Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    Well, I would like to interject here......My father grew up doing farm work in Washington, long before there were illegal immigrants to do it, and as kids in Sandy and Boring, we spent every summer till we could have a job at the legal age.

We picked berries and beans. We worked for about 6 hours each day all summer, paid by the pound. We were young, agile, fit and could go for long hours and worked fast because of smaller fingers. One of my oldest brothers could average $20.00 a day, and this was five days a week.

It was great job ethic training, gave us all a sense of accomplishment, and gave us something to do with ourselves during summer break. All good reasons to never had this taken over by illegal immigrants.

Now kids can no longer do this under certain ages so they grow up not knowing that hard work can be satisfying. Generations of my family, up to me, have been "farmworkers", so in a way I resent people saying that these are "jobs no American will do".

As for the moderate thing Answerman, sorry, you won't find it with me. My ancestors on my mothers side came here in 1634, and my fathers in early 1700's. I look at that and feel it is a lot of time for both sides to have been invested in this country to hand it over to people who do not want to respect the work already done here, by people like my ancestors. I am also a third generation Oregonian and love it here too much to allow it to degrade more than it already has.

I moved out at 18, I am now 38, that was only 20 years ago and then I did not know what a "gang" was, lost to what illegal aliens were, and did not even know cockroaches existed. In 20 years I have seen the town I settled in (Gresham) go from sleepy little farm community, to a slum of Portland, where illegals drain resources by their gang crime, theft and social service needs.

I am tired of them demanding all things in Spanish. Tired of the schools being a place my kids are not able to attend, it is too difficult for them ,they do not get the attention needed from teachers, as they are the lucky Americans so they must be at the back of the educational line to make room for the "poor illegal immigrant" kids who do not speak English.

Sorry Answerman, I cannot live with this as a future for Oregon. Illegal immigration is draining my Oregon away.

As for legal immigration, it's ok, as long as we are bringing people in who do have specific skills and/or education that will allow them to be self-sufficient as quickly as possible, not to be a drain on their new society. I want to see limited and reasonable numbers, and want to see equity in this process, with people who are experiencing religious and political persecution first, those with family already here (to reunite them) and others next.

But as a lifetime Oregonian, I want to see the Northwest stay as nice as possible, not decayed by little Tijuana slums all over town, with gangsters threatening our safety.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by JuniusJnr
    Quote:
    We harbor no disrespect toward immigrants, rather we believe that it is the quantity of immigration to America and Oregon which is straining our environmental, fiscal, and social structures. Oregonians For Immigration Reform is committed to working toward the establishment of lower immigration numbers.

I'd agree with that statement only if it read this way:
    Quote:
    We harbor no disrespect toward immigrants, rather we believe that it is the quantity of illegal immigration to America and Oregon which is straining our environmental, fiscal, and social structures. Oregonians For Immigration Reform is committed to working toward the establishment of lower illegal immigration numbers.
    I am inclined to agree with the mission statement of the site. Right now, the immigration laws are so skewed that they are part of the reason there are so many illegals here. I'd say we should definitely not INCREASE the number of immigrants who will be allowed to come here and, until we get the illegals out, perhaps we should DECREASE it.
    If anyone reads my signature line with a quote on overpopulationn by Henry Kendall, you will see that I don't favor massive and unrestricted LEGAL immigration either. It's a matter of common sense and legal immigration levels increased (don't remember the exact figures ) but from somewhere around 250,000 per year to 1.3 or more million per year after 1965 when Teddy Kennedy (that drunken sot) pushed for and got passed a huge immigration bill that opened up the floodgates for not only a significant increase in legal immigration but an even more signficant increase in illegal aliens.

I know, I know America is a nation of immigrants. I''ve heard this rant many times before including from Congress Dunces who are SUPPOSED to be representing the American citizens who pay their hefty and over-inflated salaries and benefits.

I'm a fan of Frosty Wooldrige among a number of others in the immigration enforcement movement. Frosty wrote a book, "Immigrations Unarmed Invasion: Deadly Consequences," in 2004. I own a copy. Many people at Alipac link to Frosty's usually bi-weekly articles on the immigration/illegal immigration situation.

Frosty says in his book and I do believe on his website as well that the USA needs a 10-year moratorium on all immigration so we take a breather and get caught up on important matters; two being overpopulation and environmental damage caused by too many people. There's a section of a chapter in the book titled, "It's the Numbers, Stupid."

Americans do not want the overpopulation of places such as China or India or any other third world country nor the ensuing poverty. Why would we now? If we did we'd be insane.

Yes, there are still many wide open spaces in America. Perhaps we can open up all our National Parks and fill them up with Big Box Marts, Strip Malls and cheap subsidized housing to house all the poor foreigners and our ever increasing poor because of them.

Another great idea! Let's just pave over all the midwest and farmland and do the same to it as we ought to be doing with our National Parks. After all, who needs to grow food.? Most of those grains are fed to the livestock anyway and if we were all vegetarians, fewer people in the world would be starving.

I for one just love seeing McDonalds and gas station signs every block. They sure do add to the background. Anyone else appreciate this new form of MODERN ART as much as I do?
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

Banned
    Damn thelma, how'd you DO that??

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanElizabeth
    Now kids can no longer do this under certain ages so they grow up not knowing that hard work can be satisfying. Generations of my family, up to me, have been "farmworkers", so in a way I resent people saying that these are "jobs no American will do".
    AmericanElizabeth,

This is so true about teens. My 15 year old looked into a few lower level entry jobs and they don't hire younger than 16; in fact, I was told at a couple of retail places that the age limit has been upgraded to 18.

By the time I was 18, I'd already held two part-time jobs in what would be considered now jobs that JUST NO AMERICAN WOULD DO. I currently have a teen finishing up 10th grade (hey, I posted this info on another thread so don't mean to be long-winded here). She wants a summer job and will have to get one otherwise I cannot afford the extra $200 or so per month when she turns 16 in May and needs to be added to my vehicle insurance policy. Her first car - well there isn't one and I own a 1998 Ford car with more than 80,000 miles. My children's father (divorced from me) started life insurance policies about the time of our children's births. There's some cash value. Cashing in her insurance policy is probably how my teen is going to be able to afford her own first and cheapo vehicle. And, I hear many illegal aliens apply for and get all types of taxpayer welfare while driving around in nice, new and shiny vehicles.
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

Sorry Answerman, I cannot live with this as a future for Oregon. Illegal immigration is draining my Oregon away.
    Why is it that people here think I favor illegal immigration? I believe I stated clearly (and in bold print) that I favored ZERO illegal immigration. That's why I became a paying member of Americans For Legal Immigration (not no immigration). And, I don't favor rampant legal immigration either ... but do favor the current petition approval rate of 700,000 per year (up from 500,000 in 1921).
    I want to see limited and reasonable numbers, and want to see equity in this process, with people who are experiencing religious and political persecution first, those with family already here (to reunite them) and others next.
    I agree ... but I'd also add skill-based preferences into that mix. In other words, if we were running short of machinists here, petitioners with verifiable machinist skills should be prioritized appropriately.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelmahopkins
    TO come on board on a week that is this pivotal and argue about the merits of immigration - dismissing two major groups : www.numbersusa.com and oregonir.org is hardly a good manner in which to introduce yourself to the board.
    So ... I was supposed to come here and agree with you when I don't? As you said:
    Quote Originally Posted by thelmahopkins
    I kinda thought the United States was created for freedom of thought and liberty-
    Or ... do you mean "freedom of thought and liberty" ONLY if I agree with you?

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    Answerman, not insinuating you belive in illegal immigration, just clraifying how strongly I feel about what it has done to Oregon (and of course every other state), and especially my own local community.

But I just do not feel that people in Multnomah county get it at all. They want to ride the fence and be everyones buddy, in all issues, and sometimes we just have to take the more difficult path, especially when we feel truly right in our hearts, thats all I was attempting to say.

I guess because of where I have lived for the past three years, and what I've seen, I feel that being a "moderate" is like being one of those Portlanders, it irks me.

I see these anchor babies on tv, screaming about amnesty and "fairness", and thats all because their mommas and daddys came here illegally and they do not want to lose their privilaged status if their parents are threatened with deportation. They have NO rights here at all, and I am personally unwilling to ever back down.

To me these people come here, expect, expect and then are surprised when Americans get mad and say "forget it buddy", "go back".

Noillegal, I'm with you all the way. My 23 year old is currently living with us. She tried unsucessfully to get a job from 16 on, and now that she is an adult, people do not prefer to hire her as she now has no experience. As well, she was never able to afford her own car, so now she is struggling. Her only hope is to get some financial aid and borrow her way through college, get a degree and know she will have a future (kind of really needs it she is now a single parent).

We need to allow the kids do some farm work in the summer, when they are 14, get jobs and learn what it is to earn what they want. When they do not have chances, and their horizons look limited, thats when some of them start to gravitate towards trouble. Kick out the illegals and start hiring our young people. Heck I'll go out berry-picking again and take my two younger ones for extra money!!!
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789