Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Actually, OBSERVER, our "educational system" has been greatly dumbed down in order to cater to the high percentage of hispanic kids who can't or won't learn English and who's parents don't seem to understand the importance of learning the Language of the Land

-2ndamendsis

Your analysis is truly stunning.

So, are you suggesting that ncm's seeming inability to properly place an apostrophy is the fault of “hispanic kids who can't or won't learn English?”

Fortunately, you haven’t appeared to be affected by the debilitating social phenomenon you claim to be in existence. Kudos!

It's certainly no secret although definitely something that must be reversed quickly.

-2ndamendsis

Well certainly we must, if this is so. We wouldn’t want patriotic semi-literate patriots running around, now would we?

Quote Originally Posted by Observer
    Actually, OBSERVER, our "educational system" has been greatly dumbed down in order to cater to the high percentage of hispanic kids who can't or won't learn English and who's parents don't seem to understand the importance of learning the Language of the Land

-2ndamendsis

Your analysis is truly stunning.

So, are you suggesting that ncm's seeming inability to properly place an apostrophy is the fault of “hispanic kids who can't or won't learn English?”

Fortunately, you haven’t appeared to be affected by the debilitating social phenomenon you claim to be in existence. Kudos!

It's certainly no secret although definitely something that must be reversed quickly.

-2ndamendsis

Well certainly we must, if this is so. We wouldn’t want patriotic semi-literate patriots running around, now would we?
    You might think that insulting someone over an "apostrophe" is appropriate behavior &/or making some kind of moronic point, however, I do not.

More importantly is our deficient educational system. The high drop out rate of hispanics should be a dead give away to most folks and the fact that a high percentage of hispanic kids have difficulty with English as a FIRST language helps peak interest with this situation. Then we can also add to the miriad of information with the numbers incarcerated. But my fave is simply speaking with them and finding first hand how little they know about our history, government or language. BTW, that goes for ALL students, not just hispanic students. As you can see, dumbing down our educational system in order to cater to non English speakers has affected American children also. Now that's something I do care about, especially when colleges & universities are dumbing down their entrance requirements just to push the minority numbers up. One of the things that helped immigrants over the past century to improve their lives was the desire to assimilate and especially learn the language of the USofA. No exceptions were made for them and their children became successful while building this country into the greatest land in the world. Most of us prefer NOT to digress into a Mexico or Cuba, LOL. Do YOU?

So great a topic and so little time.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

You might think that insulting someone over an "apostrophe" is appropriate behavior &/or making some kind of moronic point, however, I do not.

-2ndamendsis

Suggesting that someone, who is clearly concerned with what the “world thinks,” brush up on his or her writing skills is evidence of an insult? Amazing!

You claim to be a proponent of proper education, and yet you insist that helping a fellow poster remedy his or her ignorance is a “moronic” endeavor?

Certainly, in this instance, you can detect your own inconsistency?

The high drop out rate of hispanics should be a dead give away to most folks and the fact that a high percentage of hispanic kids have difficulty with English as a FIRST language helps peak interest with this situation.

-2ndamendsis

You appear to have an above average knowledge of the educational woes of “Hispanics.” Did you write a dissertation on the high dropout rate of Hispanics?

As you can see, dumbing down our educational system in order to cater to non English speakers has affected American children also.

-2ndamendsis

Hmmm, that could very well be.

Obviously, something has affected the writing abilities of some of the English speaking members at this site. However, I’m not convinced you have presented a compelling case for your social hypostasis that the substandard English skills of “Americans” is the fault of “hispanic kids who can't or won't learn English.”

BTW, do you think that an abundant use of emotioncons is helpful in furthering constructive debate? Your insistence in employing so many of them is baffling. However, you seem to have concluded that they strengthen your arguments. So, who am I to question one’s strengths? Go with what you know best.

Thanks for reading & responding.

Looks like DD couldn't stand the fire anymore and enlisted the help from her "significant other" lawyer.....who else would argue the finer points of apostrophe usage........
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

who else would argue the finer points of apostrophe usage

-kniggit

Why, I would.

I, just like ncm, just happen to care about our worldwide image. Consequently, I would hate to think that world would view some of these posts as snapshot of our impoverished educational system.

It seems pretty clear to me: either you care to adhere to educational standards or you don’t. I presume that ncm shares my concern, and merely offered a friendly suggestion. And frankly, I’m shocked that you’d be offended by my desire and my attempt (albeit meager) to purge this site of poor writing skills. In fact, I’m surprised that my one sentence suggestion has sparked three responses from two members, neither of whom are ncm.

Looks like DD…enlisted…help

kniggit

If that is so, the deck is still stacked against us both. I hope you brave and well educated patriots will be kind enough to engage in debate, and be tolerant of a dissenting opinion or two.

Hi y'all,

Hadn't checked this thread out yet, so pm'd W. re his new avatar....

I love it! So fitting for a wise and strong leader!!! lol lol lol lol
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

One of the things that helped immigrants over the past century to improve their lives was the desire to assimilate and especially learn the language of the USofA.

- 2ndamendsis

Well, you have failed to make the distinction between legal and illegal immigration and how that relates to Hispanic immigrants. Are you suggesting that all or some Hispanics should be barred from legally immigrating to the U.S. because you have concluded that they have “difficulty with English” and because they are responsible for a social phenomenon (the “dumbing down [of] our educational system’) you claim to be affecting “all students?”

Perhaps, you will read and ponder the following article:

http://www.ailf.org/ipc/policy_reports_ ... nation.asp

"Latinos experience substantial socioeconomic progress across generations compared to both their immigrant forefathers and native Anglos. But this fact is lost in statistical portraits of the Latino population which don’t distinguish between the large number of newcomers and those who have been in the United States for generations. Advocates of restrictive immigration policies often use such aggregate statistics to make the dubious claim that Latinos are unable or unwilling to advance like the European immigrants of a century ago."

Well, you have failed to make the distinction between legal and illegal immigration and how that relates to Hispanic immigrants.
    Why make the distinction and why should it relate to Hispanics any more than Asians or Europeans?

People wanting to legally immigrate here usually learn the language. Part of the citizenship test is an English test. Most illegal Hispanics don't know or know very little English. They usually only learn enough English to get by with their job or to do shopping. Many are only here for the work and the government freebies.

Are you suggesting that all or some Hispanics should be barred from legally immigrating to the U.S. because you have concluded that they have “difficulty with English” and because they are responsible for a social phenomenon (the “dumbing down [of] our educational system’) you claim to be affecting “all students?”
    I don't think that is what she was suggesting.

I don't feel that people from any country should be "barred" from legally immigrating to the US. There should be certain restrictions on legal immigration. We also need to keep better track of the ones that are temporarily here.

Things must be slow at Brownpride this morning.

Observer,

This has nothing to do with race, creed, or color. This is about illegal aliens, no matter where they originate from.

That being said, it is a fact that people of Hispanic heritage, primarily Mexican, are taking to our streets demanding rights for illegals, when illegal aliens have no claim to those rights. And as American citizens we are trying to protect our country by demanding our government secure our borders and stop the massive influx of illegal aliens that are a burden to the taxpaying middle class. It is a fact that a majority of the illegal population is coming from Mexico, which is why the dialog tends to lean toward Hispanics. I am well aware that there are illegals other than Hispanics roaming our streets and they need to go as well. There is a large group of illegal Irish in the North East that are lobbying the government for their rights. They need to go also.

For standing up for our rights and our country we are repeatedly and consistently called racist, bigoted, xenophobic, etc. We have all seen and heard the rhetoric from groups like La Raza, LULAC, etc. They are extremely racist organizations and they are fueling the fire in this debate.

It is a fact that education for our children in this country is failing and badly. It is failing for many reasons. The fact that we as a nation are expected to cater to non-English speaking children is hurting the education of American children, but I will admit it is not the only reason.

I just wanted to contribute my 2 cents. I hope my writing style does not offend.

Observer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the things that helped immigrants over the past century to improve their lives was the desire to assimilate and especially learn the language of the USofA.

- 2ndamendsis

Well, you have failed to make the distinction between legal and illegal immigration and how that relates to Hispanic immigrants. Are you suggesting that all or some Hispanics should be barred from legally immigrating to the U.S. because you have concluded that they have “difficulty with English” and because they are responsible for a social phenomenon (the “dumbing down [of] our educational system’) you claim to be affecting “all students?”
    No, I certainly didn't "fail to make any distinction" as it's not necessary.
    All IMMIGRANTS are LEGAL whether they are hispanic, Asian, European, African or Middle Eastern. Who gives a flying fig what nationality a LEGAL IMMIGRANT is? YOU? However, I certainly care who the ILLEGALS are. Don't you?

ILLEGALS are ALIENS; they're certainly not immigrants. And, oh my, but we have millions of ignorant, law breaking ILLEGALS floating around our country. Approximately 80% are Mexican.......now that's absolutely shocking and that plus Mexico's complicity makes this an hispanic issue. What makes it more disgusting is that approximately 30+ % of prison inmates are ILLEGALS. Geez, but my dander is rising at this one.

How about ALL ILLEGALS return to their respective nations and begin building them just as Americans have done here for the past 230 years? Wouldn't that be unique? Building one's own nation!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)