Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Actually they want the kid in the program because the schools get more money for them. When I was at the school the parents could say no to ESL. All they had to do was sign a form and their kid would be main streamed. But of course the parent had to know that because the schools don't tell them. Wonder why we have migrant recruiters in our schools? It's all about the money the schools get for having the kids in these programs.

Also we have bilingual programs here but the parents have a choice. The kids can either go to regular kindergarten or bilingual kindergarten. The kids that live in the districts with the bilingual kindergartens and don't want to do them are bused to another school.

You guys obviously know more about the California school system than I can every imagine. I have a questions, however.

A friend of my told me tonite (we were talking about this issue - she used to teach school back there) that they now have a thing called an "immersion program". I don't remember all the details, but she said people she knows who still teach there told her that it's blowing the socks off of the "bilingual" classes.

Anybody know anything about this?

Quote Originally Posted by CheyenneWoman
    You guys obviously know more about the California school system than I can every imagine. I have a questions, however.

A friend of my told me tonite (we were talking about this issue - she used to teach school back there) that they now have a thing called an "immersion program". I don't remember all the details, but she said people she knows who still teach there told her that it's blowing the socks off of the "bilingual" classes.

Anybody know anything about this?
    CheyenneWoman,
    I don't live in California. They have this bilingual program not only in California, they have it in New York, and other states. I think it originated in New York, and a guy by the name German Badillo (I forgot his position) was the one who created it.

I brought you an example of the problem I'm talking about with children coming from other countries to get educated here at the expense of the taxpayers. It is in Spanish, I found it in an Spanish forum. I will try to translate it for you.

Hola, soy estudiante de high school, vine de turista a este pais, me pase los 6 meses de estadia y estoy en el ultimo año y voy a aplicar para ir a un college, pero siempre en las aplicaciones me preguntan por un numero de seguro social, mis preguntas son:

--Puedo poner mi Itin number en vez de un social security number sin tener problemas con el college , ó.

--Si puedo aplicar para un numero de seguro social solo para estudios.

Hi, I'm a high school student, I came to this country as a tourist, I overstayed my 6 month visa, and I'm in the last year of high school, I want to apply to go to college, but always in the applications they ask me for a social security number, my questions are:

Can I put my ITIN number instead of a social security number without having problems with the college? Or can I apply for a social security only as a student?

Someone answered this person and told him/her to send him/her an e-mail@-----------She/He would let him/her know how to go about it.

opinion:

My God, the lunacy is passed down from generation to generation.

Where did we go wrong to allow this nonsense to continue?

You know, you're right. I bet we even have bilingual education here in Colorado. It's just that my grandchildren (are graduating high school), so I have almost no knowledge of what grade schools are like anymore.

I do know that the education problem here in Colorado is horrific. Charter schools and school district going bankrupt. Our state mismanaging education funds. It's scary and awful.

The whole education system is going down the toilet and nobody seems to be able to stop it.

What can we do????

The whole education system is going down the toilet and nobo

Quote Originally Posted by CheyenneWoman
    opinion:

My God, the lunacy is passed down from generation to generation.

Where did we go wrong to allow this nonsense to continue?

You know, you're right. I bet we even have bilingual education here in Colorado. It's just that my grandchildren (are graduating high school), so I have almost no knowledge of what grade schools are like anymore.

I do know that the education problem here in Colorado is horrific. Charter schools and school district going bankrupt. Our state mismanaging education funds. It's scary and awful.

The whole education system is going down the toilet and nobody seems to be able to stop it.

What can we do????

Good question CheyenneWoman, If our government does not do anything about it having the power, what can we do? Nothing, keep on paying higher taxes, that's the way our government solves the problem. I think that as long as we have American Citizens that are homeless, living out in the streets, and millions can't afford the high cost of Health-care, we have no business letting illegals to come here to take away what belongs to us. Our government is protecting these people, not us. And if they think they will get their votes in the future by giving them legal status, they are wrong, because most of those people do not vote.
    Our government don't stop it because they don't want to.

We need a platform to make our voices heard. I don't believe either polilical party is that platform.

They're too busy playing their own games and then act surprized when the American people tell them they're unhappy. Most of these guys are so removed from reality (living in their ivory towers) that they don't have a clue any more.

Problem is that we need money to make our voices heard. Lots and lots and lots of money. Money to run TV and radio ads. Money to put up billboards. Whatever. Because that's the only thing that talks in this country anymore - money.

How do we do this???

We need to educate the people in the non invaded towns. They have no idea what's coming to them. The people in invaded towns already know the problems. I wouldn't wear an anti illegal immigrant T-shirt or have a bumper sticker around here because I'm sure that one of the illegals would either slit my tires, graffiti my property or something worse and I don't want to think about the worse part. If there was a sign or billboard around here they would destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by opinion

I met one of those teachers, she knew broken English, and her Spanish was not the kind of Spanish a graduated teacher knows.
    I've taught in Texas, Florida, and Alabama and never met an ESL teacher who could not speak fluent English. They are required to pass exams to become certified teachers also. Maybe the school system was desperate and didn't hire certified ESL or Spanish teachers. They could get into BIG trouble over that.

I tell you a story, when a friend of mine took her little girl to kindergarten, a couple of days later the girl told the mother that she was in an Spanish class, this girl's mother does not speak Spanish, but the girl's last name is Spanish, so the mother went to school to find out if they were teaching the girl Spanish as a second languare, and what she found out was that they place the girl in the bilingual program because her last name was Spanish. The mother asked for the girl to be remove from that program, and they told her that if she was Spanish she had to be there.

In my Texas school district, all students were required to take Spanish, regardless of last name. If they are going by last names, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Never heard of this happening in Texas or Florida where we had high Hispanic populations. Very interesting.
    "Remember the Alamo!"

krazynbama, what about the Japanese, Nigerian, Vietnamese, etc., children. Do they have to learn Spanish in addition to English?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by had_enuf
    krazynbama, what about the Japanese, Nigerian, Vietnamese, etc., children. Do they have to learn Spanish in addition to English?
    Great question! I taught at a school in Round Rock, TX, and our largest minority population there was actually asian. I had a number of Chinese, Japanese, Indian, and even one Iranian student....yes, they all took Spanish.

In Florida, the largest minority population where I taught was Hispanic, however everyone was required to take Spanish.....caucasian, black, hispanic.....all students. That was in mid-90's....not sure if that policy is still same.
    "Remember the Alamo!"

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast