Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

My other beef is with your apparent lack of concern over America's exploding population: It might look like we have a lot of space here, compared to the hideously-conjested countries that so many of these recent imigrants are fleeing from. But to those of us who have lived here for the last 30 years it sure doesn't look like a lot of space compared to what America was like just 30 years. Some of us still remember what America was like just 30 years ago. And we look at what its become now and go: "HOLY SHEET!" And then we extrapolate what it willl probably look like 30 years FROM now, and REALLY go: "HOLY SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!"

There is no reasoning with this guy. He apparently thinks we should let the whole world into our country just because we have space. Well I've had enough of urban sprawl. I'm 21 and I remember what my grandpa's house used to look like, woods and deer all around, now it is a typical suburban town. The woods and deer are pretty much gone. Some of us would like to have some space to move around and would not like to destroy out environment even more. But I guess that doesn't matter. Other countries can not create success so according to LegalImmigrant we have a duty to let them flood in. No thank you, ever since the Immigration Act of 1965 we have been letting way too many immigrants in and importing all the problems of the third world. These people flee their home situation but are creating the same thing here. I've had enough.

ANd theres another general tone to your comments, LEgal Immigrant, that bothers me. This under-current of whining. You don't have the same "rights" and "security" as American citizens. You work hard, you pay taxes, therefor you deserve, etc etc. No one is disputing that you're contributing to American society. But has it occured to you the vastly GREATER contributions that so many of us have ALREADY made to this country. Families going back several generations, working like dogs to BUILD up this country in the first place. Families who have had sons and daughters fighting and dying in wars to protect this great country. I had two uncles that were permanently ruined from their experiences, seeing some of the worst fighting in the D-Day invasion. And yet, we have people like you, who have only been here a few years, seemingly snapping their fingers with this attitude of "I deserve this and I deserve that." You really want to talk about how much you DESERVE from America, compared to how much you've CONTRIBUTED? Lay it on me, baby. I'm listening.

Quote Originally Posted by dman1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Valis_of_Istari
    hey dman, you think that's bad, take a gander at the positions some take about immigration on the following forum.

http://phillyblog.com/philly/showthread.php?t=6166

http://phillyblog.com/philly/showthread.php?t=5215

http://phillyblog.com/philly/showthread.php?t=4600
    I couldn't registered for that blog. I'd probably get banned in about 2 seconds.
    you may not. they may be extreme in their views, but they don't outright bann people who have differing views.

Heck, I'm a member there, and I slam em all on a daily basis.
    Freedom suppressed and again regained bites with keener fangs than freedom never endangered

hi

IMO, I care not to wait until our population reaches that of India or other overpopulated countries before crying foul!

Why not learn from the obvious mistakes of others?

As Albert Einstein once said "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insanity".

We have to stop the overpopulation NOW. Illegal alien criminals in our country being deported seems to be a GREAT start to me!

Acebackwords,

You talk of China as if it has a policy encouraging childbirth: China and Mexico being the worst offenders -- both have one thing in common: the most irresponsible breeding practises on the planet. But as many people know, China has a draconian "one child" policy that makes people pay heavy fines for having more than one child, a policy that has led to the widespread abortion of female children and an imbalance in the ratio of men to women. So don't speak of their policy as if it is too loose: if anything, it is clearly too strict. And having been to China and India, they are very far from being "ruined".

There is no way to make immigrants reproduce at the same low rate as citizens do. However, after one generation, immigrants' childbearing patterns tend to move much more towards those of citizens.

I can certainly understand that parts of America look very congested to you guys. But what we're talking about is not subjective feelings but the "carrying capacity" of a country, and I am quite sure that America's "carrying capacity" is much higher than the number of inhabitants it currently has.

Of course it occurs to me that prior generations have done much to make America it is today. But for me, it is part of American culture that you get judged not by who your parents were and what they did, but by what you yourself have to contribute. I deserve nothing more than a fair shake - the opportunity to compete on a level playing field with American citizens, rather than having a situation like I have now where I have to plead with potential employers to pay me more than they would pay an American citizen because that's what the immigration laws require. Got it?

Valis,

You are right that a higher population would reduce the amount of rural areas and open space, and I am not sure myself that that would be good. I was merely saying that it was technically feasible to absorb that many people, not that it would be good from an environmental standpoint to have the country to be as thickly populated as Europe is.

We had 4 billion people in the world in about 1960, and it took 40 years for it to rise to 7 billion where it is now. If we assume that the US will have the same growth rate in population that the world does, and that (as most world population models project) world population will level off at about 11 billion, then the highest we can expect the US population to grow to is 300 million * 11 / 7 = 471 million sometime in the late 21st century. I do believe we can accommodate that.

The link you posted, www.psu.edu/stat/vari_pop/Kessel/03, does not work.

Dman,

My screen name, LegalImmigrant, should make it clear that I am legally here, on an H-1B visa. As I explain, while some of your previous post addresses illegal immigrants alone, that particular paragraph addressed both and therefore included me.

30 percent of the prison population are ILLEGAL ALIENS. What's so bad about stating that which is fact?

If it's a fact, then there is no harm in stating it. What I was questioning was your deduction from the factual premise: that the illegal immigrants should be thrown out at least in part because they constitute 30% of the prison population. My analogy with men was intended to show that you could use your reasoning to justify throwing all male prisoners out of the country. If anyone else would take them, that is.

Just because you come here to work doesn't mean you have a right to be in my country.

If I obey the laws, and keep in status, then I sure do. Provided that's the case, then I cannot be thrown out without due process of law - and that IS in the Constitution.

If you obey the laws you have nothing to fear.

As people on this board repeatedly point out, laws can suck.

I ask to be treated as a human being, endowed by my Creator with inalienable rights. The Constitution applies equally to citizens and noncitizens, and does not even limit the right to vote in local elections to citizens. The crazy thing is that new limitations keep being imposed on LEGAL immigrants who are just trying to make a living and become citizens to make it harder and harder to stay in the country, at the same time as amnesties are proposed for ILLEGAL immigrants.

Like America owes you a living. We don't owe you a damn thing.

I work for a living, and am not eligible for any benefit that I know of. Next question?

DonQuixote,

I was thinking of posts by someone who I will not "name and shame" here who was suggesting that the natural and superior culture of America was an "Anglo-European" one. We all know that that means white, and I don't see why you would claim that it doesn't. Such a reference completely excludes any contribution made to American culture by non-"Anglo-Europeans", and even as an Englishman I can tell that that is absurd.

DonQuixote and Acebackwords:

Don't get me wrong: I like American culture a great deal. But there are many reasons why people change country, and not all of them are to do with acknowledging another culture as superior. In my case, I actually started off believing, like most British people do, that American culture was markedly inferior to British culture, and came over here to study because my wife had decided to come here to study. I remained here to work, and came to the conclusion that my previous opinion about American culture had been biased and based on inaccurate information. But I would still prefer dual citizenship to American citizenship alone, for the sake of my family and my heritage.

Yankee,

What makes you think that "other countries cannot create success"? I have lived in four countries. How many have you lived in or visited? What are you basing your bald statement on? I go back to Britain and I see a country that is in many ways prosperous and successful, the fourth largest economy in the world, with sustained low inflation and unemployment. However, I prefer it here.

Good12me,

I agree that illegal alien criminals should be deported.

Oh thats great, Legal Immigrant, like I'm supposed to be impressed by China's "one person one baby" policy. Except that it came about a half a billion babies too late. Man, you are really too much.

Then fine, if life in China and India isn't "ruined" and everything is fine there, then I suggest they remain there and enjoy their fine lives there as opposed to inflicting their fine lives on us. Meanwhile, the excess millions and millions of Chinese and Indians that they no longer have space for in their own countries because of their incredibly irresponsible over-breeding practises, should stay there in thier fine countries also. As opposed to coming here and taking some of MY space. You ever hear the phrase: "You made your bed, now go lie in it." They made their babies, now stay in their own countries and take care of them. These people want to live in a great country? Then why don't they build their OWN great countries rather than attaching themselves to the country WE built. Everything is "fine' in those countries? They why are millions of em desparately sneaking into our country like rats fleeing from a sinking ship?

We had 4 billion people in the world in about 1960, and it took 40 years for it to rise to 7 billion where it is now. If we assume that the US will have the same growth rate in population that the world does, and that (as most world population models project) world population will level off at about 11 billion, then the highest we can expect the US population to grow to is 300 million * 11 / 7 = 471 million sometime in the late 21st century. I do believe we can accommodate that.

The link you posted, www.psu.edu/stat/vari_pop/Kessel/03, does not work

The link works, you just have to keep trying to acess it. His stats are not pro immigration, so PSU, limited his bandwith. You'll notice that Dissertations, Doctoral Thesis's etc, have max bandwith, but if they do not parrot the pc line, the bandwith is limited.

Here's an interesting tool. Look at sat photo's of various countries during the last two decades. Look at the ones taken at night. Notice, how over the years, the dark/black areas, (uninhabiated/rural areas) have slowly been disappearing. The most striking of these are S Korea-N. Korea and even Great Britain.

http://www.terraserver.com/

As for our population bud, we are already at 300 million.
    Freedom suppressed and again regained bites with keener fangs than freedom never endangered

Acebackwords,

Who are you to say how many Chinese people are "too many" Chinese people? What constitutes "incredibly irresponsible over-breeding": having three children? Having four? Do you know how many children, on average, new immigrants to the American colonies had? Who's the "over-breeder"? Did my mother "over-breed" by having four kids? Did her mother "over-breed" by having seven? Why do you focus on majority-nonwhite nations with your accusations of "over-breeding"?

There is a big difference between a country being "ruined" and a country being "the best". I have observed a tendency both on this board and elsewhere to pretend that other countries just suck and that immigrants only come here because their own countries are too sucky for life in them to be bearable. People's reasons for immigrating are much more complex than that, and many other countries are worth living in besides the US.

Valis,

I know we're already at 300 million: I used that figure as the basis of my calculation.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast