Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Arecely, there is nothing wrong with reporting the news. Translating a speech so that people in foreign countries can understand it is fine; we could not understand newsworthy statements made by foreign leaders in a foreign language if they were not translated for us; that is perfectly legitimate.

The problem here was that this was not simply a "translation" of the same Democratic response given to English speakers in the US. It was a completely different response targeted specifically towards Hispanic voters in this country. It was not simply a translation, but a speech delivered directly to Hispanics, separate from the one delivered to English speakers. In order to vote in the US you must be a citizen. In order to be a citizen you must demonstrate a certain proficiency in English. Why then, is there a need for a Democratic representative to deliver a completely separate Democratic response IN SPANISH?? We are becoming a bilingual society, linguistically balkanized. This never happened before the large influx of illegals from Latin America. Notice that there were no Democratic responses delivered in any other language other than Spanish. Why is that? Not that I am saying there should be.

As to Jorge Ramos, excuse me if I find his glee at the "Latinization" of the US to be somewhat offensive. How would he feel if one of our prominent news personalities wrote a book and went around boasting about how we were "taking back" Mexico? I'll bet he/she wouldn't be so popular in Mexico. Please read this link carefully: http://www.vdare.com/awall/ramos.htm

Again, it is not immigrants we have a problem with, but illegal immigrants who come here and do not assimilate and have an agenda of making this a bicultural, bilingual nation. Immigrants who come legally, learn the language, respect our country and its laws, do not take public benefits, are indeed a positive contribution to our country and are welcomed.

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    Aracely, I agree with noyoucannot 100%, I witness it where I live daily.

We have one of the kids here, a boy about my sons age, real nice kid. He is trying so hard to "be an American", he likes the Beatles, want to speak only English, hangs around with my son, and everyone here calls him a "coconut". He told us that all the others here think being an American is bad.

I would never ask a new legal immigrant to come here and forget totally about their culture and their mother tongue, what I do ask is they respect our culture, be part of it, learn our lagnuage. Millions before them have done it, and have become Americans, and yet their families culture has slowly become a part of this countries culture, and their families ways have become a wonderful mix of what was already here, and what they brought with them.

This is what people here ask. This is what integration is. The idea of political groups pandering to the non-English speaking living in this country, and specifically only the Spanish speaking, is very wrong, it smacks of a form of racism, and pandering for votes, from what appears to be a group who cannot legally vote anyways.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

AmericanElizabeth I think you had a very respectful way of voicing your opinion. Yes, those of us who are Latin who have come here "the legal way" and have adapted to life and live speaking primarily English love being here and are proud to be Americans as well as proud to be Latin. It is nice to hear you are open minded enough to allow a friendship between the kids.

I feel that people like Dixie think that Latin people do not belong here the right way or not. I felt that Dixie's statement referring to my historical facts as being a "disinformation Reconquista campaign" was a mean and a racially motivated statement. Is it not???? This is why I had stated in my previous post that some of the things said have a racial tone to it. Statements do not have to be direct in order to be considered racial.

My historical reference was not pointing towards cavemen or neanderthals. I was speaking of the time when the Spainards from Spain and the English from England came to America in ships. No disrespect Dixie but there is alot of history between your skulls and the days of government control when these tribes were attacked and laws came into play. Native American Indians were here in North America. This is a fact as I live in Connecticut and have had the pleasure of reading research gathered from the Native American tribes in our area who have claimed back their land. The government would not have given them back their land if there was not legal claim to it. Please do not be so narrowminded. Yes we all migrated from somewhere to the North American contenant but I disagree that caucasians were the primary race.... sorry if you feel I am incorrect. This is a debate and feel free to agree to disagree.

I love being here.... I am not illegal. I will speak my native tounge to my family, friends and elders because it is a Spanish custom to use the Spanish language to those who speak Spanish because it is proper and respectful. I would never want to force anyone to speak Spanish but I find that work comes easier to those who can communicate in Spanish and English in places like New York, Chicago, Miami and parts of California and Texas. I know Chinese people who speak Spanish better than me. Its not about what is the Official Language of the USA. Its about how to communicate to a group of people who might otherwise not understand the plight of the American people. We need to get the word out in whatever language necessary. The Superbowl is broadcast and commentated in different languages and has been for a very long time before this debate.......is that wrong too????

[/b]

Banned
    hi
    my name is greg my family lives in ohio
    we just got a year book app. for my kids it was in spanish we dont have any spanish families in our school
    i gave it to the dog for review.
    we dont need to press 2 for our state of the union adress
    if you dont know english you dont have a need to hear
    issues in our counrtry from our pres on any given night are for the citizens
    isnt the first rule learn the languge

You are absolutely correct in saying that ... it is true as a citizen it states you must know English.

I think there is something wrong in your child's school if they are creating forms in Spanish when there are no Spanish speaking children in the school. Very odd..... strange indeed.

Linda it is true becuase to become a citizen you are required to pass an English test.

Greg,

It's a pretty old principle. "When in Rome do as the Romans". Spanish speakers are rude and insulting to Americans. If they don't learn English then they can leave. I have no use for anyone brash enough to tell me I'm going to learn Spanish because this is the Asstan nation.

I think it is rude for employees to carry on personal conversations in Spanish in front of customers. I've had that happen before. Seriously, while I was waiting to be checked out, I've heard "come over to the house tonight, we are having a party. Going to have a lot of beer, ______ and _______."

That was one of the more pleasant personal conversations that I've overheard. I understand more Spanish than I can speak. I picked it up from exposure.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    Linda it is true becuase to become a citizen you are required to pass an English test.

Greg,

It's a pretty old principle. "When in Rome do as the Romans". Spanish speakers are rude and insulting to Americans. If they don't learn English then they can leave. I have no use for anyone brash enough to tell me I'm going to learn Spanish because this is the Asstan nation.

I think it is rude for employees to carry on personal conversations in Spanish in front of customers. I've had that happen before. Seriously, while I was waiting to be checked out, I've heard "come over to the house tonight, we are having a party. Going to have a lot of beer, ______ and _______."

That was one of the more pleasant personal conversations that I've overheard. I understand more Spanish than I can speak. I picked it up from exposure.

Dixie
    da bears bet the big game sunday is in english ONLY !!!

Quote Originally Posted by GREGAGREATAMERICAN
    hi
    my name is greg my family lives in ohio
    we just got a year book app. for my kids it was in spanish we dont have any spanish families in our school
    i gave it to the dog for review.
    we dont need to press 2 for our state of the union adress
    if you dont know english you dont have a need to hear
    issues in our counrtry from our pres on any given night are for the citizens
    Welcome Greg. I am in Cincinnati.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Banned
    NEW GUY SORRY IM LEARNING , THE SCHOOL PERSAY DIDNT DO IT
    IT WAS THE PHOTO COPANY thats the schoos fault for not checking out the company
    i guess since they are nation wide the must do it i dont know but its
    bs wit a capital T

Dixie....please refran from your racial grouping. Not all Spanish speakers are rude or disrespectful to English speakers. Its wrong to group us all together. What is this new slur you have brought to the convo ASSTAN? I can not imagine its a good word. You come off ignorant ... Talk about rude?!

O and BTW the Superbowl will be broadcast in different languages all over the world as they do annually.....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast