Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hello, I am a legal immigrant, I worked in the US for 6 years,
    after that I went back to my country to wait for my green
    card application (hopefully 2009) to become current.

I have paid over 25,000 in INS-lawyer fees and it was worth
    it compared to the alternative back in my country (unemployment).

So far it has been a great experience, it is unfortunate that
    the system is slow, but anyway this country sometimes does
    not listen to its own citizens so why they should pay attention
    to us the legal immigrants.???

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie
    nikeshram

Our government is using its power and might and the threat of withholding confiscated taxpayer funds to make sure most of our children do not get the education needed to get a job.

Yes, Americans are being denied jobs in all sectors because they are not quite the 'bargain' of foreign workers - legal or illegal. That isn't right.

Everyone here, had ancestors who immigrated here - even the American Indians, we are learning.

That is so immaterial. We did a lot of things in the past in this country we no longer do and we can no longer afford to do. That's true of all countries. That's why we can change our laws and our policies - to fit the times. The founding fathers knew this.

Not many places on the planet are still occupied by the same people who originally inhabited it. Almost everyone migrated from somewhere.

We have a country here that was built - not because of immigrants. But because those immigrants became Americans. It wasn't built just because we fought some wars, or some big thing. It evolved because the Americans here, whether they came last year or their ancestors were on the Mayflower, because they respected this country and wanted it to grow and to work. They liked the idea of freedom. They worked within our rule of law. They wanted to leave something for their children and grandchildren - not just material things but the opportunity to grow and be free.

Sadly, I don't see many people - speaking of those things. They talk of coming for work, to make money. America is much more than that - at least to me. America was great when many of us were living in sod huts or log cabins. America was great when many took to the road because of the great depression. America was great in adversity - not just in prosperity.

I get a lump in my throat when I see our flag - and when I hear our national anthem. The fact that that flag was used when we fought wars is only part of it. It is the fact our flag has been a symbol of freedom. It represents the millions of hardworking Americans who lived, worked and died with no estate, but they had done their part to cherish, maintain and sustain the freedom that was America.

It's not all about money.
    Most Americans do not share your view of this country. Most Americans take it for granted and simply live to watch their families grow, make money, watch American Idol, or party. I think about the people living in third world nations and I say to myself, "Man. I'm really lucky to be an American and not have to worry about food/shelter like these people. America has afforded me the opportunity to get an education and to get my own business started. These people will probably never have that opportunity or freedom to do so." Not many Americans, unfortunately, realize how great of a country this is. They take it for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    I'm sorry, but after reading through this entire thread I'm forced to call a TROLL ALERT on Nikeshram!

He's obviously here to shake ALIPAC up with the concept that the United States owes him permanent residency. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds as if he thinks the right for permanent residency was automatically inferred when he was issued a guest-worker visa. Are we obligated to allow all guest-workers permanent residency and future citizenship simply because they came here to work? Remember, the majority of guest-workers currently residing in the U.S. were brought here in order to cut labor cost for corporations. Why pay an American software engineer $65,000 a year when you can import someone from, let's say India, to do the job for $35,000 a year? I would suggest that there is no shortage of skilled labor in the U.S., just "cheaper" labor.

TROLL ALERT!
    THANK YOU! I AGREE.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Most Americans do not share your view of this country.

Do you think that is good or bad?

Most Americans take it for granted and simply live to watch their families grow, make money, watch American Idol, or party. I think about the people living in third world nations and I say to myself, "Man. I'm really lucky to be an American and not have to worry about food/shelter like these people. America has afforded me the opportunity to get an education and to get my own business started. These people will probably never have that opportunity or freedom to do so." Not many Americans, unfortunately, realize how great of a country this is. They take it for granted.

You know you are probably right. Our schools have almost completely destroyed the respect and love of this country and it's history. They only learn the bad things and that we have worked hard to make bad things right - in spite of our government.

We, as parents and grandparents, (pointing to myself) have been remiss in teaching the lessons to our children. I never realized until it stopped happening just how much our parents and grandparents taught us to respect this country. It wasn't just something they recited to us - it was something they lived on a daily basis.

I was taught, 'Take care of it and it will take care of you.' They didn't mean I would be wealthy, have everything I wanted, but that I would have an opportunity and that I could be free.

Yes, we are all grateful we are not starving - or living in a war zone - but we have lost site of the very things that have kept that at bay - and we could be in that situation in a very short time - if we concentrate on, as you say, watching American Idol, or rah-rahing the Cowboys on Sunday.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    Re:
    Wait, I am not yet looking for citizenship. I am more than glad to wait for the required wait time to become a citizen. But to become a citizen, I first have to become a permanent resident -- a green card holder. The wait for which is itself long, really long due to backlogs and an antiquated system.
    Maybe the system is working as intended... maybe it's a long wait in order to weed out those that would just come and stay here for a job vs. those that actually want to become citizens?
    I'm going to refer back to my comment above to explain things in the reverse...

What if US citizenship meant no job, but still cost thousands of dollars to pursue? Would you be so eager to gain PR/citizenship in that case??? It seems, this is a point of view that is conspicuously not heard from people wishing to come here.

In short: 'the system' is not designed around nor geared toward the convenience of the foreign person seeking residence here. It is designed around the needs and requirements of US Federal Law as enacted by our elected representatives.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    I'm sorry, but after reading through this entire thread I'm forced to call a TROLL ALERT on Nikeshram!

He's obviously here to shake ALIPAC up with the concept that the United States owes him permanent residency. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds as if he thinks the right for permanent residency was automatically inferred when he was issued a guest-worker visa. Are we obligated to allow all guest-workers permanent residency and future citizenship simply because they came here to work? Remember, the majority of guest-workers currently residing in the U.S. were brought here in order to cut labor cost for corporations. Why pay an American software engineer $65,000 a year when you can import someone from, let's say India, to do the job for $35,000 a year? I would suggest that there is no shortage of skilled labor in the U.S., just "cheaper" labor.

TROLL ALERT!
    Sign, thanks! Please read my entire post before responding. I am tired of typing trying to make my point and now I actually have to defend my position. I will herewith ignore any such responses that do not deserve a response.

Again, there are two kinds of visa's -- those that have a pathway to citizenship and those that do not. Not all guest workers necessarily become permanent residents. I have never mixed the two, permanent resident application and temporary worker program, up. In fact I have stated the difference between the two. The current system, primarily the green card system, has backlogs that will not be eliminated for a long time to come!

Make what you may of my situation, all I ask of people is that please weigh in our plight amongst illegal immigrants. Perhaps it would be easier for me to become an illegal and I would have a faster pathway to citizenship! And I think that is unfair (which was the topic of the original post) for those of us silently waiting, obeying the law.

If you are one of those that think that all the job problems you are facing is because of those legal immigrants, I will not respond as I have tried to make my point already.

NikeshRam, there is no such thing like the right to obtain US citizenship. It is a privilege which could be either granted or denied. I understand you are one of those who are applying for the US citizenship just now after the illegal immigration crisis surfaced. However, American society is unsettled by massive immigration (both legal and illegal) and the bitter truth is that the US cannot accept everyone.

I think you are also one of the victims in the big game of politicians and corporations which is being played with our lives and fates.

On the more positive note if you are from India your country's economy is booming and there is a lot of opportunities to start a career there. Unfortunately the world is not inflatable and we cannot get everything we wish.

Re:
    Wait, I am not yet looking for citizenship. I am more than glad to wait for the required wait time to become a citizen. But to become a citizen, I first have to become a permanent resident -- a green card holder. The wait for which is itself long, really long due to backlogs and an antiquated system.
    Maybe the system is working as intended... maybe it's a long wait in order to weed out those that would just come and stay here for a job vs. those that actually want to become citizens?
    I'm going to refer back to my comment above to explain things in the reverse...

What if US citizenship meant no job, but still cost thousands of dollars to pursue? Would you be so eager to gain PR/citizenship in that case??? It seems, this is a point of view that is conspicuously not heard from people wishing to come here.

In short: 'the system' is not designed around nor geared toward the convenience of the foreign person seeking residence here. It is designed around the needs and requirements of US Federal Law as enacted by our elected representatives.
    If you read my entire post, all I will say to this is that there are some things that are in there that are wrong and have come about that cause only more pains to us legal immigrants. Unfairness that we will now have to voice out. Maybe the elected representatives are not aware of the problems of the current system. Perhaps I am in the wrong forum and any form of reason is useless.

Globalization and free-trade are complex topics. If you look at the number of immigrants, especially high-tech workers who have advanced degrees (PhD), you will note that the numbers aren't significant. The history of economics will teach you that immigrants have never been the problem. It has been the various effects of free-trade and global competitiveness.

I will not comment further, because I would like to carry on with my day-to-day life. But, I will leave this thread with the following.

Please be aware that there are some of us who have not abused the system, for whom our companies have rightfully posted jobs for which there were very few citizens that responded with the right skill set. We are paid competitive or better salaries. We have applied for legal residency that love your country, your people, are peace-loving, abide by all the rules, pay taxes, serve the local community and love the environment. And yet, we are stuck in a system that offers little hope.

Citizenship for foreign born in any nation is not a right for anyone,but is a privilege extended by the host country to those that come here legally and has the patience to apply with all the proper paperwork and procedures that are necessary to gain citizenship.The reason for this is in the fact that tens of millions want to drop their loyalty to their birth country and adopt this country.This is the reason that it takes so much time and rightfully so.Citizenship should never be given nor received casually.It is a process that is either worth waiting years to achieve or it's not.One must choose and proceed from there.If waiting years to become an American citizen isn't worth it, then there's always the alternative of returning to the home country and using their education and knowledge to advance their own society.Sometimes loyalty to one's birth country and using that loyalty for the benefit of that country is right for all concerned.Each person mush make that decision for themselves.

In the case of those here illegally there's no decision to make.They're here illegally and have forfeited any privilege they might have had if they had applied for legal residence.from their home country.They will never over come the dishonor of coming here illegally and are certainly not the kind of new citizens our country needs or wants.They have neither loyalty nor honor for their birth country and deserve nothing but scorn from lawbiding citizens of any nation.

And yet, we are stuck in a system that offers little hope.
    Since you've decided to turn away for the time being, I'll pose the question rhetorically for the other onlookers just the same...

So how is that any different than life for US citizens? I can assure you, there is no shortage of desperation and despair among thousands or even millions of Americans - yet, somehow, you think you have the right(?) to not be bothered with such thing. I can't buy into your perspective on this.
    You are asking for something most Americans don't have the luxury of having.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast