Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Maybe we are making the wrong aproach to these illegals.
    The corporations want low waiges, so we have to start telling them to demand higher waiges, not to work like slaves....
    WallMart now that they got sue, start fireing the illegals.
    Maybe we should start talking to them to sue their employees for lack of benefits

[quote:vlow12p1]bquasius Wrote:
    This type of plan also undercuts those in the business community that want amnestyThis type of plan also undercuts those in the business community that want amnesty
    [/quote:vlow12p1]

Tell me, why would businesses support amnesty? once the
    "illegals' have a USA brand they`ll be entitle to higher wages.
    ------------------------

Those who employ illegals don't want amensty. That would mean they would have to start paying taxes, filling out paperwork etc. etc. as well as give the new "immigrants" higher wages. Those who hire illegals want it to stay the way it is because the rest of the American tax payers are picking up the bill and subsidizing their labor force. Do you actually think they hire them because they are better workers than US wokers. NO! They hire them because they can work them under the radar and with out the cost. If they had to pay for the health care as well as other benefits they'd fire them in a second.

Stricter Enforcement

Stricter enforcement is already hurting some big Ag companies, thus the lobbying for the AgJobs amnesty. Fruit and produce is already rotting in the trees, fields, etc. because the supply of illegal workers is drying up due to better enforcement.

These companies don't realistically expect to recruit U.S. citizens or long term residents for this type of hard, back-breaking work, so they want to ensure they have access to an underclass of worker, whether they're illegal immigrants or illegal immigrants who have become legal agricultural workers.

Note, under the AgJob bill, the illegal immigrants granted amnesty must continue working in agriculture in order to stay in the U.S. and eventually get permanent resident status.
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtex ... l=h109-884
    There are immigrants and there are illegal aliens. An immigrant comes here legally, obeys our laws, assimilates, and the only flags an immigrant waves is an American flag. There's no such thing as an illegal immigrant.

Re: Another Explanation

Quote Originally Posted by bquasius
    There was another explanation for the losses on Fox News tonight. Candidates from either party who stressed border enforcement, opposition to amnesty, etc. over other issues lost votes because illegal immigration was a secondary issue for voters, and as a result they missed the primary issues that motivated voters, the war in Iraq, corruption in Washington, etc. Apparently in exit polls illegal immigration was issue #6 for voters, far behing the war in Iraq, etc.
    Despite the all comprehensive articles and discussions that have brought to light the multiple ills and ongoing consequences of illegal immigration, it is apparent the typical American citizen simply does not care about this issue.
    One recent poll indicated it is an important issue to only 29%
    Americans.
    On the surface, this seems baffling, but upon further reflection, maybe we should not be too surprised.
    The majority of Americans have either been only minimally affected by illegal immigrants, or, they have not made the connection between illegal immigration,and its consequences. This could be because they have no basis of comparison since they have never experienced the benefits of life without illegals.
    For example, a parent might be unhappy with the progress their child is making in school, but does not blame the problem on his/her teacher
    having to compromise the cirriculum to support all the anchor babies.
    Many of us are fed up with our exorbant health care costs, but might not relate it to all the free health care going to illegals.
    We might be frustrated by the the grave inconvenience caused by hospital and emergency room closures, but do not associate it with illegal immgration.
    We might not get that job that we had in mind, but might not think, " Darn, I bet an illegal alien got my job."
    Also, we might hear and read about the depletion of natural resources and overcrowding that will only get worse with each passing year, but by then, it will not be our problem.
    Another reason why we are seemingly unconcerned about illegal immgration is the love, admiration, and respect that most Americans have for Latinos. A recent poll indicated that 84% of Americans think highly of Latinos.
    This is significant because many people will act upon their current desires rather than consider the long range consequences. The short term pleasure we receive, for example, from eating fried foods, or from over indulging at the expense of our credit cards, unwisely takes precedence over the long term consequences, such as poor health or credit card debt.
    Similarly, the pleasure we receive from our interacting with Latinos- many who are illegal aliens and anchor babies- and enjoying their culture, takes precedence over the long term consequences of which we are indeed aware.
    Hence, we remain in a state of permanent denial.
    Our altruistic tendencies, coupled with our guilty consciences, also make us more short sighted, and therefore less likely to consider long term reprecussions. Many of us tend to be more concerned for the immediate plight of members of a given culture, in this case, the illegal aliens and their hardships, at the expense of the far more numerous legal citizens who will continue to suffer from the multiple consequences of illegal immigration.
    The final result, I am afraid, will eventually be a third world America.

boxersbear wrote:

Those who employ illegals don't want amensty. That would mean they would have to start paying taxes, filling out paperwork etc. etc. as well as give the new "immigrants" higher wages. Those who hire illegals want it to stay the way it is because the rest of the American tax payers are picking up the bill and subsidizing their labor force. Do you actually think they hire them because they are better workers than US wokers. NO! They hire them because they can work them under the radar and with out the cost. If they had to pay for the health care as well as other benefits they'd fire them in a second.
    I am concerned that the employers will get rid of their "new legals" and still hire illegals. They aren't going to change their habits easily.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

antiillegallover, Welcome to the board. I`m afriad that I don`t qualify in either catogory above.
    In California we can see the long term consequences, the distruction they leave behind, the crime commited, the laws they break everyday. It would be nice to say, "oh, it`s only a small minority of them that live like animals and have no respect or reguard for this country", but it`s not like that, "every single one" that crosses the border illegally live as if this was mexico!
    I don`t like to feel this way, but I`ve seen it all.
    California is the prime example of what this country is on the path to looking like in the very near future.
    Those who have doubts about it should be give a free 1hr tour through some of the communities in So Calif. I promise you, their minds will change fast.
    I`m sorry, but anyone who turns a blind eye is ignorant of the truth.
    ------------------------

Stereotypes

antiilegalover, be careful about stereotyping any ethnic group, including Latinos.

I doubt that a majority of Latinos in this country are illegal. It is the illegal immigrant Latinos who are often in the news climbing over fences, emerging from tunnels, etc. There are also many notable Americans who are Latino but don't advertise it.

I doubt the average American has much contact with illegal aliens, most of whom lack any English ability stick to themselves.
    There are immigrants and there are illegal aliens. An immigrant comes here legally, obeys our laws, assimilates, and the only flags an immigrant waves is an American flag. There's no such thing as an illegal immigrant.

Another reason why we are seemingly unconcerned about illegal immgration is the love, admiration, and respect that most Americans have for Latinos.
    I'm not sure who the "we" you're talking about, or where the poll you quoted was done, but the vast majoirty of people I've talked to (and I'm not saying it's right) have a very negative atitude towards "Latinos" and it's because of the illegal immigration. I'm talking about blacks and whites. They also have a very negative attitude towards the bi-lingual "Press one or English Press two for Spanish" etc. I guess if one goes to somewhere that the invaison isn't as bad as it is in North Carolina or California you'll get a very different perspective.

As I pointed out, I'm not saying that it's right for people to feel this way but they do and illegal immigration and the marches this past spring put a very sour taste in many people's mouths when it comes to "Latinos" their "culture" and their language.

Quote Originally Posted by mkfarnam
    antiillegallover, Welcome to the board. I`m afriad that I don`t qualify in either catogory above.
    In California we can see the long term consequences, the distruction they leave behind, the crime commited, the laws they break everyday. It would be nice to say, "oh, it`s only a small minority of them that live like animals and have no respect or reguard for this country", but it`s not like that, "every single one" that crosses the border illegally live as if this was mexico!
    I don`t like to feel this way, but I`ve seen it all.
    California is the prime example of what this country is on the path to looking like in the very near future.
    Those who have doubts about it should be give a free 1hr tour through some of the communities in So Calif. I promise you, their minds will change fast.
    I`m sorry, but anyone who turns a blind eye is ignorant of the truth.
    Actually, I do live in Southern California, but what I observe on a daily basis is probably quite different than what is observed in the poorer areas or inner cities, and my neighborhood is 90% Latino.
    A previous poster told be to be careful not to streotype Latinos. I was not aware that I had. Neverthless, because the personal habits or appearance of illegal Latinos do not conform to any stereotype-at least not in the suburbs- many citizens turn a blind eye to the illegal immigration problem because it not possible to distinguish the illegal Latino from the legal Latino, and they do not associate the negative consequences with illegal immigration.
    When cute little Juanita stares at you with big innocent eyes, she does not announce ' I am an anchor baby." Teachers have to spend more time helping me, as well as alter the cirriculum, so your child can't do as well."
    "Your health care is compromised and hospitals are going bankrupt because so many of your dollars are going to me and my family's free health care. I also have Chagus disease. When I grow up, I will bring in as many of my relatives as I can to overpopulate your country and deplete your natural resources." My dad also has displaced your dad at work, because he works for lower wages."
    The truth is that little Juanita, and possibly her family, could very well appear as cute and innocent as little Carmen, whose parents are legal and hard working middle class, tax paying citizens who are contributing to society rather than than leeching off of it.
    If all illegals did conform to stereotypes, we wouldn't be so ambivalent about their presence.
    I believe the study that indicated 84% of American citizens respect and admire Latinos was a pew study, but I am not sure.
    I believe it was a CNN poll that indicated only 29% of voters consder illegal immigration a serious issue, but againn, I am not sure.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast