Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Legal immigration

While illegal immigration is an important topic, legal immigration should be an equally important topic. Most candidates [1] are thinking of legalizing illegal immigration.

I have been in this country for about 10 years now and have only lately decided to immigrate to this country. However, there has been significant backlogs in the legal immigration process. Should I have to wait another 10 years before I become a legal immigrant? I like the American way of life and the technological advances that have been made here. But with the way USCIS is structured and given the backlogs, it looks like legal immigration is all but a distant dream. In this global free-trade world, America looks less attractive than other western countries for people like me who are considering immigrating.

I am not necessarily against illegal immigration, however, I feel that it is unfair to let the illegal immigrants in when the legal immigrants clearly have vested interest in making this country successful. Some accuse temporary workers of bringing the job wages down. In my case this has not been true and I have been treated fairly in every which way from the time I came to work in this country. I can only think of positives as far as legal immigration is concerned. The legal immigrants have the potential to buy more houses and boost the already downed economy. Furthermore, well-to-do legal immigrants tend to retire in their country, thus not further burdening the already stretched social security and medicare systems. It appears to be a win-win situation, however, some key Americans or American governmental institutions appear to turn a blind eye with regards to the troubles that the current legal immigration system is encountering. And most legal immigrants have a hard time understanding the politics behind this.

Having lived in the country for about 10 years, I feel as strongly about where the country is going just like any other American. I dislike the war. I donate my clothes to orphanages in my local community. I celebrate Christmas (even though my religion is different). I have tried to voice my concerns about the state of the local roads. I could go on. I love America for what it provides. However, as far as legal immigration is concerned, all I can see in the near future is just hopelessness.

Maybe the only way that we can get our message heard is by staging rallies just like the illegal immigrants did to get the public to wake up to what we are going through.

I tend not to post messages on boards typically, but on this boring Saturday morning, I thought I should voice my opinion for whatever it's worth. All I ask is to give us some hope. Throw us a bone so we can get on with our lives. I am sure that most legal immigrants will repay it in one way or another to make the country successful as it's clearly in their vested interest to do so.

Nikesh

[1] http://politics.nytimes.com/election-gu ... mmigration

Well, if all the illegal aliens that snuck in here and have squatted long enough to apply for citizenship weren’t in your way. If the chain migration were under control.

We had a system that worked, until it was overrun by illegal aliens that received amnesty, which sponsored more immigrants via chain migration, or all the illegal aliens with anchor babies and all the illegal aliens that have followed them. We wouldn't have a problem, if our immigration laws had been enforced over the last 20 years.

Your process time for citizenship would be greatly reduced, if all the cheaters were not in your way.

America had an system based on honesty and honor, which has been abused by dishonest illegal aliens. Many of them are very proud of how they worked the system and cheated. There are plenty of them around sharing that information with more illegal aliens. The most despicable are the ones that have children to latch into welfare, housing assistance...

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Illegaly entering our country reveals the content of an illegal alien's character. He has a criminal mind and disrespect for the law. I don't want that kind of person in America. Got enough home grown problems without importing them.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Legal immigration is way too high and needs to be cut way down or a time out. The US allows way too many and I’m becoming a foreigner in my own country. Numbers USA web site has tons of data on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Once_A_Democrat
    Legal immigration is way too high and needs to be cut way down or a time out. The US allows way too many and I’m becoming a foreigner in my own country. Numbers USA web site has tons of data on this subject.
    The lovely USCIS is letting Mexicans and hispanics come to this country like no tomorrow. BUT For a Canadian who practically grew up in the US it's a living hell to immigrate here legally. I lost 6 years of my life doing nothing. I can't go to school. I can't work. I can't buy a car. I can't buy a house. I'm 20 years old. Almost 21. It's a shame I can't live a normal life. It's also a shame that the USCIS is full of idiots who don't know what they're talking about or even doing. I checked my case status online, and they changed the dates that they received my case. (have letters from the USCIS to proove it) It went from November 1st 2007 to November 20 2007. Why? So they have an extra 2 to 3 weeks to give me my work permit? I tried calling the USCIS up to blast them one, but of course they're not working right now. Why is it so easy for a hispanic to come here and so damn hard for anyone else?
    "I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio" - Rodney Dangerfield

Quote Originally Posted by Once_A_Democrat
    Depends on who you think a foreigner is -- I see myself as close to an American as any American can possibly be. I keep abreast to what the country is going through by reading local, national and international news as well. I value the environment and recycle most of what I consume. I take the bus to work, even though I can clearly afford commuting to work by car.

I am referring primarily to the skilled worker class immigration which is hardly a hundred thousand a year at most. Of a US population of 300 million, would a few hundred thousand cause an issue?

An alternative view, is of course, to say that the US has had enough immigration and completely stem immigration as well as temporary workers. However, given the current population, I am not sure how a few hundred thousand would cause that much of an issue for the next few years to come.

If one still thinks that the country has way too many immigrants, please just indicate so to the temporary workers entering the country and do not mislead them that their is the possibility of immigrating here. All I am asking here is, do not offer legal immigrants in this country hope only to later take it away. That would make the decision of whether to further pursue the intent to immigrate here much easier for people like me. I have far too much vested interest to go to another country (either my own or a different one) at this time, although I would if I was asked to. If I were told a few years back that I cannot immigrate then my decision would have been much simpler.

I remain with the hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    Well, if all the illegal aliens that snuck in here and have squatted long enough to apply for citizenship weren’t in your way. If the chain migration were under control.

We had a system that worked, until it was overrun by illegal aliens that received amnesty, which sponsored more immigrants via chain migration, or all the illegal aliens with anchor babies and all the illegal aliens that have followed them. We wouldn't have a problem, if our immigration laws had been enforced over the last 20 years.

Your process time for citizenship would be greatly reduced, if all the cheaters were not in your way.

America had an system based on honesty and honor, which has been abused by dishonest illegal aliens. Many of them are very proud of how they worked the system and cheated. There are plenty of them around sharing that information with more illegal aliens. The most despicable are the ones that have children to latch into welfare, housing assistance...

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Illegaly entering our country reveals the content of an illegal alien's character. He has a criminal mind and disrespect for the law. I don't want that kind of person in America. Got enough home grown problems without importing them.

Dixie
    I am not an expert on illegal immigration, however, with the little knowledge I have, it appears that there is no direct relationship between legal and illegal immigration. One indirect impact that I can think of, for example, is instead of spending US tax payer dollars to build a fence, that money could have been invested in improving the legal immigration system.

As a humanitarian, I feel sorry for the illegal immigrants. However, on the other hand, they are breaking the law in one way or another when entering the country.

I will remain neutral on this topic and let the experts comment on it.

Quote Originally Posted by NikeshRam
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie

Dixie
    I am not an expert on illegal immigration, however, with the little knowledge I have, it appears that there is no direct relationship between legal and illegal immigration. One indirect impact that I can think of, for example, is instead of spending US tax payer dollars to build a fence, that money could have been invested in improving the legal immigration system.

As a humanitarian, I feel sorry for the illegal immigrants. However, on the other hand, they are breaking the law in one way or another when entering the country.

I will remain neutral on this topic and let the experts comment on it.
    Why do you feel sorry for the illegal immigrants? They get to work and go to school. A Legal one who's waiting for their green card and work permit can't do anything! You should feel sorry for the legal ones that are stuck in the system. We came here for a better life too! We learned how to blend into American society. I learned how your government works. I speak your language even if it is my 5th language. I came here, and obeyed your laws... Yet everyone feels sorry for the illegals. They choose to work slave labor. They choose to live on top of each other. They choose to live they way their living. Not my problem. I don't feel 1 ounce of sadness for them.
    "I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio" - Rodney Dangerfield

[quote=ginger-snaps]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Once_A_Democrat":2iaard0y
    The lovely USCIS is letting Mexicans and hispanics come to this country like no tomorrow. BUT For a Canadian who practically grew up in the US it's a living hell to immigrate here legally. I lost 6 years of my life doing nothing. I can't go to school. I can't work. I can't buy a car. I can't buy a house. I'm 20 years old. Almost 21. It's a shame I can't live a normal life. It's also a shame that the USCIS is full of idiots who don't know what they're talking about or even doing. I checked my case status online, and they changed the dates that they received my case. (have letters from the USCIS to proove it) It went from November 1st 2007 to November 20 2007. Why? So they have an extra 2 to 3 weeks to give me my work permit? I tried calling the USCIS up to blast them one, but of course they're not working right now. Why is it so easy for a hispanic to come here and so damn hard for anyone else?[/quote:2iaard0y]

Certainly USCIS could do better. I am a tax paying resident of this country. Maybe one strategy is to take some percent of the taxes from legal residents (not citizens) and direct them to better USCIS. The other alternative, of course, is to increase fees for filing immigration applications. Both of which will work.

The crux of the problem, is that the government and media have paid little attention to the legal immigration problem compared to other problems the country is facing. I know there have been some flares in the media about legal immigration, but rarely has it resulted in something positive or reasonable.

There are far too many problems in the US that need to be addressed than just immigration which is sad to see. Perhaps that will change with the new government.

I think they should put a hold all the applications submitted by illegal alien parents who have had anchor babies here until everyone else who has applied the legal way is taken care of. If Ron Paul gets in, there will be no more anchor babies and that would take a tremendous burden off this problem. And I think a hold should be on any new applications for anyone from a foreign country until this mess is cleaned up. Just processing the ones they already have will take years as it is.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[quote=NikeshRam]
    Quote Originally Posted by ginger-snaps
    Quote Originally Posted by "Once_A_Democrat":m1ooipgo
    The lovely USCIS is letting Mexicans and hispanics come to this country like no tomorrow. BUT For a Canadian who practically grew up in the US it's a living hell to immigrate here legally. I lost 6 years of my life doing nothing. I can't go to school. I can't work. I can't buy a car. I can't buy a house. I'm 20 years old. Almost 21. It's a shame I can't live a normal life. It's also a shame that the USCIS is full of idiots who don't know what they're talking about or even doing. I checked my case status online, and they changed the dates that they received my case. (have letters from the USCIS to proove it) It went from November 1st 2007 to November 20 2007. Why? So they have an extra 2 to 3 weeks to give me my work permit? I tried calling the USCIS up to blast them one, but of course they're not working right now. Why is it so easy for a hispanic to come here and so damn hard for anyone else?
    Certainly USCIS could do better. I am a tax paying resident of this country. Maybe one strategy is to take some percent of the taxes from legal residents (not citizens) and direct them to better USCIS. The other alternative, of course, is to increase fees for filing immigration applications. Both of which will work.

The crux of the problem, is that the government and media have paid little attention to the legal immigration problem compared to other problems the country is facing. I know there have been some flares in the media about legal immigration, but rarely has it resulted in something positive or reasonable.

There are far too many problems with the current government than just immigration which is sad to see.

Perhaps that will change with the new government.[/quote:m1ooipgo]

How can a legal immigrant afford to pay higher filing fee's? I had to pay over $3,000 to file my applications. I can't work. All that money came from money I had saved up in the bank. Raising the filing fee's would make no one apply. No one will be able to afford immigrating here unless they work illegally here then apply.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast