Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal aliens will not be able to obtain a secure driver's license under the Real ID Act.
    Then the illegals will simply drive without licenses.

Exactly how is Real ID going to help identify thieves.
    The REAL ID, as you have stated repeatedly, requires common machine readable technology. In other words, it would be easy to obtain a machine that can read the data on the back of the REAL ID. According to Sen. Akaka, that info is unencrypted. This means that anything the government wants to store on the REAL ID is easily and widely accessible to anyone with minimal time and effort. I see one such reader on ebay right now for $50.

Furthermore, all you need to open a credit card account is a name, date of birth, and social security number. You can lease and buy cars. You can get insurance. You can open bank accounts. One could even withdraw the life savings of another from certain banks with this info. This is not hyperbole. The REAL ID stores all necessary information in one place - it is a single point of failure. Losing my REAL ID card provides a one-stop shop for anyone who would want to steal my identity. Because the REAL ID unencrypted, easily accessible, and stores the amount of data it does, identity theft will be greatly assisted by the REAL ID Act. This is irrefutable.

We're in a situation where we need to worry more about the current threats we're facing now. There will be time tomorrow to worry about what may or may not happen 5, 10, or 15 years from now.
    Allowing the government a blank check like this is a very dangerous mentality. This statement ignores all the historical lessons and realities that our founding fathers tried to impress upon us at the founding of this country. Besides, if we just enforced the laws we already have, we would have no need for the REAL ID. Why should we expect more laws will change that? We have a mandate for a border fence, and the government won't build it. Why will the REAL ID change anything?
    "We have decided man doesn't need a backbone any more; to have one is old-fashioned. Someday we're going to slip it back on." - William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    jp wrote:

It is so funny to watch MW ask questions which I have already answered.
    Responding to a question with a unfounded hypothesis, hyperbole, opinion, prediction, ect. does not consitute a factual answer. Intentionally or not, you've avoided the biggest majority of my questions. Furthermore, you've failed to respond to the majority of the facts I've posted too. Based on my observation it would appear as if most of your comments in opposition to Real ID are based on what could be, not what actually is. I mean come on, where do you come up with such stuff as: can't buy medicine for your children, can't work, can't take care of family, etc.? Anyone that has done half their homework knows that a secure driver's license won't stop you from participating in society and living the American dream. As Dr. Phil would say............."let's get real."

By the way, nice fish photograph. Did you make a trip to the coast this past weekend on a little fishing expedition?
    Your questions have been answered in other threads. Not my fualt you have a bad memory.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

MW,

Just how much of my personal information, freedoms and liberties are you willing to place into jeapordy just so that you can obtain a false sense of security?

"As Dr. Phil would say............."let's get real." "

Opra has more weight.

Great response apropos.

MW,

"let's get real."

Perhaps you and others with the same sense of trust should volunteer for the RealId first. Then the rest of us will be able to have a "real" live test model to watch? Just like a cat on a hot tin roof.

jp,

Not to burst any bubbles, but, those red herrings don't look like that after they have been smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by roundabout
    jp,

Not to burst any bubbles, but, those red herrings don't look like that after they have been smoked.
    I wouldn't know, I've never smoked one.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Au contraire, I think you have been smoking all of the red herrings thrown your way!

Quote Originally Posted by roundabout
    Au contraire, I think you have been smoking all of the red herrings thrown your way!
    No, I like my fish broiled or fried. Never smoked.

I am on the fence about the Real ID act. Given the situation we are in I would like to ask someone if they have a better idea to tackle our problems, then let's hear some real plans minus all of the opinions. We need to deal in reality, with facts. Otherwise, all we are is just a bunch of talking heads expressing opinions. You know what they say, ..Opinions are like $@@holes, everyone has one.
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

TexasBorn,

I believe we are doing something right here and right now. We are raising the awareness level in America reguarding illegal immigration. That may sound simplistic or even over played, but I believe this is critical for starts.

After the last amnesty of the 80's under Reagan, the laws that were passed to prevent a future amnesty were never enforced, Americans went back to sleep. It was not that they could not have helped to avoid this situation that we find ourselves in now, they simply were not enforced.

States and local jurisdictions around the country are implementing laws and enforcing laws already on the books to reverse this trend.

Stop turning a blind eye.

Stop catch and release.

Enforcing our border is starting to work. With enough support and monies this could and will do alot.

More workplace enforcement. This is helping and should have been enforced after the 80's amnesty. It was not enforced.

Enforce the laws on the books. Many jurisdictions have laws on the books concerning how many people can live in a residence, rooms for how many adults? They have not been enforced.

Charge those with fake ID's with felony charges as opposed to catch and release. See what happens to you if you start to run around with a fake ID.

Weed your own flower bed. Or pay an American to do it. That mentality stems from greed and total disreguard of our Constitution and is not just a trivial act thriftyness.

Demand that our politicians enforce the laws that are on the books and pay attention to those politicians who are responsible for enforcement.

The RealId is for those who wish to think that this is the magic bullet that will kill the beast. A boondoggle at best, a corruptable system on the other hand.

Why tax me more? Enforce the laws, show some teeth, lip service has gotten old and stale. Or get out of the way, cause here we come.

Others here will be able to add much more.

Privacy
    Many privacy rights advocates charge that by creating a national system electronically storing vast amounts of detailed personal data about individuals, the Real ID Act increases the chance of such data being stolen and thus raises the risk of identity theft. [63] [64] [65] [66] The Bush administration, in the DHS final rule [67] regarding the Real ID Act implementation, counters that the security precautions regarding handling sensitive personal data and hiring DMV workers, that are specified in the Real ID Act and in the DHS final rule, provide sufficient protections against unauthorized use and theft of such personal data (pages 5281-5283 of the DHS final rule in the Federal Register).

Another privacy concern raised by the privacy advocates, such as the Electronic Frontier Foundation, is that the implementation of the Real ID Act will make it substantially easier for the government to track numerous activities of Americans and conduct their surveillance. [68] [69]

Supporters of the Real ID Act, such as a conservative think-tank the Heritage Foundation, reject this criticism and maintain that states will be permitted to share data only when validating someone's identity. [70]

The Data Privacy and Integrity Advisory Committee, which was established to advise the Department of Homeland Security on privacy-related issues, released a statement regarding the Department of Homeland Security's proposed rules for the standardization of state driver licenses on May 7, 2007[71]. The committee stated that "Given that these issues have not received adequate consideration, the Committee feels it is important that the following comments do not constitute an endorsement of REAL ID or the regulations as workable or appropriate," and "The issues pose serious risks to an individual’s privacy and, without amelioration, could undermine the stated goals of the REAL ID Act."
    IT'S NOT HOW YOU GET IN, IT'S HOW YOU GET OUT

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast