Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breakin ... 38199.html

Foes line up to oppose Dream Act
    Posted on Fri, Sep. 14, 2007Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email
    BY LESLEY CLARK
    lclark@MiamiHerald.com

WASHINGTON -- Months after the collapse of a sweeping immigration overhaul, a top Senate Democrat plans to push for a smaller measure that could give tens of thousands of undocumented high school and college students a shot at legalization.

The legislation, known as the Dream Act, could give students who were brought to the United States before they were 16 a chance for residency if they graduate high school, stay out of trouble and complete at least two years of college or enlist in the military.

Immigration advocates say the legislation, which Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin, D-Ill., hopes to introduce as soon as next week, is the best chance for students like brothers Juan and Alex Gomez, who came to the United States as infants, were educated in Miami-Dade public schools and are now fighting orders of deportation to Colombia.

But opponents already are gearing up, hoping to torpedo the measure, which they consider ``piecemeal amnesty.''

Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., who who helped derail the immigration bill, this week sent out a letter to his colleagues, warning that ''a conservative estimate suggests that at least one million illegal aliens will qualify'' for the provision.

Though Sessions' opposition is not unexpected, it represents one of the considerable hurdles the legislation has faced since it was introduced in 2001. The climate for passage may be particularly tough this year, with anti-immigration advocates emboldened by the defeat of the larger immigration bill, which had the backing of President Bush and Florida Sen. Mel Martinez, the general chairman of the Republican National Committee.

Pro-Dream Act groups are unlikely to have Martinez's support this time around. Durbin plans to offer it as an amendment to the Defense Department authorization bill. A spokesman for Martinez said Friday that the senator doesn't support ''adding immigration-related amendments'' to the defense bill.

Durbin acknowledges the uphill battle, but said he has bipartisan backing and is working both sides to garner more support.

''Thousands of young people are counting on this effort,'' said Durbin, who argued on the Senate floor that ``we can allow a generation of immigrant students with great potential and ambitions to contribute more fully to our society and national security, or we can relegate them to a future in the shadows.''

Durbin suggested the act could boost military recruiting efforts and is hoping interest from the Defense Department will persuade some of the bill's critics to take a second look.

Bill Carr, acting deputy undersecretary of defense for military personnel policy, told representatives of veterans' group in June that the measure -- which was then part of the immigration bill -- could ``boost military recruiting.''

A Defense Department's news agency article quoted Carr as saying that because the provision applies to the ''cream of the crop'' of students, it would be ''very appealing'' to the military.

Cheryl Little, executive director of the Florida Immigrant Advocacy Center, which represents the Gomez brothers, says the act is the best opportunity for the Kendall brothers to stay in the United States.

''They've done everything right, studied hard, worked hard. Why wouldn't we take advantage of that?'' she said. ``It's counterintuitive to be deporting success stories.''

But groups that favor stricter caps on immigration argue that the law doesn't make exceptions.

''I'm somewhat sympathetic, but in the eyes of the law they are illegal, regardless of age or however gifted they are as students,'' said John Keeley of the Center for Immigration Studies. Keeley acknowledged the bill would affect a small ``but to the extent it's passed and signed into law, it creates momentum for more of its kind.''

Sessions argues in his letter to his Senate colleagues that the Dream Act and a separate immigration measure that Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., is pursuing ''would provide amnesty to approximately four million illegal aliens [roughly one third of the current illegal alien population].'' Feinstein's AgJOBS bill would allow agricultural workers to obtain legal status.

Among Sessions' complaints: it would eliminate a federal provision that discourages states from providing in-state tuition to undocumented immigrant students.

The act, he says, would ``allow future illegal aliens to qualify for in-state tuition even when it is not offered to citizens and legal permanent resident students living just across state lines.''

And Sessions argues that the act ''is not just for children and young adults.'' It only requires that the immigrant's illegal entry occur before they were 16 years old and says nothing about their current age.

EXTENSIVE COMMENT SECTION INCLUDING ONE FROM YOURS TRULY

Could use some help on this Miami Herald comment section, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by realbsball
    Could use some help on this Miami Herald comment section, guys!
    I'm on it.

the Dream Act and a separate immigration measure that Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., is pursuing
    Anybody have any info on Frankensteins measure? Please share and I and my fellow Californians can get a jump on it.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

AgJobs

Quote Originally Posted by realbsball
    Most recent COSA post:

omfg some of you are just unbelievable. WE ARE WINNING. LET ME REPEAT WE ARE WINNING. one more time: WE ARE WINNING. The senators are getting more calls from US. Only a few, like Kyl, are getting more from opposition, but who cares?? I CANT TAKE anymore of this bs from you pessimists. We have bombarded the senate with calls over the break(or so I read in an article) and set up the foundation. Now we are making as much or MORE calls then opposition. WTF R U WORRIED ABOUT?
    Who is he trying to convince? Would it be the other people on this site or himself? I see encouraging each other on this site, but that is down right panic.

Well done my fellow ALIPACers Let's keep up the pace over the weekend.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We really need to stay on this DREAM insanity. It would be a very decisive victory that would squelch a lot of their rhetoric.

Unless what ever measure is attached actually states this is amnesty, wouldn't if fall under Article 1, Section 9 of the constitution? for those unfamiliar here is a copy, I bolded the part I thought would apply. Remember, I am not a lawyer so I am just running on common sense.

Section 9. The migration or importation of such persons as any of the states now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a tax or duty may be imposed on such importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each person.

The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it.

No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed

I left a comment....aaahhh that felt good to vent..........
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cayla99
    Unless what ever measure is attached actually states this is amnesty, wouldn't if fall under Article 1, Section 9 of the constitution? for those unfamiliar here is a copy, I bolded the part I thought would apply. Remember, I am not a lawyer so I am just running on common sense.

Section 9. The migration or importation of such persons as any of the states now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a tax or duty may be imposed on such importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each person.

The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it.

No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed
    Cayla our government has not enforced any of the immigration laws on the books but this is a interesting find which could possibly be used somehow if our congress passes this amendment.

Thanks for posting it here
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast