Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by wmarincic
    I heard on the radio there was an ethics complain against her. Anyone know about that?
    It was said that she tried to have her ex-brother in law fired from the state police.

Her Brother In Law had multiple disciplinary measures in his file. For heavens sakes, he tazed an 11 year old kid.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." -- John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by joazinha
    McCain has done LOTS of things that are a MYSTERY, but THIS one TAKES the CAKE!
    I like Palin. I had hoped she would be Ron Paul's VP. I will not vote for McCain though.

I would have voted for her.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." -- John Quincy Adams

Just started looking. Found this from her 2006 run for guv. Unfortunately, the paper did not ask specifically about illegal immigration (scroll down), but you get a sense of her views on other issues:
    Source:
    Anchorage Daily News (AK) - October 22, 2006

Where they stand - Running for Governor 2006 The Trail News from the 2006 campaign for governor

Sarah Palin
    Republican

Web site: w w w. palinforgovernor.com

Spouse: Todd Palin

Children: Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper

Education: Wasilla High School, 1982 graduate; University of Idaho, B.S. degree, journalism, 1987

Employment history: Media; utility; full-time mayor/administrator, 1996-2002; and commercial fisherman

Military service: None

Previous public offices held (include dates) and offices run for: Former mayor of Wasilla, Wasilla City Council, president of Alaska Conference of Mayors, Alaska Municipal League, Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission, former chair of Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, 2002 candidate for lieutenant governor

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

1. How would your administration move forward on a natural gas pipeline? How does your plan compare with the proposal negotiated by the Murkowski administration?

All qualified and viable proposals will be considered. The Stranded Gas Development Act no longer applies. We will introduce a bill seeking a "law of general application." The bill will set forth key requirements, such as access to gas for Alaska communities, jobs for Alaskans, pre-construction benchmarks, expansion provisions, reasonable tariff structure and legislative approval. The bill will also set forth incentives to qualified applicants that guarantee quick commencement.

2. Do you believe the state should demand a firm construction start date for a gas line, despite the uncertainties of construction costs, permits and financing?

Yes. If the state is going to offer incentives - and award them to a specific proposal - it is reasonable to expect a firm start date. Otherwise, other proposals need to be given the opportunity to begin construction.

3. Do you support the natural gas reserves tax on the Nov. 7 ballot? If it passed, how would that affect your negotiations with the producers on a gas pipeline?

I am opposed. This initiative is akin to taxing income before it is even earned. The way to get an agreement on building a pipeline is to negotiate . not litigate.

4. Do you support the Petroleum Profits Tax passed by the Legislature and signed into law by Gov. Murkowski? If no, why not?

My preference was a tax on the gross price with a price-progressive index. We need to see how companies apply the tax credits within the law. If the credits are abused and Alaska is shortchanged, changes will be proposed. The intent of the credits is to encourage new exploration and infrastructure development.

5. Would you continue state funding for the proposed Knik Arm and Gravina Island bridges?

Yes. I would like to see Alaska's infrastructure projects built sooner rather than later. The window is now - while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist.

6. If Roe v. Wade were overturned and states could once again prohibit abortion, in your view, to what extent should abortion be prohibited in Alaska?

Under this hypothetical scenario, it would not be up to the governor to unilaterally ban anything. It would be up to the people of Alaska to discuss and decide how we would like our society to reflect our values.

7. Do you support or oppose the use of public funds for abortion (e.g., paying for abortion, promoting abortion, subsidizing organizations that provide or refer for abortion)?

I oppose the use of public funds for elective abortions.

8. Would you introduce - or, if introduced by a legislator, would you support - a bill to adopt the death penalty in Alaska? If yes, which crimes should it apply to?

If the Legislature were to pass a bill that established a death penalty on adults who murder children, I would sign it.

9. The state's pension fund for employees and teachers is $6.9 billion in the red. How would you propose to address that? Should any of the burden of increased payments fall on local taxpayers, through their municipal governments and school districts?

The state now has the responsibility to provide direct payments into the Public Employees' Retirement System/Teachers' Retirement System funds in order to make up the contributions that were shortchanged by previous governors. Gov. Murkowski is on the right track by proposing $500 million of the budget surplus as a deposit for next year. Future budget surpluses should be applied in similar fashion as a way of alleviating the burden on municipalities and school districts.

10. What role does state government have, if any, in addressing global warming and climate change?

We need to analyze the potential economic costs, needs and opportunities associated with climate change. Let's be cautious in how we react - to make sure we don't overreact. The Alaska Climate Impact Assessment Commission is supposed to assess the situation and issue a report on March 1, 2007. This is a good start.

11. Do you support an increase in state-funded, faith-based initiatives?

We see an adequate level of funding for faith-based initiatives today.

12. What, specifically, would you do to help make rural Alaska sustain itself economically?

I support a municipal revenue sharing so local areas can prioritize their own needs. The state needs to establish a rural energy plan that includes making the Power Cost Equalization endowment operational. Commercial fishing is a mainstay for many villages, and I oppose actions that cut off Alaskans from our fisheries.

13. This year saw the biggest wartime call-up of Alaska National Guard troops ever. Combined with deployments of active-duty forces, thousands of Alaskans are now serving in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere overseas. What's your view of the Iraq war, and do you support President Bush's "war on terror"?

I support President Bush's efforts to stop terrorism by taking the fight to the terrorists. In the Iraq war, I would like to see the president develop an exit strategy to get our troops home.

14. High oil prices led to an estimated $11 billion state budget this year, including a record $7.6 billion to operate state government. With continued high oil prices and the new oil-tax law, the state treasury could swell by billions more. What is your plan for spending this money if it materializes? Please be specific.

As governor, my fiscal policy begins with being fiscally conservative. During these times of budget surplus, it is irresponsible to promise new programs that can not be sustained over many years. Any budget surpluses will be managed as a part of a savings plan that prioritizes forward-funding education and paying down the unfunded liability of the PERS/TRS funds.

15. What would you do with the state's new jet?

I will figure out the best way to get rid of it.

16. Would you support amending the state constitution to allow private school vouchers?

My priorities are to support options for education as allowable within the current funding formula - including home schools, charter schools and vocational training. This doesn't require amending the constitution.

17. The biggest problem with public schools in Alaska is ________. How would you address that?

The impact of contribution rates to the PERS/TRS pensions. The unfunded liability is eating up funds that otherwise should be going into our classrooms and will hurt our ability to attract and retain good teachers. My plan to address the PERS/TRS shortfall includes using budget surpluses to accelerate the pay-down of that debt.

18. If the state finds itself squeezed for funds in the future, where would you look for more revenue?

Unlike my opponents' efforts in the past, I will not propose to take the people's dividends or impose an income tax. Given our current revenue projections, I will focus my administration toward developing our natural resources and establishing an agreement to build a gas pipeline.

19. Should the state consider using more Permanent Fund earnings to run government?

No.

20. Would you support state sales or income taxes under any circumstances?

I don't support state income taxes. There are circumstances where I could support a sales tax if applied seasonally.

21. Are there sectors of the Alaska economy that are under taxed or overtaxed? Which ones?

As a fiscal conservative, I'm not enamored with additional taxes on anything. I believe it's the governor's job to make sure the state gets a fair return on the development of our natural resources.

22. Do you support building a road from Juneau to Skagway?

Yes.

23. Does the oil industry in Alaska exercise undue influence over state natural resource, fiscal and environmental policy? If so, how would you specifically reduce the industry's role?

The oil industry exercises the maximum amount of influence it can. It's the responsibility of the governor to support and allow regulators within state agencies to do their job. I fault previous administrations for allowing any undue influence that has adversely affected Alaska's resource development opportunities.

24. The state has seen big growth of minority and immigrant populations, specifically Latinos, Southeast Asians, Asians and Pacific Islanders. What sort of outreach has your campaign done in these communities, and what have you learned about what these communities' specific needs?

I have reached out to all these communities and asked them to identify their needs. Their response has been for more vocational training, senior assistance, ending gang violence, and more state outreach and communication with their communities. One of the key components of my internal campaign is a diversity task force. I turn to them often.

25. Do you support federal offshore oil leases in the Bristol Bay region?

Over the next two years, the federal MMS will analyze the risks. It's important to work with the local communities in the region to explain what will happen under the process.

26. Do you support the proposed Pebble mine in Southwest Alaska as the project is now envisioned? If no, are there conditions the mine developers could take that would make the project acceptable?

As part of a Bristol Bay fishing family, I would not support any development that would endanger the most sensitive and productive fishery in the world.

27. The most important issue in this election is ____.

Selecting a governor with the integrity and ability to get our natural resources developed safely and expeditiously. Previous efforts have nudged the ball forward in regards to a gas line, but I sense a number of the players in this process are becoming discouraged because of the lack of an acceptable contract. It's time for a new approach with new energy.

NEW:

On Nov. 7, Alaskans will elect a new governor. To help voters compare the candidates, we asked each of them more than two dozen questions, in writing, on a range of Alaska issues. Today we're presenting their answers. Six candidates will be on the ballot. Don Wright of the Alaskan Independence Party and Libertarian candidate William Toien chose not to participate in the survey.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by loservillelabor
    She's a conservative and is against illegal immigration and amnesty.
    Kudos to her for being in our corner if that is the case. That said, I'm dismayed by this choice. I'm sure she is a very fine woman with many talents, but it is beyond baffling why McCain picked her after saying his choice would be determined by the person's readiness to assume the Presidency.

As disagreeable as I find McCain, I had planned to hold my nose and vote for him in the face of an Obama in office. I think we could give McCain a smackdown ONCE AGAIN on immigration. Obama.....I have serious doubts about, and I think McCain might have handed him the Presidency with this questionable move.

Good interview Populist. Interesting. Thanks for posting it.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I like her alot and think she is probably quite tough...but remember Alaska and Idaho has the newest Mexican Counsulate going in and I understand Alaska is getting quite a big problem when it comes to illegal aliens....

So maybe she is iqnoring their problem she is probably like Otter who does not believe we have a problem...these are the worst kind as they wait until it is so hard to repair the damage.

I still don't think I can vote for MCCain but I am looking forward to watching her butt heads with Biden
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Saki
    As disagreeable as I find McCain, I had planned to hold my nose and vote for him in the face of an Obama in office.
    You don't have to Saki, McCain is up by 10 points in Ark., vote for who you really want.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Im starting to wish Palin had run for POYUS!!!!!!!!!

jjmm wrote:

Well, for me, as a 45 year old Conservative woman, this is a wonderful pick.!!!!! Probably the one I've been most excited about in a long time.

She's a strong Conservative WOMAN who offers an alternative for those of us who are not and never will be anti-life bra burning liberal feminists!! She's a mom of 5, strong, attractive -- the Governor of a State, for crying out loud -- (not just a "Community Organizer" ) She epitomizes the "real" women of our generation -- pro-family, pro-education, pro-life, and good at what we do. We work, manage families, etc. -- She is a representative for REAL women everywhere, IMO.

These lib feminist "icons" (Hillary, et al) have NEVER spoken for me as a woman. I feel Sarah Palin gives people like me a voice.

And she is a member of Feminists for Life -- one of my favorite organizations which champions women's TRUE strengths and value.

Not sure where she stands on illegal immigration -- but honestly, we all know this fight will be fought on all three battlefields . . .

GO SARAH!!!!
    I agree jjmm being 41 with a family of my own and a conservative. She may bring in a good portion evangelicals and Catholics. We don't know what her stance is on immigration.

I heard she rides around to appointments in her own car and takes public transportation even when using airlines. She grounded the multimillion dollar jet the former Govenor had and saved the state millions.
    In contrast, Pelosi who jets around in taxpayer funded jets and just dissed her as a VP. I loathe Pelosi!!

She has appointed Dems and Independents to her staff is a good point.

She's gone up against earmarks, corruption even in her own party.

She's gone up against the oil companies and lobbiest.

Both Palin and her husband are in a Union.

I was impressed with her bio. and conservative values.

IMHO

Still undecided as yet.

Here is a breakdown of the 2004 elections and how people voted.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/ ... lls.0.html

There are 67 million Catholics in the US, which makes up 27% of voters in this country. Article link below.
    http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/ ... lls.0.html

Evangelicals/Protestants
    Protestant (54%)

Demacrats are mocking the fact that McCain just met her once.

Well, this might work for us in the fact that she will go against the grain and fight for Americans. She got rid of corruption in her own party. McCain may have chosen, unkowingly, a fighter for America in his choice to garner Hillary's 18 million voters.

Quote Originally Posted by jjmm
    Well, for me, as a 45 year old Conservative woman, this is a wonderful pick.!!!!! Probably the one I've been most excited about in a long time.

She's a strong Conservative WOMAN who offers an alternative for those of us who are not and never will be anti-life bra burning liberal feminists!! She's a mom of 5, strong, attractive -- the Governor of a State, for crying out loud -- (not just a "Community Organizer" ) She epitomizes the "real" women of our generation -- pro-family, pro-education, pro-life, and good at what we do. We work, manage families, etc. -- She is a representative for REAL women everywhere, IMO.

These lib feminist "icons" (Hillary, et al) have NEVER spoken for me as a woman. I feel Sarah Palin gives people like me a voice.

And she is a member of Feminists for Life -- one of my favorite organizations which champions women's TRUE strengths and value.

Not sure where she stands on illegal immigration -- but honestly, we all know this fight will be fought on all three battlefields . . .

GO SARAH!!!!
    Well i must say after reading your passionate post .That i may need to sit back and reflect on this woman and see her in a different light . I wanted Romney real bad and was very shocked at Juans pick for vp . I'll try and act like a mature male and thanks for an enlighting post .
    I'm still in need of juan to say Illegal means Illegal :P
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast