Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Now to say that Spanish should not be spoken in this country is a racist statement.
    I don't see this as racist. I also don't believe many are saying no to Spanish at all. I think some are just tired of having it shoved at us. I don't believe the average American really has a need to know anything other than English.

Indigenous people in this country at the time were of Latin decent. Most spoke Spanish..... we all learned this in History.....
    You need to double check your history books. I've seen several theories as to where the indigenous people came from but none have said they came from latin countries. None of the indigenous people of North America spoke Spanish. There were dozens of tribes and cultures speaking dozens of languages but none spoke Spanish. Mexican and Central American settlers probably encountered Nahuatl languages and New England/East Coast settlers probably encountered Algic or Iroquoian languages.

Quote Originally Posted by gusgriswald
    They are always talking about Lou Dobbs and people that are at the forefront of the anti-illegal debate. They have this news guy Jorge Ramos
    Is this the Jorge Ramos to whom you refer?

http://www.vdare.com/awall/ramos.htm

If so, he really is a piece of work.

Linda, I would submit to you that for the US to declare English as its official language is no more "racist" than for any Latin American country to declare Spanish as its official language or any other country to have an official language for that matter.

Yes, it is good for individual people to learn a second (or third) language. The choice of that language should be up to them. What is going on is that Hispanic activists have as their agenda the goal to turn the US into a bilingual English/Spanish society.

Declaring English as an official language does not mean that anyone is prohibited from speaking their native language, but it would mean that all government business would be conducted in English. It would encourage immigrants to learn English and assimilate.

Polls indicate that 90% of Americans are in favor of making English our official language. This has nothing whatsoever to do with racism, but with preserving our historical language and national unity of which having one common unifying language plays an important role.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB2012
    Now to say that Spanish should not be spoken in this country is a racist statement.
    I don't see this as racist. I also don't believe many are saying no to Spanish at all. I think some are just tired of having it shoved at us. I don't believe the average American really has a need to know anything other than English.
    I've had a group of Hispanic people tell me to my face that I should learn Spanish. I quickly informed them that I have learned two other langages and don't desire to speak Spanish.

It is idiotic to "move into" a country and refuse to learn the language and expect to be accommodated.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: STATE OF THE UNION TO BE GIVEN IN ENGLISH AND SPANISH

Quote Originally Posted by WhatMattersMost
    Official response to State of the Union speech to be given in Spanish
    It hasn't been unusual in recent years in the United States for presidential speeches and similar events to be broadcast with a simultaneous translation in Spanish. But tonight, for the first time, an official response to the presidential State of the Union address will be delivered in Spanish. Democratic Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico, one the nation's two officially bilingual states, will give his speech on the Univision network. (The other bilingual state is Hawaii, which recognizes Hawaiian.)

This is an outrage at what point does the pandering stop?
    State of the Union speech should only be given in English
    mkfarnam, thank you so much for ya help. My laptop & windows are working again as it used to be. Thanks to you !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    Indigenous people in this country at the time were of Latin decent. Most spoke Spanish..... we all learned this in History.....
    Linda,

This has been disproved with DNA of the oldest bones found in the Americas, including Mexico. They are Caucasionoid and Asian, not just Indian.

No one alive today can say that the indegenous peopl are Latin because science has disproved that assumption.

Some of the oldest human remains from America.

"Spirit Cave Man" about 9,400 years old
    Kennewick Man 9,200 years old
    "Wizards Beach Man" 9225 years old

How about Arlington Springs Woman, she's about 13,000 years old and she seems to have come from Asia.

I really want them to explain the 13,000 year old Caucasionoids female called "Peñon Woman III", which is in Mexico City at the National Museum.

Looks like everybody beat the South Americans to North America.

Dixie
    what does the 13,000 year old caucasonoid woman has to do with illegal immigration?

what does the arrival time of south american ancestors have to do with illegal immigration?

OOPs...sorry

Just cleaning up your disinformation Reconquista campaign. I wouldn't want you to go through life misinformed. You have expressed an interst in history so I'm making sure you get it right.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    Just cleaning up your disinformation Reconquista campaign. I wouldn't want you to go through life misinformed. You have expressed an interst in history so I'm making sure you get it right.

Dixie
    I have no reconquista agenda!
    What are you smoking?

You have me mistaken for someone else Dixie.

No.

Dixie

Univision has been broadcasting SOU, and other presidential speeches in spanish for years, they follow politics here and are doing nothing illegal. I watched the spanish news stations and listened to some spanish talk shows during the rallies here in Housotn, and they were not all saying that it was right for them to do that. The vast majority were against it, saying that it did not help the cause. Now the news may always be aimed at Hispanic audineces, that is the business. I am a broadcast journalism student and that is buisness you give news that appeals to your audience. Rating periods help stations know who watches the news and what areas of town...helps them decide what is "news worthy" is this right or ethical I dont know. THe fact is that all staions do that, because at the end of the day it is a business.

Jorge Ramos, yes may be for immigrants and ver strong advocate, but he is a incredible reporter/anchor. I have admired him for years, met him twice. And although I might not agree with everything he says, he is a great reporter. Has been in the business for years and came here with out a dime in his pocket. That is why he is so passionate about the issue. What people have lived defines what they will defend. He lived the immigrant dream, he reports on the stories of poor immigrants that is what he sees that is what he defends.

People here see that bad in immigrants and the bad it brings for this country that is what you defend. It's part of being American (he is American)

when confronted with issues like this and different opinions I always like this quote bye G. Norman Collie
    "In free countries, every man is entitled to express his opions and every other man is entitled not to listen"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast