Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by Populist
    Although it's premature to go into battle mode, I would nevertheless place a few calls/e-mails/ or faxes to those Republicans in the Senate who could go either way on this. Reid should hear what Americans are saying, but he won't change his mind.

I can't be sure of course, but here are some of the "few others" that Reid may be talking about. Call them if you have the chance (& feel free to add to the list):

-Jon Kyl (AZ)
    -Susan Collins (ME)
    -Kay Bailey Hutchison (TX)
    -Olympia Snowe (ME)
    -John Cornyn (TX)
    Just emailed all five of those this in the last ten minutes with a five-point letter I composed this morning. Plus I keep emailing the news releases from CBP and ICE to my (Democratic) Congressmen. What Democrat Senators can we work on? Jeff Merkely just got elected here and I know he is a dyed in the wool liberal. Wyden is too--but claims he is strong on border enforcement. Do we have any Blue Dogs in the Senate?
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron
    Although it's premature to go into battle mode, I would nevertheless place a few calls/e-mails/ or faxes to those Republicans in the Senate who could go either way on this. Reid should hear what Americans are saying, but he won't change his mind.

I can't be sure of course, but here are some of the "few others" that Reid may be talking about. Call them if you have the chance (& feel free to add to the list):

-Jon Kyl (AZ)
    -Susan Collins (ME)
    -Olympia Snowe (ME)
    -John Cornyn (TX)
    Just emailed all five of those this in the last ten minutes with a five-point letter I composed this morning. Plus I keep emailing the news releases from CBP and ICE to my (Democratic) Congressmen. What Democrat Senators can we work on? Jeff Merkely just got elected here and I know he is a dyed in the wool liberal. Wyden is too--but claims he is strong on border enforcement. Do we have any Blue Dogs in the Senate?

Good capitronron. I think you were making calls for Chambliss. You can use this as a talking point and the poor economy and loss of jobs.

KBH may be a lost cause she's the one who strip the bill of money for the border in the dead of the night. She's s turn coat.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogo
    Is anyone having trouble with NumbersUSA today. It is running soooooooo slow. I hope its traffic.
    I can't into my corkboard.
    All other sites are good.
    i got in, it was slow, but it worked.
    at first i thought it was my computer working slow

captail toll free

and i have called all five of these and since i have no plans for thanksgiving, i will probably take time out between the football gams and into the late evening and write a letter and then cut and paste it to all 98 senators.
    cant send to obama and biden since they are not senators anymore.

but i do think the number one priority needs to be the economy.
    its bad enough that we have lost 1M jobs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron

-Jon Kyl (AZ)
    -Susan Collins (ME)
    -Olympia Snowe (ME)
    -John Cornyn (TX)
    Thanks Captainron (and James). Great work. I've been contacting as well.

Here is the list of Democratic Senators from NumbersUSA that opposed CIR/amnesty last time:

When the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007 (S.1639), sponsored by Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.), came up for consideration this past June, the following Democratic senators went on record opposing the bill by way of voting against cloture (cutting off debate):

Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.)
    Sen. Evan Bayh (D-Ind.)
    Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.)
    Sen. Kit Bond (D-Mo.)
    Sen. Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.)
    Sen. Kent Conrad (D-N.D.)
    Sen. Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.)
    Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.)
    Sen. Mark Pryor (D-Ark.)
    Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.)
    Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.)
    Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.)
    Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.).

working4change
    I have contacted my reps and the 5 above with my sentiments on CIF..I will contact these that you have just posted now. Thanks

Good job everyone. Thanks populist for the reminder of those Democrats who voted for the American citizen.

Q: Will there be as much of a fight on immigration as last time?

A: We've got McCain and we've got a few others. I don't expect much of a fight at all.
    This statement is typical of reid. He never takes the constituents opinions or wishes as any factor in his dealings with anything. This is why his numbers are way down. The only way we will ever receive a somewhat fair shake, is if all immigration issues were put up for vote by the people.

Also, since numbersusa changed the look and coding of their site, it has been slow.
    Have you ever stopped to think, and forget to start again?

I've been emailing down the list of Democrat Senators who voted NO in 2007. I found this from Robert Byrd (D-WV):
    Securing our borders is key to reform and requires a serious funding effortContributed by Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.)
    02/12/08 06:17 PM [ET]
    Since the terrorist attack on Sept. 11, 2001, President Bush, with great fanfare, has declared his commitment to
    achieving comprehensive immigration reform. Yet the president has failed to act on the most pressing priority of the
    immigration issue - securing our nation's borders.
    As I have long stated, immigration reform cannot be achieved if border security is funded on the cheap. The
    administration must put real dollars behind initiatives that will close the gaps in our porous border. For too long, we have
    seen paltry budgets that attempt to close these gaping holes with little more than pocket change.
    Last month, the president stood before Congress and emphatically reasserted his determination to act on this vital issue.
    Once again, his words have not been backed up with real resources.
    The president's fiscal year 2009 budget proposes barely a 1 percent increase in funding for border security and
    enforcement of our immigration laws. It is clear that the president is content to pay lip service instead of making real
    progress on border security.
    Before we can get a handle on illegal immigration we must get control of our borders. Our nation's borders stretch
    for thousands of miles, yet Congress has had to fight tooth and nail for the money needed to train agents and place them
    along our borders. From 2005 to 2008, Congress added over $5.1 billion to the president's request for border security.
    Until Congress stepped into the vacuum left by President Bush, agencies such as Immigrations and Customs
    Enforcement had no choice but to implement a hiring freeze and to release apprehended illegal aliens due to a shortage
    of personnel and detention facilities.
    As the chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee and the chairman of the Appropriations Subcommittee on
    Homeland Security, I have led efforts in Congress to invest critical dollars in our border security initiatives. I believe it is
    Congress's duty to close critical gaps in our borders that leave our homeland vulnerable to those who might wish to harm
    us.
    In the fiscal 2005 Iraqi War Supplemental, I worked with Republican colleagues to add emergency funds for additional
    Border Patrol agents, immigration enforcement personnel, and detention beds. The final legislation funded 500 new
    Border Patrol agents, 50 new immigration agents, 168 new detention and removal personnel, and 1,950 new detention
    beds. The White House opposed that funding effort.
    In the fiscal 2006 Homeland Security Appropriations bill, the Senate again added funds above the president's budget
    request for true border security enhancements. We funded a total of 1,000 new Border Patrol agents - 790 above the
    president's request - as well as additional immigration investigations agents and detention and removal personnel, and
    provided funds to support more than 20,300 detention beds.
    It was not until the president's fiscal 2007 budget request that he finally increased his request for these programs, albeit
    at insufficient levels. It was up to the Congress, once again, to secure the funding needed for beds and border
    construction facility.
    The 9/11 Commission issued a damning report on the status of our borders:
    "More than 500 million people annually cross U.S. borders at legal entry points, about 330 million of them noncitizens.
    Another 500,000 or more enter illegally without inspection across America's thousands of miles of land borders or remain
    in the country past the expiration of their permitted stay."
    Additionally, the commission concluded that "two systemic weaknesses came together in our border system's inability to
    contribute to an effective defense against the 9/11 attacks: a lack of well-developed counterterrorism measures as a part
    of border security and an immigration system not able to deliver on it basic commitments, much less support
    counterterrorism."
    The threat could not be more clear. It is long past time to robustly fund the agencies that act as our first line of defense
    against future acts of terror. Yet the Congress continues to receive budgets from the president that turn a blind eye to the
    terror threat. The Democratic Congress last year restored cuts to the Department of Homeland Security that were
    underfunded by the president and which strengthened efforts to secure our nation's borders.
    This year, we are once again tasked with reversing the administration's wrongheaded budget, and providing critical
    investments for border security. The president has said that his top priority is to defend America. Yet he refuses to
    adequately fund the most basic homeland security priority, protecting our porous borders.
    TheHill.com
    http://thehill.com Powered by Joomla! Generated: 14 February, 2008, 12:52
    We cannot make America safer with empty promises. The bricks and mortar of a strong homeland defense begin at our
    borders. Only then can we begin to tackle the challenge of illegal immigration and reform.
    Byrd is chairman of the Appropriations Subcommittee on Homeland Security.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David

Good find Captain. Sen. Byrd has a career grade of B+ from Numbers, and for Amnesties has career and recent grades of A+. So he is one of the best Democrats on this issue.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast