Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

gusgriswald,

I know a guy that will not speak to his mother in Spanish. Since she learned English, he will not communicate with her in Spanish but he is raising his children to be bi-lingual.

Your father had an interesting rule. Xaviera Hollander's family spoke only in one of several foreign languages on the weekends.

My entire family chose Spanish as their second language. I did not and I have no regrets about the one I chose. Also, I sorta want to learn Russian.

nntrix,

I agree, all this emotional junk being injected into this issue is irrelevant. Every criminal has a mother that cries for him/her and they have bleeding heart stories to tell too.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The other day my wife and I were invited to a Christmas party at one of our friends house. Some of the people at the party knew my wife and others did not. My wife told me after the party that a lady came up to her and asked her if she was a Mexican. She said the lady said this to her in a way that made her feel like if she was an illegal. It was not the courteous "What nationality are you from"? that you normally hear people ask. When my wife told me this I got a little emotional. However, you know that not all people are the same and at times you can expect something like that to happen. This is a heated debate on many levels and emotions are running high.
    I don't feel sorry about people that made a decision to come here illegally. I did not get the memo when they were planning the trip. It was a decision between them and more than likely the family that sent the money to bring them here. Most of the so called problems the illegals are having could have been prevented by the illegals if they simply followed our laws.
    So, I try to save my emotions for what I care about.

gusgriswald, very good logic.
    ------------------------

nntrixie wrote:
    What I meant was the emotions of 'poor little children', 'we can't separate families', 'just want a job', etc.. These are the things the pro illegal crowd puts out there on an hourly basis.
    'poor little children' and 'we can't separate families'---means that we need to look at these kids as minors without adult rights anyway. If they are minors and kids of illegals, then they should be deported and welcomed back when they are adults. Even true American citizens' kids must suffer when their parents break the law--but try telling that to Rosa!

'just want a job, etc..' --means that they don't care about legality or our laws, just fork over the bennies and cash and never mind about becoming a true citizen of America while giving up citizenship and alligeiance to Mexico--learn English!

Their claims have no merit. They should not have any rights to anything because they entered our country illegally (which they don't care about either) and they should not be here at all.

GO HOME YA BUNCH OF CHICKENS AND STRAIGHTEN OUT YOUR OWN COUNTRY. QUIT STEALING FROM OURS. YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Legal Spanish Citizens Reaction/ African American Reacti

African Americans are viewed as a minority in this country. Soon they will become the forgotten if this issue is approved. Just trying to get some thought on that.
    What does "minority" have to do with anything. Forgotten? How? I don't think so. Is someone going to forget they are American citizens first and Afro-Americans last?Americans are Americans and Afro-Americans are not the only minority.
    I think you are trying to make something that is not there. Native Americans are a minority also.[/quote]

dyehard: PLEASE HEAR ME OUT HERE:

I can understand grugriswald's questions, to a point. African Americans, and Native Americans have been a minority ethnic group in this country.

It is true that both blacks and Natives have been victims of discrimination and disenfranchisement in America. I am not one to believe that America can right every single wrong perpetuated for centuries upon certain minorites within 40 short years, bearing the fact that it has only been slighty more than 40 years since the Civil Rights Act was signed.

I am American first, but I do identify with my ethnic group, which is of African descent. I love America, with all of it's shortcomings and faults. I respect it as a great and sovereign nation. America still has issues and problems within our own borders which need to be continuously addressed: race-relations, the working poor, homelessness, joblessness, refusal to pay a living wage to our own citizens, crime amongst our own citizens, healthcare, homeland security, etc. etc.

We all need to ban together as citizens first to fight against the out-of-control illegal problems; and I wish more minority citizens would realize this.

There has indeed been much complacency in the black community regarding illegal immigration. Disconcertedly, illegal immigration has received much misguided support from people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, and groups like the NAACP.

In other words, blacks (and I add other minority citizens) in America NEED to realize that the illegal immigration problem affects them TOO, if it is nothing more but the fact that, those entities which support illegal immigration are ignoring America's own problems from within while inviting even greater problems from without.

------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by bornbredhere
    African Americans are viewed as a minority in this country. Soon they will become the forgotten if this issue is approved. Just trying to get some thought on that.
    What does "minority" have to do with anything. Forgotten? How? I don't think so. Is someone going to forget they are American citizens first and Afro-Americans last?Americans are Americans and Afro-Americans are not the only minority.
    I think you are trying to make something that is not there. Native Americans are a minority also.

dyehard: PLEASE HEAR ME OUT HERE:

I can understand grugriswald's questions, to a point. African Americans, and Native Americans have been a minority ethnic group in this country.

It is true that both blacks and Natives have been victims of discrimination and disenfranchisement in America. I am not one to believe that America can right every single wrong perpetuated for centuries upon certain minorites within 40 short years, bearing the fact that it has only been slighty more than 40 years since the Civil Rights Act was signed.

I am American first, but I do identify with my ethnic group, which is of African descent. I love America, with all of it's shortcomings and faults. I respect it as a great and sovereign nation. America still has issues and problems within our own borders which need to be continuously addressed: race-relations, the working poor, homelessness, joblessness, refusal to pay a living wage to our own citizens, crime amongst our own citizens, healthcare, homeland security, etc. etc.

We all need to ban together as citizens first to fight against the out-of-control illegal problems; and I wish more minority citizens would realize this.
    There has indeed been much complacency in the black community regarding illegal immigration. Disconcertedly, illegal immigration has received much misguided support from people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, and groups like the NAACP.

In other words, blacks (and I add other minority citizens) in America NEED to realize that the illegal immigration problem affects them TOO, if it is nothing more but the fact that, those entities which support illegal immigration are ignoring America's own problems from within while inviting even greater problems from without.[/quote]

This exactly the point that I'm trying to make with regard to minority groups. If you are a legal American citizen and you enjoy living in this country even with all the problems, I would think that you would be outraged at the invasion of illegals. This is a problem that affects us all as a nation. I guess in some respect people are just ignoring the issue and my intent was to get some feedback.

[quote="gusgriswaldThis exactly the point that I'm trying to make with regard to minority groups. If you are a legal American citizen and you enjoy living in this country even with all the problems, I would think that you would be outraged at the invasion of illegals. This is a problem that affects us all as a nation. I guess in some respect people are just ignoring the issue and my intent was to get some feedback.[/quote]

That is why I had to post that I understood the reason you asked the question. I do love being an American. I am proud to be an American. We don't live in a perfect country. We don't need the additional problems that the illegal invasion is causing. We need to take care of our own problems and our own people.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567