Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by Hosay
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFomorian

Since you failed to answer my question, I'll lay it down for you.
    The "proper foundation of the country" lies in the millions of African slaves that made cotton king in the antebellum south. It lies in the hard work of the Chinese that built the railroads that made this country an industrial powerhouse. It lies in the hearts of the Tejanos that fought against Mexico. And there are many other I didn't mention because of space.

This "default" attitude is deadly for our cause. You know it but out of privledge or pride you can't bring yourself to the fact.
    When you wake up, I just hope it's not too late!

Now is the time I should call it a day.
    Fomorian, are you 16 years old?

You can build railroads and plant cotton and be heroic in battle, but it doesn't get your country very far unless the systems of government and economic activity can effectively harness those accomplishments.

The African slaves, Chinese, and Tejanos were working within a system that has its origins in Great Britain. Any person of any race or culture can become a part of that system. That is why the United States has been able to absorb so many immigrants in the past.

The danger of the current tidal wave of MOD EDIT immigration is that many of these people, in their ignorance and wrongheadedness, want to turn the U.S. into a version of the countries from which they are fleeing. They are bringing the lawlessness, failure, corruption and chaos with them.
    Hosay, are you an illegal alien?

I feel like Lou Dobbs trying to tell a guest on his show about the difference between illegal and legal.

I know you didn't really read my response because you're on a whole different tangent. I was referring to the underlined portion. You know, the whole, "proper culture", statement.

I'm an very strong American of African roots and I reject European culture. I embrace American culture, which is derived (in my scope of observation) from Africa, because that's what I choose to value.

Who governed and who was president and everything else to stroke the ego of people with your view is besides the point.
    I freed thousands of slaves; I could have freed more if they knew they were slaves.
    --Harriet Tubman

I feel like Lou Dobbs trying to tell a guest on his show about the difference between illegal and legal.

I know you didn't really read my response because you're on a whole different tangent. I was referring to the underlined portion. You know, the whole, "proper culture", statement.

I'm an very strong American of African roots and I reject European culture. I embrace American culture, which is derived (in my scope of observation) from Africa, because that's what I choose to value.

Who governed and who was president and everything else to stroke the ego of people with your view is besides the point.
    What is your scope of observation? Our nation's culture is derived far more from Europe than from any other continent. We are a huge part of Western Civilization. I respect anyone of any race who will embrace Western Civilization and be a part of our nation. Everything from freedom, to individualism, to our economy, to democracy, to our religion, to our language started in Europe. Its where the industrial Revolution started. Where the Scientific Revolution began. Where the Enlightenment and the Reformation happened. Almost every major aspect of our culture derived from Europe. Hardly something to "reject."
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow all the rules for designing effective letters, brochures, ads, etc.
    By Brad Tonkin

This module should be completed after completing… Supercharge your letters, advertisements & marketing campaigns and Follow the rules for writing 'compelling' copy’. All three of these modules will help you produce more interesting, more compelling and more profitable letters, brochures and advertisements.

The key word in the headline above, is ‘effective’.

Too many letters, brochures and advertisements (press, radio and television), are designed to be aesthetically or audibly pleasing, BEFORE they are designed to be effective. It’s an expensive mistake because it’s the copy that does most of the selling - not the design.

The following checklist will help you increase the effectiveness of your next campaign.

Your 5 Point Checklist for Ensuring Your Typesetting, Layout, Design and/or Soundtrack Will EFFECTIVELY COMMUNICATE YOUR MESSAGE... and Get You Results!

1. Choose your type style wisely

§ Black text on a white background is the easiest to read and brings the best results.

§ For ‘headlines’ and ‘sub-headlines’, I prefer to use a bold ‘Sans Serif’ typeface (without the little feet at the bottom) like this Arial typeface in preference to a ‘Serif’ typeface (with little feet at the bottom) like this ‘Times Roman’ typeface. Bold, Sans Serif typefaces get attention!
    § For ‘body copy’ and ‘captions’, the only choice is a ‘Serif’ typeface like ‘Times Roman’. These have proven to be the most readable and are therefore used by 99% of all newspapers, magazines and book publishers.

§ The appropriate type size for a ‘headline’ will depend on the size of the letter, brochure or advertisement in which it appears. Most important - if the headline is intended to be the first thing to attract your prospect’s eye, it must do its job successfully. This usually means being about double the size of the body copy.

§ The appropriate type size for ‘body copy’ and ‘captions’ is usually between ‘8 point’ and ‘14 point’. If it’s any smaller or bigger, it’ll be too difficult to read and you’ll lose sales. ‘10 point’ to ‘12 point’ is usually the standard for most typed communication.

§ The appropriate type size for ‘sub-headlines’ falls somewhere between your chosen sizes for headline and body copy. A couple of point sizes larger than the body copy, usually works best (especially if emboldened).

2. Embellish for emphasis!

§ Use italics, boldness, CAPITALS and underlining (even by hand) or a COMBINATION of these techniques to draw attention to key words, phrases, sentences or paragraphs... But use them sparingly.

§ Write or print hand-written notes in the margins to get an important point across.

§ Use cross-outs with adjacent, hand written comments for attention.

§ Use a highlighter pen or overprint with highlighter pen ink colour to highlight important points.

§ Use ‘drop-initials’ at the beginning of your body copy (just like the newspapers do) because they increase readership.

§ Use ‘asterisks’ *, ‘check boxes’ q, ‘bullets’ l, or ‘numbers’ 1,2,3 for listing unrelated points (like these!) in preference to rambling unconnected text.

§ Use ‘reversals’ ONLY when it improves the ‘attention getting qualities’ of a headline among competing advertisements and text (like in a magazine or newspaper).

§ Use three ‘full stops’ like ... (as used in the headline for this 5 point checklist) for accentuation, connectivity and fluidity of reading.

§ Use different fonts and font sizes to accentuate a point.

§ Use photos with captions. There are very few situations when a photo won’t add interest, educate or help get attention. And remember, 4 times as many people read captions, as read body copy. (Refer back to the section on photos, page 266in this program).

§ Indent and/or centre important sentences or
    paragraphs for effect or emphasis!

§ Use (brackets) for accentuation.

§ Use ‘quotation marks’ (either “ â€

Quote Originally Posted by BearFlagRepublic

What is your scope of observation? Our nation's culture is derived far more from Europe than from any other continent. We are a huge part of Western Civilization. I respect anyone of any race who will embrace Western Civilization and be a part of our nation. Everything from freedom, to individualism, to our economy, to democracy, to our religion, to our language started in Europe. Its where the industrial Revolution started. Where the Scientific Revolution began. Where the Enlightenment and the Reformation happened. Almost every major aspect of our culture derived from Europe. Hardly something to "reject."
    Well BFR,
    When you say our culture, I know your are not on the same page.
    Other than speaking English in public, I don't see how you came to your conclusions.
    Take a closer look:
    Having my wife lock my hair while we listen to jazz. The children eating dinner, fingers sticky with fufu, making jokes in Igbo and Yoruba. On sundays we go to a Christian church, let's not forget Christianity was practiced in Africa long before Europe. On December 26 we celebrate Kwanzaa, not because of the age of the holiday, but because it is positive and African American.
    My children study math, African diasporic Literature, African diasporic history. And at the same time, I can stand up and say I and my family are 100% American.
    I freed thousands of slaves; I could have freed more if they knew they were slaves.
    --Harriet Tubman

Technology is not culture to me, but a tool to propagate, preserve and disseminate your culture. I have satellite and I keep it on ABN. God knows I didn't invent the satellite but I use it for my enjoyment.

TheFomorian,
    I think you touched on something of great interest for African Americans to see while they jump on board in the fight against illegal immigration.

Fomorian wrote:

Well BFR,
    Other than speaking English in public, I don't see how you came to your conclusions.
    Take a closer look:
    Having my wife lock my hair while we listen to jazz. The children eating dinner, fingers sticky with fufu, making jokes in Igbo and Yoruba. On sundays we go to a Christian church, let's not forget Christianity was practiced in Africa long before Europe. On December 26 we celebrate Kwanzaa, not because of the age of the holiday, but because it is positive and African American.
    My children study math, African diasporic Literature, African diasporic history. And at the same time, I can stand up and say I and my family are 100% American.
    Forgive my observation (and certainly you will take issue with it because our races differ) but I'd much prefer you recognize the considerable emphasis you place on your black culture and see it for what it is. While you are most welcome to pride yourself in your ethnic heritage (as is any Americans right), once you identify yourself exclusively with it you set yourself apart from those around you. Identifying yourself herein as African American (with or without the hyphen) and then in the same breath proclaiming to be 100% American seems to me to be a bit convoluted. I am American....not Anglo Saxon Protestant Scotch Irish American, although I am proud of my heritage. I live in America, not Little Scotland, Little Ireland, or Chinatown, or Mexifornia. Let's not pick one another apart here and hyphenate our heritage. Let's join together as one America, oust the invaders, and instead of propogating the future from the mistakes of the past, begin anew in unison and in hope.

What I'm trying to say so desperately is that we are not enemies, nor are we elevated one above the other by race, gender, or education. Equal rights is a concept I embrace and espouse, but you can't point out your differences (eloquently or not) and expect the focus to be on your similarities. Colorblindness is the center of a world I long for, and it is one that will be achieved only after all peoples stop demanding it and simply let it be...

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod
    Technology is not culture to me, but a tool to propagate, preserve and disseminate your culture. I have satellite and I keep it on ABN. God knows I didn't invent the satellite but I use it for my enjoyment.

TheFomorian,
    I think you touched on something of great interest for African Americans to see while they jump on board in the fight against illegal immigration.
    Check out this channel:
    http://www.theafricachannel.com/

I've been bugging my cable company for months and they will offer this
    in a few months.
    --Harriet Tubman

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    Tiredofapathy......thank you. Well put. We are here to fight illegal immigration, not each other on who's ethnic roots might be more important or more pertinent than the others (which really none are)/

I have American roots, ethnically I am an American and culturally I am an American. This in fighting among ethnic groups in Iraq, Africa and other places is the one reason they have not succeeded as we have here.

Let's not go into reverse and go down the roads they are going, let's keep going forward in this country, otherwise, we start bickering and the elites have won and may gain control while we argue.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by tiredofapathy
    Fomorian wrote:

Well BFR,
    Take a closer look:
    Forgive my observation (and certainly you will take issue with it because our races differ) but I'd much prefer you recognize the considerable emphasis you place on your black culture and see it for what it is. While you are most welcome to pride yourself in your ethnic heritage (as is any Americans right), once you identify yourself exclusively with it you set yourself apart from those around you. Identifying yourself herein as African American (with or without the hyphen) and then in the same breathe proclaiming to be 100% American seems to me to be a bit convoluted. I am American....not Anglo Saxon Protestant Scotch Irish American, although I am proud of my heritage. I live in America, not Little Scotland, Little Ireland, or Chinatown, or Mexifornia. Let's not pick one another apart here and hyphenate our heritage. Let's join together as one America, oust the invaders, and instead of propogating the future from the mistakes of the past, begin anew in unison and in hope.

What I'm trying to say so desperately is that we are not enemies, nor are we elevated one above the other by race, gender, or education. Equal rights is a concept I embrace and espouse, but you can't point out your differences (eloquently or not) and expect the focus to be on your similarities. Colorblindness is the center of a world I long for, and it is one that will be achieved only after all peoples stop demanding it and simply let it be...
    I will not take issue with your post because you have spoken the truth, except for one point.
    I want to make it very clear that this discussion was about culture and not race. I am not your enemy but at the same time I am not your subject either. Europeans don't need my validation and I don't need theirs as to what culture we choose. But in the end we can both claim to be American.
    As for using the term African American, I use that as sort of a quick out of pocket illustrative term and not as definitive statement in and of itself. You are right though, I need to stop using that word.
    --Harriet Tubman

Dyehard fair enough, but like I said you should realize the consequences of what you are doing-at least digitally-if you are not doing it on purpose. Read what you bolded only and see what I am saying, also check out those links.

Here in Seattle we have more than a dozen extrememly far left extremist groups. Their members have slowly and sliently made their way into public office. Most Seattle folk view them as silly hot air, or just angry passive agressives, but they have a very significant power structure and are connected to very many digital movements. During the WTO riots the various groups had a well planned and coordinated attack. Altogether it is estimated that nearly $1.8 million dollars was spent in organizing protests and groups. Many of these groups have instigators and rioteers that use anything they get their hands on, including digital resources. They employ levels of instigation that range from slander to actual terrorism. From petty to sociopathic.

When our regional disaster preparedness website went up, on the section for dealing with terrorism they only showed pictures of the OK city bombing and wouldn't make any mention of 9-11 or AL-Qeada. In fact to this day they have removed terrorism and defer the title to Homeland Security Information. I know this may sound tiny, but its really part of what they do. They go larger than the problem and then thru negotiation get their true desires...Which in this case was to remove mentions of terrorism and al-qeada from their website. In fact to this day the leftists here only concede that the OK City bombing was the only terrorism that is truly terrorism. Sorry for the diversion...but I think it fits the topic...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast