Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

By your own admission you are a self avowed agnostic converted by God, you are screaming for religious freedom for everyone except Christians, and you're going to pray for my soul. What was that line from Shakespeare?

Sorry, but Darth has not advocated for "religious freedom for everyone except Christians." as you claim.

He has just said he no longer buys into the Christian faith, thinks your religious beliefs are misquided, and have led you to a restricted view of the world. So what? I bet you think his beliefs are misquided, and don't have any intention of considering anyone else world view but your own.

The real problem I think is that Christians, (as well as many other religions) think they have the "right" faith, and do not hesitate to make clear any other view is deficient. It is not so agreeable when someone comes along and hands the same attitude right back, that they have the "right" idea and yours is deficient. I call it the "holier than thou" attitude.

The real fact is no proof there even is a god. It is all just speculation. So everyone should stop trying to claim they have the right answer.
    Take a stand or all there will be left to do is to ask the last person in the country we once called America to lower the flag one last time.

Christians, including children, want to share Jesus' love with others. They are not used to people saying that the Bible and speaking of Jesus is not appropriate.

Christians have had the freedom to do this in the past, but there are more and more doing all that they can to end this freedom, including the attacks at Christmas, etc.

I love the Lord, and some of my best memories as a child are of my teacher reading from the Bible, and we quietly listened as we rested our heads on our desks. I am a part of Christ, and He is a part of me.

Southern culture is wonderful too.

Psalm 91
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Leaving a bible on her desk sure has a very, very, nasty "odor" about it, and can be considered a hate crime.
    Bettybb, that statement really does not take into consideration that kids are brats occasionally, and to say that it has an "odor" to the action and borders on a hate crime is silly.
    We have few facts about the teacher or even hints about her problems in the classroom, but the only fact available is that she found a Bible left anonymously extremely offensive. To start a tirade against southern culture and beliefs shows an astounding immaturity of the teacher, something kids this age sense. And what a triumph to upset authority.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What happened to freedom of speech?

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Her comments included criticism of the Bible, Southern Culture, and her students. Parents discovered Hussain had written it was a hate crime for students to leave a Bible on her desk. Wake County schools spokesman Greg Thomas says parents objected to comments on Hussain's page.
    Perhaps, she did not hate the students, but she certainly had a severe dislike of the Bible, Southern culture (from which these kids have grown.) And for someone to claim that a Bible left anonymously on her desk is any sort of hate crime (especially when it is splattered on the Internet) is a self-serving childishness on her part, something the teachers of our kids and grandkids should never engage in.
    And the kid who left the Bible may have been giving a gift of helping her to understand a situation and a society the teacher may not have connected with, respected or was familiar with.
    No, teachers need to make sure that they embrace what the parents want, as one day the kid might come home with ideas that are totally foreign to the family and the community.

Are you saying that there is no freedom of speech or of religion in our country? Freedom of speech means the teacher is entitled to criticize the bible, just like you are free to criticize the q'uoran. She is entitled to criticize Southern culture, just as you are free to criticize Northern culture.

Why did those kids leave a bible, anonymously, on her desk? It sure looks like they decided to shove their religion down her throat, at the very least. We know that people installed a cross, another Christian religious symbol, on the laws of black people as a threat. Yes, it certainly looks like a hate crime, and the work of religious zealots.

As for your supposition that these kids were interested in giving her a bible in order for her to learn about a society she may not be familiar with, or connected with, or respected.... that is extremely far fetched. First, how many 8th graders would think in these terms...none. Second, there is no indication that this teacher is anything but American, or that she is in any way unfamiliar with Southern or American culture. Obviously, she knows enough to have formed an opinion of Southern culture and the bible.

Schools are not there to preach what a group of parents may want. Religion has no place in the classroom. If your kids were being subjected to an Islamic education because a majority of local parents were Muslim, you would be up in arms, and propertly so. If you believe in the American values of freedom of speech and freedom of religion, you should be up in arms about what these kids did. If not, you are advocating religious tryanny.
    Take a stand or all there will be left to do is to ask the last person in the country we once called America to lower the flag one last time.

You are partially correct

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Leaving a bible on her desk sure has a very, very, nasty "odor" about it, and can be considered a hate crime.
    Bettybb, that statement really does not take into consideration that kids are brats occasionally, and to say that it has an "odor" to the action and borders on a hate crime is silly.
    We have few facts about the teacher or even hints about her problems in the classroom, but the only fact available is that she found a Bible left anonymously extremely offensive. To start a tirade against southern culture and beliefs shows an astounding immaturity of the teacher, something kids this age sense. And what a triumph to upset authority.

You are correct that we don't have enough facts. We don't even know that she is Muslim. She could be a Wicca, a Jew, or a Hindu or even an atheist. We don't know the background of the situation, or why on earth those kids put a bible, anonymously, on her desk. Yet a whole lot of posters on this site are up in arms, condemning the teacher for not having "American values", without even considering that the teacher could well be right... the kids were being hateful.

These are kids, and at that age, they may not have yet been taught about the ban on religion in public schools, or how to approach someone of different beliefs. In fact, in my state, it is in grade 8 that kids do learn about the Constitution, and freedom of speech and religion. So these kids may not have gotten to the topic yet.

But I have a hard time believing that a bunch of eight graders, all on their own, thought up bringing a bible into school to give to a non Christian. Sure kids can act like brats at times, but to tell off a teacher, defy a teacher, which is how the bible on the desk could be interpreted, is pretty darn rare. That is why I suspect parents were behind it.

Even if it was meant as an insult, or a threat, the teacher still handled it extremely badly. I agree she acted very immaturely, and improperly. Not with respect to her posting her opinions of the bible or Southern culture, hey that is her right, but by posting about the problem and the kids. She should have gone to the district, and if they did not act, the ACLU.

It could be that your impression that calling it a hate crime is silly, and denying there is a "odor" to this whole thing, is colored by your views of Christianity and the bible. If you are a Christian, you probably do not understand how someone who is not would find what the kids did offensive. I know that if I was teaching, and the kids were aware I was a atheist, and an anonymous bible turned up on my desk, at the very least I would consider it a serious insult. I wouldn't take it out on the kids, who are too young to know better, but I sure would raise a stink with the administration. I know that friends who are Jews would feel the same way if it happened to them, and because of the history of persecution of their faith, might well interpret it as a threat and a hate crime.

Then there is the whole background of many Christian parents thinking that they should be able to demand that their religion be taught in the public schools, or that no one who is does not think exactly like them should be allowed to teach, that also makes this whole incident look fishy.

The real tragedy is that no one comes out looking good in this whole drama. It is probably going to end in a lawsuit, and money that could have been better spent on education will be used to pay lawyers and a settlement for the teacher. Plus, lingering negative feelings will remain with Christians, with Muslims (if she is one), with other non-Christians, and between Americans. All because of religion. Now that is a tragedy.

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach
    Christians, including children, want to share Jesus' love with others. They are not used to people saying that the Bible and speaking of Jesus is not appropriate.

Christians have had the freedom to do this in the past, but there are more and more doing all that they can to end this freedom, including the attacks at Christmas, etc.

I love the Lord, and some of my best memories as a child are of my teacher reading from the Bible, and we quietly listened as we rested our heads on our desks. I am a part of Christ, and He is a part of me.

Southern culture is wonderful too.

Psalm 91

It may well be that the children had not yet been taught that there are many different beliefs in our country and everyone thinks the one they adopt for themselves is the right one, and would just love to share their love of "Jesus", or "Yaweh", or"The Earth Godess", or "Allah" or "Vishnu" or "Humanism" or whatever, with everyone else. Therefore, these kids may not have known it can be considered extremely rude, depending upon the circumstances, to inappropirately share your religion with others.

If we went to a system where Chrisitans could profess their faith in public buildings, then every other belief system would be allowed to do it too. Wow. Can you image the classroom, where Christianity, Judism, Islam, Wicca, Hindu, and Atheism ware mandatory?

In fact, I believe that is what happened with the Christmas tree in the Seattle Airport. The local Jewish community did not object to the tree, but wanted to have a Memorah put up. The Airport just took the tree down. I guess the airport decided if they did accomodate the Jews, then the Wiccans would want a pentagram, and the Native American tribes in the region would want their religious symbol, and the Muslims would probably want prayer rugs and on and on.

I was not aware of attacks on Christianity at Christams. I thought it was the other way around. Christians do not want anyone to say Happy Holidays because that would include all those other religions and belief systems that have special days in December. It appears Christians just want their holiday acknowledged with a cordial greeting and others excluded.

My solution to the problem is to wish my Christian friends a Merry Christmas, my Jewish friends a Happy Hannaka, my black friends a Happy Kawana, my pagan friends a Happy Winter Soltice, my Atheist friends Happy Human Light, etc and reserve Happy Holidays for people whose beliefs I don't know.

I think Southern Culture is great too! My best friend was from the south and she had wonderful ways.

Bettybb, my opinion about the flagrant over-reaction of this teacher has nothing to do with "coloration" of any religious belief. The point has always been that kids of this age are feeling their oats and looking for a weakness in authority figures. We cannot assume the teacher was anything more than vulnerable.
    In my point of view, we are all entitled to our beliefs, and I totally agree that things like peripheral issues need to stay out of the classroom. The teacher could have used this episode as a moment to explore what the kids think. But it should have not been carried to such an extreme when the parents start objecting about net postings from a person they have entrusted their children with; someone who is against everything they are teaching the kids at home and in the place of worship. The teacher has the kids for a few hours a day, while the parents will be involved with the kids for years and years. So which should prevail?
    But then again, we are presuming too much from a short description. I do not look at the religious angle, but at this teacher's (assuming she is an adult) lack of understanding of the society (southern culture that reads the Bible) whose young she is trying to influence in the classroom. Parents also need to have a say on how that influence is administered.

On some things we agree

In my point of view, we are all entitled to our beliefs, and I totally agree that things like peripheral issues need to stay out of the classroom. The teacher could have used this episode as a moment to explore what the kids think. But it should have not been carried to such an extreme when the parents start objecting about net postings from a person they have entrusted their children with; someone who is against everything they are teaching the kids at home and in the place of worship. The teacher has the kids for a few hours a day, while the parents will be involved with the kids for years and years. So which should prevail?
    But then again, we are presuming too much from a short description. I do not look at the religious angle, but at this teacher's (assuming she is an adult) lack of understanding of the society (southern culture that reads the Bible) whose young she is trying to influence in the classroom. Parents also need to have a say on how that influence is administered.[/quote]

On somethings we do agree.
    1. This teacher did not respond properly, in fact, just the opposite.
    2. She should have used the incident to teach, not religious values, or Southern Culture, but plain old American constitutional principles.
    3. We are probably reading too much into a brief description, without many more facts, the picture is fuzzy.
    4. If a teacher is improperly trying influence kids, either in politics, or religion, then the parents do have a right to intervene and put a stop to it. But there is no indication that this teacher did anything of the sort in the classroom.

On somethings we do not agree.
    1. This teacher could not explore what the kids think since it had to do with religion. She is barred from doing that by law.
    2. There is no indication that this teacher is against everything the parents are teaching at home. She probably shares many common values with the parents, like love of country, of family, etc. Her religious beliefs are different and obviously she had some criticism of Southern culture. Hardly a big deal. She is entitled to her opinion and her religous beliefs as long as she does not bring it into the classroom.
    3. There is no indication that the teacher was expressing her religious views, or her views on Southern culture in the classroom, so it does not appear that she is undermining the parents in any way.
    4. It looks to me like some didn't like a non Christian teaching and decided to harass her.

But it has been interesting discussing this with you and getting an opposing opinion. Same situation, two different people, and we "read" the implications very differently. Maybe there is a reality show in that concept! :P

(quote)

IN CONGRESS

November 1, 1777

FORASMUCH as it is the indispensable Duty of all Men to adore the superintending Providence of Almighty God; to acknowledge with Gratitude their Obligation to him for Benefits received, and to implore such farther Blessings as they stand in Need of: And it having pleased him in his abundant Mercy, not only to continue to us the innumerable Bounties of his common Providence; but also to smile upon us in the Prosecution of a just and necessary War, for the Defense and Establishment of our unalienable Rights and Liberties; particularly in that he hath been pleased, in so great a Measure, to prosper the Means used for the Support of our Troops, and to crown our Arms with most signal success:

It is therefore recommended to the legislative or executive Powers of these UNITED STATES to set apart THURSDAY, the eighteenth Day of December next, for SOLEMN THANKSGIVING and PRAISE: That at one Time and with one Voice, the good People may express the grateful Feelings of their Hearts, and consecrate themselves to the Service of their Divine Benefactor; and that, together with their sincere Acknowledgments and Offerings, they may join the penitent Confession of their manifold Sins, whereby they had forfeited every Favor; and their humble and earnest Supplication that it may please GOD through the Merits of JESUS CHRIST, mercifully to forgive and blot them out of Remembrance; That it may please him graciously to afford his Blessing on the Governments of these States respectively, and prosper the public Council of the whole: To inspire our Commanders, both by Land and Sea, and all under them, with that Wisdom and Fortitude which may render them fit Instruments, under the Providence of Almighty GOD, to secure for these United States, the greatest of all human Blessings, INDEPENDENCE and PEACE: That it may please him, to prosper the Trade and Manufactures of the People, and the Labor of the Husbandman, that our Land may yield its Increase: To take Schools and Seminaries of Education, so necessary for cultivating the Principles of true Liberty, Virtue and Piety, under his nurturing Hand; and to prosper the Means of Religion, for the promotion and enlargement of that Kingdom, which consisteth "in Righteousness, Peace and Joy in the Holy Ghost."

And it is further recommended, That servile Labor, and such Recreation, as, though at other Times innocent, may be unbecoming the Purpose of this Appointment, be omitted on so solemn an Occasion.

Thanksgiving Proclamations 1778-1784
    by the Continental Congress

By the United States in Congress assembled.

A PROCLAMATION.

It having pleased Almighty God, through the course of the present year, to bestow great and manifold mercies on the people of these United States; and it being the indispensable duty of all men gratefully to acknowledge their obligations to Him for benefits received:
    Resolved, That it be, and hereby is recommended to the legislative or executive authority of each of the said states, to appoint Wednesday, the 30th day of December next, to be observed as a day of public thanksgiving and praise, that all the people may, with united hearts, on that day, express a just sense of his unmerited favors; particularly in that it hath pleased him, by his overruling providence, to support us in a just and necessary war, for the defense of our rights and liberties, by affording us seasonable supplies for our armies, by disposing the heart of a powerful monarch to enter into alliance with us, and aid our cause; by defeating the councils and evil designs of our enemies, and giving us victory over their troops; and, by the continuance of that union among these states, which, by his blessing, will be their future strength and glory.
    And it is further recommended, that, together with devout thanksgiving, may be joined a penitent confession of our sins, and humble supplication for pardon, through the merits of our Savior; so that, under the smiles of Heaven, our public councils may be directed, our arms by land and sea prospered, our liberty and independence secured, our schools and seminaries of learning flourish, our trade be revived, our husbandry and manufactures encreased, and the hearts of all impressed with undissembled piety, with benevolence and zeal for the public good.
    And it is also recommended, that recreations unsuitable to the purpose of such a solemnity may be omitted on that day.

Done in Congress, this 17th day of November, 1778, and in the third year of the independence of the United States of America.

A PROCLAMATION.

Whereas it becomes us humbly to approach the throne of Almighty God, with gratitude and praise for the wonders which his goodness has wrought in conducting our forefathers to this western world; for his protection to them and to their posterity amid difficulties and dangers; for raising us, their children, from deep distress to be numbered among the nations of the earth; and for arming the hands of just and mighty princes in our deliverance; and especially for that he hath been pleased to grant us the enjoyment of health, and so to order the revolving seasons, that the earth hath produced her increase in abundance, blessing the labors of the husbandmen, and spreading plenty through the land; that he hath prospered our arms and those of our ally; been a shield to our troops in the hour of danger, pointed their swords to victory and led them in triumph over the bulwarks of the foe; that he hath gone with those who went out into the wilderness against the savage tribes; that he hath stayed the hand of the spoiler, and turned back his meditated destruction; that he hath prospered our commerce, and given success to those who sought the enemy on the face of the deep; and above all, that he hath diffused the glorious light of the gospel, whereby, through the merits of our gracious Redeemer, we may become the heirs of his eternal glory: therefore,

Resolved, That it be recommended to the several states, to appoint Thursday, the 9th of December next, to be a day of public and solemn thanksgiving to Almighty God for his mercies, and of prayer for the continuance of his favor and protection to these United States; to beseech him that he would be graciously pleased to influence our public councils, and bless them with wisdom from on high, with unanimity, firmness, and success; that he would go forth with our hosts and crown our arms with victory; that he would grant to his church the plentiful effusions of divine grace, and pour out his holy spirit on all ministers of the gospel; that he would bless and prosper the means of education, and spread the light of Christian knowledge through the remotest corners of the earth; that he would smile upon the labors of his people and cause the earth to bring forth her fruits in abundance; that we may with gratitude and gladness enjoy them; that he would take into his holy protection our illustrious ally, give him victory over his enemies, and render him signally great, as the father of his people and the protector of the rights of mankind; that he would graciously be pleased to turn the hearts of our enemies, and to dispense the blessings of peace to contending nations; that he would in mercy look down upon us, pardon our sins and receive us into his favor, and finally, that he would establish the independence of these United States upon the basis of religion and virtue, and support and protect them in the enjoyment of peace, liberty and safety. as long as the sun and moon shall endure, until time shall be no more. Done in Congress, ∥ the 20th day of October, one thousand seven hundred and seventy-nine, and in the 4th year of the independence of the United States of America.

Samuel Huntington, President.
    Attest,
    Charles Thomson, Secretary.

(quote)

http://www.pilgrimhall.org/GivingThanks3c.htm

Psalm 139:14
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach
    (quote)

IN CONGRESS

November 1, 1777

FORASMUCH as it is the indispensable Duty of all Men to adore the superintending Providence of Almighty God; to acknowledge with Gratitude their Obligation to him for Benefits received, and to implore such farther Blessings as they stand in Need of: And it having pleased him in his abundant Mercy, not only to continue to us the innumerable Bounties of his common Providence; but also to smile upon us in the Prosecution of a just and necessary War, for the Defense and Establishment of our unalienable Rights and Liberties; particularly in that he hath been pleased, in so great a Measure, to prosper the Means used for the Support of our Troops, and to crown our Arms with most signal success:

It is therefore recommended to the legislative or executive Powers of these UNITED STATES to set apart THURSDAY, the eighteenth Day of December next, for SOLEMN THANKSGIVING and PRAISE: That at one Time and with one Voice, the good People may express the grateful Feelings of their Hearts, and consecrate themselves to the Service of their Divine Benefactor; and that, together with their sincere Acknowledgments and Offerings, they may join the penitent Confession of their manifold Sins, whereby they had forfeited every Favor; and their humble and earnest Supplication that it may please GOD through the Merits of JESUS CHRIST, mercifully to forgive and blot them out of Remembrance; That it may please him graciously to afford his Blessing on the Governments of these States respectively, and prosper the public Council of the whole: To inspire our Commanders, both by Land and Sea, and all under them, with that Wisdom and Fortitude which may render them fit Instruments, under the Providence of Almighty GOD, to secure for these United States, the greatest of all human Blessings, INDEPENDENCE and PEACE: That it may please him, to prosper the Trade and Manufactures of the People, and the Labor of the Husbandman, that our Land may yield its Increase: To take Schools and Seminaries of Education, so necessary for cultivating the Principles of true Liberty, Virtue and Piety, under his nurturing Hand; and to prosper the Means of Religion, for the promotion and enlargement of that Kingdom, which consisteth "in Righteousness, Peace and Joy in the Holy Ghost."

And it is further recommended, That servile Labor, and such Recreation, as, though at other Times innocent, may be unbecoming the Purpose of this Appointment, be omitted on so solemn an Occasion.

Thanksgiving Proclamations 1778-1784
    by the Continental Congress

A PROCLAMATION.

It having pleased Almighty God, through the course of the present year, to bestow great and manifold mercies on the people of these United States; and it being the indispensable duty of all men gratefully to acknowledge their obligations to Him for benefits received:
    Resolved, That it be, and hereby is recommended to the legislative or executive authority of each of the said states, to appoint Wednesday, the 30th day of December next, to be observed as a day of public thanksgiving and praise, that all the people may, with united hearts, on that day, express a just sense of his unmerited favors; particularly in that it hath pleased him, by his overruling providence, to support us in a just and necessary war, for the defense of our rights and liberties, by affording us seasonable supplies for our armies, by disposing the heart of a powerful monarch to enter into alliance with us, and aid our cause; by defeating the councils and evil designs of our enemies, and giving us victory over their troops; and, by the continuance of that union among these states, which, by his blessing, will be their future strength and glory.
    And it is further recommended, that, together with devout thanksgiving, may be joined a penitent confession of our sins, and humble supplication for pardon, through the merits of our Savior; so that, under the smiles of Heaven, our public councils may be directed, our arms by land and sea prospered, our liberty and independence secured, our schools and seminaries of learning flourish, our trade be revived, our husbandry and manufactures encreased, and the hearts of all impressed with undissembled piety, with benevolence and zeal for the public good.
    And it is also recommended, that recreations unsuitable to the purpose of such a solemnity may be omitted on that day.

Done in Congress, this 17th day of November, 1778, and in the third year of the independence of the United States of America.

A PROCLAMATION.

Whereas it becomes us humbly to approach the throne of Almighty God, with gratitude and praise for the wonders which his goodness has wrought in conducting our forefathers to this western world; for his protection to them and to their posterity amid difficulties and dangers; for raising us, their children, from deep distress to be numbered among the nations of the earth; and for arming the hands of just and mighty princes in our deliverance; and especially for that he hath been pleased to grant us the enjoyment of health, and so to order the revolving seasons, that the earth hath produced her increase in abundance, blessing the labors of the husbandmen, and spreading plenty through the land; that he hath prospered our arms and those of our ally; been a shield to our troops in the hour of danger, pointed their swords to victory and led them in triumph over the bulwarks of the foe; that he hath gone with those who went out into the wilderness against the savage tribes; that he hath stayed the hand of the spoiler, and turned back his meditated destruction; that he hath prospered our commerce, and given success to those who sought the enemy on the face of the deep; and above all, that he hath diffused the glorious light of the gospel, whereby, through the merits of our gracious Redeemer, we may become the heirs of his eternal glory: therefore,

Resolved, That it be recommended to the several states, to appoint Thursday, the 9th of December next, to be a day of public and solemn thanksgiving to Almighty God for his mercies, and of prayer for the continuance of his favor and protection to these United States; to beseech him that he would be graciously pleased to influence our public councils, and bless them with wisdom from on high, with unanimity, firmness, and success; that he would go forth with our hosts and crown our arms with victory; that he would grant to his church the plentiful effusions of divine grace, and pour out his holy spirit on all ministers of the gospel; that he would bless and prosper the means of education, and spread the light of Christian knowledge through the remotest corners of the earth; that he would smile upon the labors of his people and cause the earth to bring forth her fruits in abundance; that we may with gratitude and gladness enjoy them; that he would take into his holy protection our illustrious ally, give him victory over his enemies, and render him signally great, as the father of his people and the protector of the rights of mankind; that he would graciously be pleased to turn the hearts of our enemies, and to dispense the blessings of peace to contending nations; that he would in mercy look down upon us, pardon our sins and receive us into his favor, and finally, that he would establish the independence of these United States upon the basis of religion and virtue, and support and protect them in the enjoyment of peace, liberty and safety. as long as the sun and moon shall endure, until time shall be no more. Done in Congress, ∥ the 20th day of October, one thousand seven hundred and seventy-nine, and in the 4th year of the independence of the United States of America.

Samuel Huntington, President.
    Attest,
    Charles Thomson, Secretary.

(quote)

http://www.pilgrimhall.org/GivingThanks3c.htm

Psalm 139:14
    .................................................. .................................................. ...

Congress voted. It was unanimous. We are not a Christian nation.

"As the government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian Religion..."

1796-97 Treaty with Tripoli
    Approved by Congress, Signed by Adams

"Does the Treaty of Tripoli say that 'The Government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion?'" by Tom Peters. Website: http://candst.tripod.com/tnppage/tripoli.htm

"The Government of the United States of America Is Not, in Any Sense, Founded on the Christian Religion," by Jim Walker (webpage link from the Freethinkers Home Page; Website: http://www.nobeliefs.com/Tripoli.htm

"Joel Barlow and the Treaty of Tripoli," by Rob Boston. Church & State, Vol. 50, No. 6 (June 1997), pp. 11-14; Website: http://www.au.org/c&sjun6.htm

The Journal of the Senate, including The Journal of the Executive Proceedings of the Senate, John Adams Administration, 1797-1801, Volume 1: Fifth Congress, First Session; March-July, 1797. Edited by Martin P. Claussen. Wilmington, Delaware: Michael Glazier, Inc., 1977.

"Little-Known U. S. Document Signed by President Adams Proclaims America's Government Is Secular," by Jim Walker. Early America Review, Vol. II, No. 1 (Summer 1997); Website: http://www.earlyamerica.com/review/summ ... cular.html

"Quotations that Support the Separation of State and Church," Second Edition. Edited by Edward M. Buckner and Michael E. Buckner. Atlanta: Atlanta Freethought Society, 1995.

"Treaty of Peace and Friendship between The United States and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli of Barbary," 1796-1797. Treaties and Other International Acts of the United States of America. Edited by Hunter Miller. Vol. 2. 1776-1818. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 1931, p. 383.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast