Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I wrote and told him why we are no longer republicans.

My spouse, our four children and me.

MJ

Well I called to find out how to change my party affilation and they don't know. Will have to speak with their attorney and I will have to call back tomorrow. Head of the republican party doesn't even know I have to go about this.

Banned
    Interesting. I see plenty of concerned former Republicans willing to take the step of abandoning their party over its inability to control illegal immigration. My question: Where are all the Democrats? After all, it is more Dems than Republicans who are killing all the key amendments to this reform bill. Why aren't any of the Dems willing to say that they are leaving their party?

This is what I was talking about in another thread. It appears that the small group of congressmen and congresswomen who are at least somewhat serious about getting this problem under control are mostly Republican. Almost every senator who voted to kill the Isakson amendment had a D by his name. So what do we accomplish if only one side abandons its party? We get a new majority of those who will ramrod illegal immigration down our throats and reward the La Raza mob with our tax dollars. That's why I'm saying that we MUST NOT make this a partisan issue. If the Democrats whose elected representatives are selling us down the river are not willing to follow suit, then those Republicans pledging to leave their party may be commended for a grand gesture, but ultimately it's akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face.

What it comes down to is this: We are either all in this together, which means that BOTH sides write off their parties and give an independent ticket a serious chance at winning pivotal victories, or else the whole thing comes off as a partisan bushwhack and we end up MUCH worse off than we were before. Do we really want to replace all the Hutchisons with Kennedys? Do you guys in California want to replace Schwarzenegger with a Villaraigosa? If only one party's membership drops out, that's what you'll have.

Why not vote smart and reward those politicians who are doing their jobs while punishing EACH AND EVERY politician who is selling us out, regardless of political stripe? If that's not what we're willing to do, then I'm afraid that I will have to agree with those who complain that the anti-illegal immigration movement is becoming every bit as co-opted by the Left as the pro-illegal immigration movement is by neo-Communists and other anti-Americans forces.

Quote Originally Posted by CrocketsGhost
    Interesting. I see plenty of concerned former Republicans willing to take the step of abandoning their party over its inability to control illegal immigration. My question: Where are all the Democrats? After all, it is more Dems than Republicans who are killing all the key amendments to this reform bill. Why aren't any of the Dems willing to say that they are leaving their party?

This is what I was talking about in another thread. It appears that the small group of congressmen and congresswomen who are at least somewhat serious about getting this problem under control are mostly Republican. Almost every senator who voted to kill the Isakson amendment had a D by his name. So what do we accomplish if only one side abandons its party? We get a new majority of those who will ramrod illegal immigration down our throats and reward the La Raza mob with our tax dollars. That's why I'm saying that we MUST NOT make this a partisan issue. If the Democrats whose elected representatives are selling us down the river are not willing to follow suit, then those Republicans pledging to leave their party may be commended for a grand gesture, but ultimately it's akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face.

What it comes down to is this: We are either all in this together, which means that BOTH sides write off their parties and give an independent ticket a serious chance at winning pivotal victories, or else the whole thing comes off as a partisan bushwhack and we end up MUCH worse off than we were before. Do we really want to replace all the Hutchisons with Kennedys? Do you guys in California want to replace Schwarzenegger with a Villaraigosa? If only one party's membership drops out, that's what you'll have.

Why not vote smart and reward those politicians who are doing their jobs while punishing EACH AND EVERY politician who is selling us out, regardless of political stripe? If that's not what we're willing to do, then I'm afraid that I will have to agree with those who complain that the anti-illegal immigration movement is becoming every bit as co-opted by the Left as the pro-illegal immigration movement is by neo-Communists and other anti-Americans forces.
    Good points. Makes me think.
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Re: Quitting The Republican Party

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust
    I no longer want to be affiliated with the republican party, I am changing to the independent party.
    Thats what I intend to do. But, I dont think the state of MD allows Independent or Constitution parties. I've checked, but as usual, they have a person who cant understand english, so I will have to go to DMV. The problem with that is ALL THEIR LINES ARE WRAPPED AROUND THE BLDG FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS GETTING LISCENSES.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Again, here is the list that voted against the Isakson amendment that would have held off any action on citizenship until the borders were certified as secure:

Akaka (D-HI)
    Baucus (D-MT)
    Bayh (D-IN)
    Bennett (R-UT)
    Biden (D-DE)
    Bingaman (D-NM)
    Boxer (D-CA)
    Brownback (R-KS)
    Cantwell (D-WA)
    Carper (D-DE)
    Chafee (R-RI)
    Clinton (D-NY)
    Coleman (R-MN)
    Collins (R-ME)
    Craig (R-ID)
    Dayton (D-MN)
    DeWine (R-OH)
    Dodd (D-CT)
    Durbin (D-IL)
    Feingold (D-WI)
    Feinstein (D-CA)
    Graham (R-SC)
    Hagel (R-NE)
    Harkin (D-IA)
    Inouye (D-HI)
    Jeffords (I-VT)
    Johnson (D-SD)
    Kennedy (D-MA)
    Kerry (D-MA)
    Kohl (D-WI)
    Lautenberg (D-NJ)
    Leahy (D-VT)
    Levin (D-MI)
    Lieberman (D-CT)
    Lincoln (D-AR)
    Lugar (R-IN)
    Martinez (R-FL)
    Menendez (D-NJ)
    Mikulski (D-MD)
    Murkowski (R-AK)
    Murray (D-WA)
    Nelson (D-FL)
    Obama (D-IL)
    Pryor (D-AR)
    Reed (D-RI)
    Reid (D-NV)
    Salazar (D-CO)
    Sarbanes (D-MD)
    Schumer (D-NY)
    Shelby (R-AL)
    Snowe (R-ME)
    Specter (R-PA)
    Stevens (R-AK)
    Voinovich (R-OH)
    Warner (R-VA)

By my count, that's 36 Ds to only 17 Rs (plus Jeffords, the single I) who voted down this key amendment. That's a better than 2:1 margin of Dems to Republicans screwing us over on this one. We would be better off trying to indentify and replace four of five of those Ds with the worst voting records on the issue ir who are most vulnerable with Rs or Is who would vote for tough border control, given the margin of the loss on this key issue. Either that, or you Dems out there could start handling up on your own business in the primaries so that the margin is not so one-sided and there is no need to replace twice as many Dems as Republicans.

Banned

Re: Quitting The Republican Party

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust
    I no longer want to be affiliated with the republican party, I am changing to the independent party.
    Thats what I intend to do. But, I dont think the state of MD allows Independent or Constitution parties. I've checked, but as usual, they have a person who cant understand english, so I will have to go to DMV. The problem with that is ALL THEIR LINES ARE WRAPPED AROUND THE BLDG FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS GETTING LISCENSES.
    Changing parties is a meaningless gesture after the primaries, given that voting in your party primary is the only perk membership grants you. If you do quit the party, however, you lose the ability to shape that party's ballot in the future.

IMHO, the best answer is to keep your party affiliation, whether R or D, so that you have a say in who the two juggernauts offer as candidates, then vote against them if they are not the sort of candidates you wanted. There is nothing to keep you from voting against your party in the actual election or from letting your party or pollsters know that you intend to vote for an independent, Democrat, or Mickey Mouse if that's how you want to make your statement.

One last thought:

As I mention above, the Democrats actually have a worse record by far on immigration control. Dem-controlled California is far and away the most illegal-immigrant friendly state in the union, and the California Democrats pioneered many of the tactics now used by other states to eliminate identification requirements so as to assure illegals of the ability to use the services meant for American taxpayers. What sort of message are we sending if millions of Republicans jump ship while Democrats stand pat? Are we not telling them that they are headed in the wrong direction compared to the Dems? What do you think the upshot of that will be? I can damned well tell you that pollsters will say that they were too hard on illegals while the Dems' conciliatory approach held onto their voter base. The GOP will then soften its stance even more in hopes of "keeping up" with the Dems. It's the law of unintended consequences. I urge you to think before you leap!

Sawdust, the Republican party quit you first.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VOATNOW1
    Sawdust, the Republican party quit you first.
    What part of this equation are you guys not getting? Right now on the Senate florr it is the Democrats, not the Republicans, who are gutting every single attempt to bring some sanity into this legislation. Yesterday the Dems killed the Isakson Amendment. Today they killed the Ensign Amendment. That's the DEMOCRATS, not the Republicans who are submarining the efforts to protect Americans. There is ONE Republican right now who is the major problem, and that's George Bush. Guess what? He can't run for President again! In the mean time, there is a Congress full of democrats who can't work hard enough to give your money and mine to the illegal aliens. The Ensign Amendment that they just killed (with only FIVE Dems voting in favor of the amendment) would have protected Social Security by disallowing claims on any deposits made fraudulents (as in the case of using a bogus SSN), but the Dems are so anxious to appease La Raza that they couldn't even go along with that level-headed amendment.

I may be dead wrong here, I bet you though there are more republicans against any amnesty deal then there are democrats against it!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast