canditacy was considered to be farscial at best.

If the GOP wants to remain a relevant party it is going to have to reform and the first reform is to marginalize the NeoCons/ right wing of the party and dump their extremist agenda which has been proven not to work. Two failed wars, a crushed economy, Katrina, the rise of rich and the fall of the middle class, and the abolition of basic American freedoms , all courtsey of the GOP has convinced America that Republicans are incompetent to run the government.

Moderate conservatives are going to have take control, champion balanced budgets, deficit elimination, real science (stem cell research, global warming, no more phoney peudo right wing science), alternative energy, human rights (say no to torture, to government wiretapping of innocent citizens), and of course, the rule of law. Get religion out of politics. They are going to have to send big business special interests packing and start acting on behalf of the American people, not the elite.

But if William's letter is any indication, it won't happen. As long as the Dems don't overreach, get ready for 50 years of Dem rule.
    Take a stand or all there will be left to do is to ask the last person in the country we once called America to lower the flag one last time.

Here is a typical GOPr..It is the PC thing to ohh and awww osama because he is black. Get over the race deal...we are talking about an ARAB who hung out and was mentored by radicals in all aspects. Yet osama seems to have NOT one friend, but has a load of rogue characters he continues to deal with.
    Complement NOTHING to which has been hijacked! ACORN did a wonder and yet not a PEEP out of the political hacks,....not one. Early voting. For what? To have more chaos and time to cheat. I for one am an American Citizen who is sick and tired of EVERY POLITICIAN screwing this country and the people. Yet we need to play this ohhh the first black man. Please...this is NOT a civil rights issue...THIS IS ABOUT AMERICA AND SAVING WHAT OUR FOUNDING FATHERS WORKED SO HARD TO BUILD. WE ARE LOSING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne
    Sanford slaps GOP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/...conservatives/
    Commentary: Conservatives didn't lose election, GOP did

Quote:
    COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) -- For all Americans, this election represents another glass ceiling broken, and in the words of my 16-year-old, "That's very cool." The election of the first black president is an inspiring and transformational moment for our country.

I am happy for President-elect Barack Obama, and for many who supported him. They and, in many cases, their ancestors fought for this day for centuries as they experienced first-hand the unthinkable wrong of segregation. As an American, I wish him every success.

Beyond the presidential race, it goes without saying the Republican Party took a shellacking nationally. Some on the left will say our electoral losses are a repudiation of our principles of lower taxes, smaller government and individual liberty. But Tuesday was not in fact a rejection of those principles -- it was a rejection of Republicans' failure to live up to those principles.

I believe in the Biblical notion of taking the log out of your own eye before worrying about the splinter in someone else's. Accordingly, let me focus on my own party and the way Ted Stevens personifies what went wrong in the election.

As a senior ranking Republican from Alaska, he was a proud champion of pork barrel spending and bridges to nowhere, and stayed so long that he developed a blind eye to ethical lapses that would be readily seen by scout leaders and soccer moms alike.

Republicans have campaigned on the conservative themes of lower taxes, less government and more freedom -- they just haven't governed that way. America didn't turn away from conservatism, they turned away from many who faked it.

So during our "time in the wilderness," it's my hope that we go back to the basics of conservatism -- what it stands for and its real-world implications for people's lives. The sooner we do, the sooner we will see good policy from Republicans, and the sooner I suspect we will return to electoral favor.
    Don't Miss

* Frist: Why it's good to have former senators in charge
    * Commentary: GOP needs Obama's web savvy
    * In Depth: Commentaries

A political party works much like a brand. Companies like Caterpillar and John Deere earn loyal customers by consistently delivering what they advertise -- they walk the walk. The same is true of brands like Fed-Ex, the Boy Scouts of America, or the Marine Corps.

I'm always struck by the degree to which the rank and file indeed know what they're about. I'm equally struck by the degree to which those in office don't always act on the same.

Chick-fil-a does not say to its franchisees, "However you want to cook the sandwiches is cool with me." They are precise in what they expect, and it's my hope going forward more conservatives in all corners of America will be equally precise and exacting in making sure their views are reflected by the party that supposedly represents them.

The time for doing so is short. President-elect Obama proposed $1 trillion in new spending on the campaign trail with no clear plan for paying for it. As a nation, we're on the hook for $52 trillion -- that represents an invisible mortgage of nearly $450,000 held by every household in America.

We've thrown $2.3 trillion toward bailouts and stimulus this year with little to show for it in the way of results, and Congress is already contemplating yet another $150 billion to now bail out states that spent faster than even the federal government. I fear an Obama administration will welcome this.

Borrowing from Medicare, Social Security, our grandkids and the Chinese to remedy a problem created by too much borrowing strikes me as odd, and hardly the "change" Americans really want. Accordingly, on these and other issues that involve borrowing to spend, I will work with others to change this kind of change.

History will prove that we live in remarkable times. As we prepare for the future, it's my hope that we take time for introspection as Republicans on where we go next as a party, and take time as Americans for reflection in appreciating the significance of turning part of Dr. Martin Luther King's dream into reality.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Gov. Mark Sanford.

Sunlandbob:

It's almost as if McCain intentionally threw the election to his opponent
    The part of the campaign which was the most suspicious to me was when McCain was at the bottom of the totem pole for the nomination, and other stronger candidates started dropping out. McCain is a loser, and the worst possible candidate the GOP could put forth. Look McCain was trying to switch to the democratic party a while back... he is a liberal pretending to be a conservative and conservatives see right through that... McCain then panders to hispanics, further telling the conservative base to take a hike. Then he selects Lucile Ball as his running mate, when he had a sure winner in Mitt Romney..

Looked to me as though the fix was in....

stacymack wrote:

Worthless war? I have to say it seems you do not begin to comprehend sharia law and how much trouble the US, the West is in. We MUST fight this fight no matter how many countries or entities we must go after!

Wow, you are one of the few people I've seen that has been suckered into believing the Iraq war was justified. Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9/11, yet the dude that did have something to do with it, is still alive and thriving somewhere in la la land.... possibly even New York city with the fabulous border control the US has. Bush, with his open borders policy, continues to welcome anyone in the US; which is proof to me he is not the least bit concerned about a terrorist attack..

The war was for oil, that you and I are not getting; nor will we ever get it... Who knows where the oil is going? Someone should ask the oil men in the white house who are responsible for starting the Iraq war when Iraq was no threat to our country.

I have spoken with many, many servicemen and I've only heard one say they believe the war was sincere. They all do believe we are making great strides rebuilding the country of Iraq, but they do believe our invasion of Iraq was based on lies.
    If the war was for oil, it certainly didn't serve it's purpose. How did we end up with gasoline at $4.00 plus per gallon until just the last few months? It sounds like you're starting out by assuming the conclusion that the war was for oil.
    LGBTQ (Let's Get Biden To Quit)

"The war was for oil, that you and I are not getting; nor will we ever get it... Who knows where the oil is going? Someone should ask the oil men in the white house who are responsible for starting the Iraq war when Iraq was no threat to our country.

I have spoken with many, many servicemen and I've only heard one say they believe the war was sincere. They all do believe we are making great strides rebuilding the country of Iraq, but they do believe our invasion of Iraq was based on lies."

Uhh, Baloney!

If the war was about oil, we'd be down kicking Hugo Chavez's ass. Venezuela has as much or more oil reserves than Iraq and they'd certainly be much easier to take.

We're speaking to different service folks too. Most all I've spoken with, exchanged email and letters with, all support the mission to a T. The mission is about much more than Iraq. It's about leaving a stable democracy with a thriving economy right on Iran's doorstep. If you don't think that will undermine the Ayatollah's even more than their failing economy (due to huge expenditures chasing the bomb), you're missing the whole point.

Cheers,
    MAC

That was my point Phil.... Iraq is bringing in billions in oil revenue, but the US has not seen a dime of that money; as your tax dollars and increasing deficit continues to rebuild their country.

As I said... go ask the oil men in the white house where the oil revenues are going, cause you and I sure haven't seen any sign of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ppa_founder
    "The war was for oil, that you and I are not getting; nor will we ever get it... Who knows where the oil is going? Someone should ask the oil men in the white house who are responsible for starting the Iraq war when Iraq was no threat to our country.

I have spoken with many, many servicemen and I've only heard one say they believe the war was sincere. They all do believe we are making great strides rebuilding the country of Iraq, but they do believe our invasion of Iraq was based on lies."

Uhh, Baloney!

If the war was about oil, we'd be down kicking Hugo Chavez's ass. Venezuela has as much or more oil reserves than Iraq and they'd certainly be much easier to take.

We're speaking to different service folks too. Most all I've spoken with, exchanged email and letters with, all support the mission to a T. The mission is about much more than Iraq. It's about leaving a stable democracy with a thriving economy right on Iran's doorstep. If you don't think that will undermine the Ayatollah's even more than their failing economy (due to huge expenditures chasing the bomb), you're missing the whole point.

Cheers,
    MAC
    Thank you, ppa!

That was my point Phil.... Iraq is bringing in billions in oil revenue, but the US has not seen a dime of that money; as your tax dollars and increasing deficit continues to rebuild their country.

As I said... go ask the oil men in the white house where the oil revenues are going, cause you and I sure haven't seen any sign of them.
    Then I don't understand how you can claim that the war was for oil. Based on what evidence?

William,
    Not bad, but I think you assign way too much weight to the GOP imploding on themselves (though they certainly did) in this election rather than giving MUCH more weight to the Main Stream (Scream) Media (MSM). If any election was ever stolen by a special interest group, it was this one and everyone in this country should wake up to the real assault that is happening on the democracy crafted by the founding Fathers.

Cheers,
    MAC

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast