Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

THIS IS GOOD GUYS!!

Date: Wednesday 1MAR06 5:30 p.m. EST

Day 3-----Media confirm your calls/faxes making a difference in fighting Specter's amnesty

YOUR CONTINUED PHONE CALLS AND FAXES ARE BRINGING PAIN TO SENATORS WHO WANTED TO PASS AN AMNESTY

NEWS ITEM
    "Despite the breadth of interest groups
    advocating an expanded guest-worker program,
    the enforcement-only crowd makes considerably
    more noise on Capitol Hill, if the flood
    of mail, e-mail and phone calls to member
    offices is any indication."

The power of what you are doing has been confirmed in a big story in The Hill newspaper. This daily publication is the community newspaper for the tens of thousands of people who work in congressional offices on Capitol Hill.

It claims that the power of your phoning and faxing may be countering the power of the Chamber of Commerce, religious lobbies, ethnic lobbies, ACLU and cheap-labor corporations combined.

With the Senate Judiciary Committee prepared to start tomorrow (Thursday) voting on amendments to the giant amnesty bill of its chairman, Sen. Specter, the newspaper stated that the open borders positions are supported by one of the largest and most powerful blocs of groups ever assembled.

But the newspaper reported that you all may be more influential:

"A handful of single-issue groups opposing
    the guest-worker program have effectively
    put the other side on the defensive since
    President Bush first announced his intentions
    to push comprehensive immigration reform, as
    evidenced by the administration's backtracking
    since Bush first proposed such a program in
    January 2004.

"One of those groups, Numbers USA, has 135,000
    registered activists throughout the country and
    an e-mail list in excess of 1 million subscribers,
    all of whom have signed up voluntarily, said
    Caroline Espinosa, a spokeswoman for the group.
    A link on the Numbers USA website also allows browsers
    to fax a personal note to members of Congress in
    support of increased enforcement of illegal immigration."

None of this changes the fact that most Senators want to have 2 million to 3 million foreign workers and their families being added to our laborforce and communities each year.

But we are getting reports from the Hill and from many of you that many of them are starting to show some signs of concern about how their open-borders voting may affect their standing back home.

We don't like being called "anti-immigration," but we like what the reporter said he found in talking to people in the Senate:

"The anti-immigration crowd has political momentum
    at this stage in the fight, with congressional
    Republicans wary to cast any vote that could turn
    off their conservative base during this critical
    election year,
    but members will also have a hard
    time ignoring such a broad cross-section of business,
    labor and social groups with their own self-interested
    constituents."

Now, if we could just get more Democratic Senators to start worrying about their base.

Well, we got a little sign of hope on that front today. The AFL-CIO -- which is selling out its tradition and its American members by pushing an amnesty -- has come out against Specter's and McCain's amnesty bills because they have gigantic foreign guestworker programs. That gives hope that some Democratic Senators would vote against these bills. And it is doubtful that the Republican open-border Senators would vote for an amnesty that didn't include the guestworker provisions so sought by the Chamber of Commerce.

PLEASE CHECK YOUR ACTION BUFFET AND KEEP MAKING YOUR PHONE CALLS AND SENDING YOUR FAXES

What you have been doing is working. You have kept phones and fax machines ringing since first-thing Monday morning through this minute. Do not let up.

Click here for actions to take.
    www.NumbersUSA.com/actionbuffet

WATCH FOR BY-THE-MINUTE ALERTS ON THURSDAY AS WE ASK YOU TO REACT TO SENATORS IMMEDIATELY AFTER THEY TAKE BAD ACTIONS IN COMMITTEE

Our seven-person Capitol Hill Team of professionals will be in the Committee Room and other key Capitol Hill locations all day assisting our six-person Website Team to provide you with updates and help in where your activism can do the most good.

The reason you NumbersUSA activists are seen as the primary constituency pressure force on the Hill in pushing sensible immigration policies is because of the work that I know most of you will do tomorrow.

GET ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED ABOUT THE SPECTER BILL AND THE ACTION IN THE SENATE

Just go to our Hot Topics page, which has links for detailed analysis of the bill.

http://numbersusa.com/hottopic/specterproposal.html

Thanks for all you can do. And thanks for all the reports that you have been sending back to us on what you hear when you call. Our Capitol Team makes good use of your reports.

DON'T LET UP,

-- ROY

If you have time, you might enjoy reading some more of The Hill article:

"Numbers USA also does objective and subjective
    summaries of each bill introduced on the issue
    and notifies subscribers in advance of any
    important actions on Capitol Hill, such as this
    week's markup. As such, the group was expected to
    send an alert asking those supporters living in
    states represented by members of the Senate
    Judiciary Committee to call or fax their members
    in anticipation of that markup.

"Battling with groups like Numbers USA is an
    uncommon experience for many members of the business
    community because they do not regularly work on
    such socially sensitive topics.

"We don't usually end up on the other side of single-issue groups," Gay said. "That's unusual for us."

"The National Restaurant Association usually does not join forces with the National Council of La Raza, and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce rarely, if ever, aligns itself with the Conference of Catholic Bishops.

"But those organizations and many others have come together in support of a comprehensive immigration-reform bill that would expand guest-worker programs and offer undocumented workers already in this country a path to citizenship. They are up against an aggressive cross-section of single-issue organizations that favor increased enforcement of immigration laws and have condemned any legislation that would allow undocumented workers already here eventually to become citizens.

"With the Senate Judiciary Committee expected to mark up its version of the immigration bill Thursday, groups on either side of the issue have geared up for a hard fight, and the vehemence and intractability of either side should make compromise particularly difficult for lawmakers on Capitol Hill.

"A unique coalition of divergent interest groups have rallied in support of a bill introduced by Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.).

"he fact that the Chamber of Commerce needs comprehensive immigration reform is very good," said Flavia Jimenez, an outreach director for the National Council of La Raza, a Hispanic advocacy organization.

"Members of the business community also appreciate working with groups such as La Raza because it allows the overarching coalition to communicate with Republicans and Democrats alike on Capitol Hill.

"It's nice actually to get to work with these guys," said John Gay, a senior vice president for government affairs with the National Restaurant Association, which co-chairs the Essential Worker Immigration Coalition (EWIC), a group of more than 40 business and trade associations seeking comprehensive reform.

"Because the many groups within this broad coalition have slightly different priorities, they must communicate regularly to push common themes. In the end, these organizations are all fighting for what they consider the best interests of their dues-paying members.

"Despite the breadth of interest groups
    advocating an expanded guest-worker program,
    the enforcement-only crowd makes considerably
    more noise on Capitol Hill, if the flood
    of mail, e-mail and phone calls to member
    offices is any indication."

YES!!!

Hello and welcome to popeye!
    http://www.soldiersangels.com Adopt a Soldier

"This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo

Just called

I just called and left messages with all the members of the Judiciary committee.

I could not leave a message for Senator Feinstein at any of her offices the mailboxes were full! I hope that is from all of us calling

Some of Senator Specters mailboxes were full, but I got through to one of the regional offices.

Due to work I often can't call during the weekday, I hope the voicemails are at least helping.

Mass_citizen

Thanks, Steve and Mass Citizen for your responses. I think anything you can do will be helpful. Especially if you mention NOT voting for them anymore if they cram a guestworker program down our throat.

"This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo

Why isn't this thread at the top of the posts?

This is what will help win the battle....much of the rest in inconsequential.
    Steve
    Ohio Jobs & Justice PAC
    http://www.OJJPAC.org

Well now that you posted, it will be

Any good stories from today's calls? I am finding aids are getting downright TALKATIVE!! I stuck to the Judiciary today.

Brownbacker's aid was particularly pleasant and told me after my "revolting grassroots republicans" speech, that Sen Brownbacker was NOT for an amnesty, and hadn't stated his position on the guestworker program yet. When I told him about friends' businesses going under due to competition from those that hire illegals, he was quite sympathetic and told me he'd heard alot of that and I had a legitimate concern about these businesses being rewarded.

California or ground zero of the invasion
    If anyone doesn't mind I made it a sticky thread to make it easier to find.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by DcSA

Any good stories from today's calls? I am finding aids are getting downright TALKATIVE!! I stuck to the Judiciary today.

Brownbacker's aid was particularly pleasant and told me after my "revolting grassroots republicans" speech, that Sen Brownbacker was NOT for an amnesty, and hadn't stated his position on the guestworker program yet.
    I called Brownback and had the opposite experience. I asked why does Brownback support the McCain bill since it would give control of the Southwest back to Mexico? He said he doesn't know but will "pass it along". Yes, right into the round file.

Banned
    I asked him (the aide) if we did pass a guest-worker program, would he like to work with the Arizona Border Patrol that night? It shut him up pretty quick.

Just called

I just called and left messages with

Sen Kennedy
    Sen Specter
    Sen Brownback
    Sen Grassley
    Sen Coburn
    Sen sessions

Mass_Citizen

A good and bad example on phone calls

Just thought you would like to see this from a Massachusetts orginization that supports illegal immigration.

Good: It shows that phone calls to Senator Kennedy are being noticed (at least)and tracked somehow, it says "anti immigrant" calls but most likely it is anti ILLEGAL immigrant.

Bad: It also shows that the pro-illegal forces are also making phone calls too. All the more reason to continue with phone calls.

http://www.miracoalition.org/home
    Action Alert - National Call-In Day
    The Judiciary Committee has just started debate on immigration reform. What is at stake? Not only the future of millions of immigrants and their families, but also the future of America that you want to live in.

Sen. Kennedy has received over 300 ANTI-immigrant calls!

Where are our voices? Immigrant-rights advocates and supporters cannot afford to be silent. Join in the NEW ENGLAND CALL-IN DAY on Wed. 3/8 and the NATIONAL CALL-IN DAY on Thurs 3/9. Call your Senators! Demand comprehensive immigration reform that includes a path to citizenship for all the hard-working undocumented immigrants, and the implementation of an immigration system that serves the dreams of all immigrants in the naturalization process. CLICK HERE NOW!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast