Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

JAK
    Cowards probably aren't answering!!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by curiouspat
    Proud wrote:

Yup!

Getting unanswered ringing phones and busy signals!

Good sign and makes me more determined to call till I get through!
    Good, so it isn't just me! Don't you just love the 'redial' button?

I'm getting the same thing, just can't figure out why some are not answering the phones. had a few busy's on the fax but its easier, I jdo a fax while the phone is busy
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

sosad,

I'm getting the same thing, just can't figure out why some are not answering the phones. had a few busy's on the fax but its easier, I jdo a fax while the phone is busy
    Great multitasking!
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

I've sent almost 3 dozen faxes today while I am calling.

Keep it up ALL DAY TODAY, TOMORROW, THIS WEEKEND AND MONDAY!!!

Blast this to everyone.

A sleeping giant is awakening! Let them suffer our full wraith!

Update:

Stevens - no answer
    Thomas - voice mail
    Sanders - undecided. I put my 2 cents in.
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a burglar an uninvited house guest."

I have been faxing all day. I've also been sending emails to the staffs of the senators advising them if their senator votes for this amnesty, they will be looking for a new job come next election. I also let them know their bosses were elected to represent US citizens, not citizens of foreign countries.
    To stand in silence when they should be protesting makes cowards out of men. Abraham Lincoln

JAK
    Quote Originally Posted by portaltotx
    I have been faxing all day. I've also been sending emails to the staffs of the senators advising them if their senator votes for this amnesty, they will be looking for a new job come next election. I also let them know their bosses were elected to represent US citizens, not citizens of foreign countries.
    Same here...also including the questions at the beginning of this thread...also including that all they have to do is look at California to see that eventually they will be replaced, as they are voting in their own, so they will lose in the long run, but if they vote amnesty...they will lose in the short run too. I won't vote for anyone who votes for amnesty!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Coleman - "undecided"
    Collins - against amnesty but no official statement on their position
    Craig - against blanket amnesty but supports agricultural workers. We don't have enough people to pick the crops.
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a burglar an uninvited house guest."

I told craig's office to put the damn ag workers in a diffierent bill but he better not vote for amnesty.

I told colemans office he better decide soon as time is running out and the Rep are about to destroy themselves for good!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Here is an email reply I just received from Durbin:

---------------------------------------------
    Dear ____

Thank you for your message regarding immigration reform. I appreciate hearing from you.

Our nation faces a host of problems as a result of decades of inattention to our immigration policies. There is plenty of blame to go around for the breakdown of our immigration system, but it is clear that the federal government must act to fix it. I have seen the pressing economic concerns that face America's workers and taxpayers as a result of illegal immigration. Congress must act to reform our immigration system comprehensively, and we must do so in a way that is tough but fair and consistent with our moral values.

There are a number of important steps we must take as part of this reform. We must strengthen the integrity of America's borders through the use of advanced detection technology, increased manpower and resources for our Border Patrol, targeted border fencing, and the prosecution of illegal smuggling networks. We must devote significant additional resources to our immigration enforcement agencies, which are overwhelmed and underfunded. We must create an electronic verification system that will rapidly inform employers as well as enforcement agencies of whether a prospective employee is authorized to work in this country. And we must hold employers accountable when they hire unauthorized immigrants, in order to eliminate the incentive for employers to hire undocumented workers and for foreigners to migrate illegally.

Along with these strong enforcement steps, immigration reform must address the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants who already live in the United States. Illegal immigrants have, by definition, broken our nation's immigration laws, and they must be penalized for having done so. However, as the President has said, mass deportation is not a realistic option. Immigration enforcement agencies work hard every day, prioritizing the pursuit of immigrants who are violent criminals, gang members, or security threats. These enforcement agencies must be given more resources, but even so it is simply not feasible to round up and deport the entire undocumented population.

While many categories of undocumented immigrants must be and will continue to be prioritized for deportation, American workers will benefit if we give certain immigrants the chance to earn legal status. Undocumented immigrants are currently working in many industries for lower wages than American workers have received. Frequently, these immigrants work off the books completely, with neither the employer nor the employee paying taxes. This underground economy has had a negative impact on American workers, particularly in industries such as construction, landscaping, and manufacturing. It is urgent that we protect American workers from unfair competition in these situations.

Because it is not feasible for all undocumented workers to be deported, we are faced with the choice of either leaving the remaining immigrants in the underground economy or giving them an opportunity to earn legal status. Given this choice, the better approach is to bring the remaining immigrants out of the shadows and allow those with appropriate qualifications to obtain legal status if they pay fines, pay any back taxes they owe, have no criminal record, learn English, and go to the back of the line behind legal immigration applicants. If they obtain legal status, these immigrants will be governed by wage and labor laws so that employers will no longer have an incentive to pass over American job seekers in favor of lower-earning and easily-exploited immigrants. This will help end the black market of illegal labor that hurts American workers, and the monies paid in by these immigrants will ease the burden on America's taxpayers.

I voted in favor of S. 2611, the immigration reform bill that passed the Senate in 2006. This bill offered a comprehensive framework to enhance border security and enforcement, to create an employment verification system, and to address the current undocumented population. While the bill was far from perfect, it would have represented a significant improvement over the status quo. While the bill passed the Senate, it did not pass the House and did not become law. As the 110th Congress considers new legislation, I will continue to support a comprehensive approach to immigration reform.

Numerous amendments were considered during the Senate's debate on S. 2611. My votes on these amendments were guided by two main principles. First, I am concerned about the potential impact of proposed temporary guestworker programs on the American workforce. In contrast to those immigrants who are already here and actively engaged in our workforce, guestworker programs would bring in a large future flow of immigrant workers. In many industries, the assured availability of large pools of foreign guestworkers will give employers an incentive to pass over future American job applicants in favor of foreigners willing to work for less pay and benefits. Consequently, I supported amendments to eliminate or restrict guestworker programs in the bill.

Second, I supported amendments that sought to treat in a humanitarian fashion those immigrants who achieve legal status. I voted against amendments seeking to impose continuing penalties on immigrants after they have paid their dues and obtained legalized status under the bill. I also voted for amendments that ensured legal protections for asylum applicants and other vulnerable immigrant populations. We can secure our borders, protect our workers, and still accept for humanitarian reasons those who may lose their life or freedom if we turn our backs on them.

There is no perfect solution to the problems we face as a result of our broken immigration system. I recognize that the immigration debate has created strong opinions on all sides, and I appreciate your sharing your views with me. I am working in good faith to pursue a balanced package of reforms that will protect American workers and that will be tough but enforceable, economically sensible, and morally fair. I will keep your views in mind as I continue to work toward those goals.

Sincerely,

Richard J. Durbin

United States Senator

RJD/jk

Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast