Page 158 of 830 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168208258658 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 8292
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 12 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 12 guests)

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    Lots of great info, the fire in a hole on we learned but it would not work all the time here, our ground gets too wet. We were taught that one as a camping thing on how to cook something effectively, and using the least amount of firewood, and it does work great for that, you can contain the heat and it is focused directly on the food you are cooking, no loss to the open air. My favorite outdoor skill was taught to me by one of my older brothers, and the purpose was actually making forts. Lean-to's....He taught my friend and I how to make them, and some we would get them to be four sided, with a small opening in the center, sided with layers of sticks, fir branches, ferns and cedar boughs all around, then a small opening left to crawl into, the opening in the center, with a pit dug directly under it for a fire (rocks built up for safety in a ring around it too), two pre-teen girls, and we could make a lean-to that was so cammo, it was hard to see and was actually pretty rain and cold air resistant, of course this involved "camping out" in it too, until we heard something, or someone walking around us in the dark and we took off up the hill towards our safe yards......
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    EASTCOAST PREPPER GARAGE SALE TREASURES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AVeP...eature=related

Mar 1, 2011
    I watched a video last week by Eastcoastprepper and he said to check out garage sells for good deals. Well I took his advice and I was shocked. I purchased a lot more items that I may post in a second video.

clamps -$6.00
    knives-$3.00
    sander/buffer combo-$40.00
    miter chop saw-$40.00
    grade 8 bolts-$20.00
    router table-$5.00
    Total=$114.00
    I could have bought a small box of grade 8 bolts for that same price.
    They run about 1 dollar a piece.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why are there so Few Black Preppers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFswM...eature=related

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 03:03 AM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Engineers Without Borders- Cooker Challenge

Engineers Without Borders- Cooker Challenge - YouTube

Most Recent Homesteading Articles

6 Ways to Get Your Kale On!

Kale is a nutritional power house! Learn 6 different ways to incorporate kale into your diet, learn why every prepper and gardener should grow this leafy green, and why adding this veggie to your family’s grocery list is a must. It’s time to get your kale on!

Uses for Cat Litter in a Prepper World
    Cat litter has some very practical uses in the prepper world and may come in handy in emergency situations. Read these tips on ways to incorporate cat litter into your preps to help protect, reduce odors, stains, and help your garden grow.

Hot Apple Cider Recipe
    What’s better than a warm mug of apple cider? It’s time to take advantage of the apple harvest and sip on something warm during the cold months.

8 Old-Time Solutions to Modern Domestic Problems
    There’s no need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to cleaning. Here are eight fast and thrifty solutions your grandma probably figured out long ago.

Tess’s Tomato Basil Soup
    My all time favorite soup to make (and it happens to be the simplist) is a rich and creamy tomato soup that incorporates fresh basil.

Hunting Skills: A Necessity for Emergency Preparedness
    Learning several different hunting techniques using only items that you would find in nature or have in your survival gear will give you one more advantage when it comes to emergency preparedness.

Soap Nuts, Who Knew?
    Soap nuts are a natural alternative to commericial soaps and have a vast array of cleaning uses. Read more about the different uses, recipes, ways to store and why they would make a great addition to your preparedness closet.

Top 10 Foods that Naturally Clean Teeth
    There are certain foods that can be thought of as a double-edged sword, in terms of keeping your body healthy and cleaning your teeth at the same time.

SHTF Dental Care: 6 Alternatives to Toothpaste
    Without dentists being readily available to us during a long-term emergency, we will have to fall upon more natural approaches to dental health.

The 4 Things You Must Eat To Avoid Malnutrition
    Those that are preparedness-minded may want to take a more in-depth look at why it is important to store certain types of food and how they affect our bodies in order to make better choices when investing in your food storage.

Homesteading | Ready Nutrition
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 03:20 AM.

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Basic Fermentation: Sauerkraut

By Nick-LaDieu | August 23, 2011 | Food, Food Preservation | 7 Comments

Sauerkraut is really easy to make and very healthy for your gut. Darcy over at Stumbling Homestead blog posted this article, “Easy Sauerkraut, last year and I planted cabbage this year especially to try it. I setup my first batch last night and it came together really fast. I’ll be excited to see the results.
    • First I sterilized some quart mason jars
    • Next I shredded some cabbage with a mandolin slicer and the dicing insert. A plain old knife would work fine too, just take a bit longer
    • Stuff the cabbage into the jars and pack it down hard. Fill it up to just below the threads
    • Add a tablespoon to 1.5 tablespoons of salt. Make sure to use pickling salt or natural, unmodified, sea salt. In short, you do not want iodized salt.
    • Heat up some water to not quite boiling (Darcy suggests using filtered water, however I decided to use heated water as a friend suggested to me)
    • Ladle the water until it covers the cabbage
    • Put the lid on VERY loose so that air can vent
    • Now is where it gets interesting… my friend claims 6 weeks of fermentation for good Sauerkraut, however Darcy claims it is ready within a few weeks. The bottom line is you should go down and sample some from time to time and get a feel for what you think will taste best.
    • Ok, so it is the way you like it… great! At this point you can tighten the lids down and now you can choose one of two options to preserver it and stop the fermentation:
      1. Process the jars in a hot water bath (boiling water) for 30 minutes. It should keep for 9 months or more.
      2. Place in refridgerator and consume it as with any other pershiable.
    Personally I will be canning some and eating some. It would be interesting to learn if the canning process negativately impacts the beneficial bacteria within the Sauerkraut.
    Also Darcy points out in his article that he didn’t even like Kraut and is now addicted, so even if you don’t like store bought you might just want to give this cheap and easy method a try.
    A mandolin makes quick work of cabbage

Make sure to use salt with no iodine

Ready for fermentation

Basic Fermentation: Sauerkraut

Episode 30: Hunting deer from the view point of an absolute beginner

Audio: http://www.saveourskills.com/podpres...experience.mp3

This episode is all about my experience hunting deer. It is the viewpoint of an absolute beginner and it is just my experience and is very personal to me. You may experience better, different, or worse results.

One thing I forgot to mention: I got to see this tool used: Butt Out and all I can say is it is going into my kit. Wow that thing just took the intestine out with such ease I could not believe what I was seeing. Worth every penny of the about $10 you will spend on it.

Links:

Beginner’s Guide to hunting deer for food
    Mora Swedish Knife

Gut it, Cut it, Cook it (A MUST OWN!!)
    Russian Mosin Nagant
    Mosin Soft Point Hunting Ammo

Photos at the link

Episode 30: Hunting deer from the view point of an absolute beginner

Episode 27: Basic Home Beer Brewing with Bryan Vandenheuvel

By Nick-LaDieu | August 14, 2011 | Self Sufficiency | 2 Comments

Episode 27 Basic Beer Brewing [ 51:47 ] Hide Player | Play in Popup | Download

http://www.saveourskills.com/podpres...er-brewing.mp3

Bryan has been brewing beer for awhile as a means to circumvent the high prices of beer where he lives. In this podcast we learn how brewing your own beer is an economical choice if you enjoy the taste of a nice craft brew.
    Bryan is a blogger and he breaks down the process at his website here: The City Homestead: Home Brew
    Resources

http://www.saveourskills.com/basic-h...n-vandenheuvel
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 10-20-2012 at 01:30 AM.