Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Between my work duties today, I've been phoning and sending emails about the candidacies of Huckabee and McCain. One of the calls I made awhile ago was to the South Carolina headquarters for Romney. A young woman answered, and I told her how disturbed I am about the turn this race has taken. She said she very much appreciated the call and that they need all the support they can get. I told her I'd send her an email with my concerns, and she seemed very pleased. She said she'd forward it on to others involved in his campaign.

McCain and Huckabee have to be stopped.

Mitt Romney's record on immigration

http://www.mittromney.com/News/Press-Re ... mmigration

The Romney Record: Immigration

Friday, May 18, 2007
    FACT: As Governor Of Massachusetts, Governor Romney Took Action To Enforce Immigration Laws.

ENFORCEMENT: In December 2006, Governor Romney Signed A Memorandum Of Agreement With The Federal Government To Allow State Troopers To Enforce Federal Immigration Laws. "Governor Mitt Romney and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Assistant Secretary Julie L. Myers today announced the signing of a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) between the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and ICE, which will give specially trained Massachusetts State Troopers the authority to administer and enforce federal immigration laws in the Commonwealth. " (Office Of The Governor, "Governor Romney, ICE Sign Immigration Enforcement Pact," Press Release, 12/13/06)

IN-STATE TUITION: Governor Romney Vetoed In-State Tuition For Illegal Immigrants. "Romney also vetoed a number of outside sections of the budget, including:...A plan that would have permitted illegal aliens to pay the same in-state tuition rate at our public colleges and universities as Massachusetts citizens." (Office Of The Governor, "Romney Signs $22.402B Fiscal Year 2005 'No New Tax' Budget," Press Release, 6/25/04)

ENGLISH IMMERSION: Governor Romney Fought Efforts To Weaken Massachusetts' English Immersion Law. "But yesterday, Romney press secretary Shawn Feddeman said the governor will fight all attempts to slow the implementation of English immersion, known on the ballot as Question 2. ... 'He will veto anything that weakens or delays English immersion,' Feddeman said." (Anand Vaishnav, "Romney Firm On English Timetable," The Boston Globe, 1/24/03)

- In June 2002, Mitt Romney Said "The Approach Of English Immersion Is One That I Support. ... I Would Make English Immersion The Educational Norm For All Non-Native English Speakers." (John McElhenny, "Mitt Romney Endorses 'English Immersion' Education Plan," The Associated Press, 6/4/02)

DRIVER'S LICENCES: Governor Romney Opposed Efforts To Give Driver's Licenses To Illegal Immigrants. "'Those who are here illegally should not receive tacit support from our government that gives an indication of legitimacy,' the governor said, echoing arguments that opponents have voiced in the Commonwealth and in other states considering similar license measures. 'If they are here illegally, they should not get driver's licenses,' he said." (Scott S. Greenberger, "Romney Stand Dims Chances Of License For Undocumented," The Boston Globe, 10/28/03)

FACT: Governor Romney Would Take Action To Secure The Borders Through Physical And Virtual Fences.

Governor Romney: "In my view, there are several principles that need to be part of our immigration plan. First, to secure the border..." (Governor Mitt Romney, Interview On The Northern Alliance Radio Network, 1/27/07)

Governor Romney: "You've got to have a wall or fence or electronic surveillance. You have got to make sure we secure our border, that's first." (Fox News' "The O'Reilly Factor," 9/19/06)

FACT: Governor Romney Supports Strong Reforms To Stop Illegal Immigration And Encourage Legal Immigration.

Governor Romney: "The current system puts up a concrete wall to the best and brightest, yet those without skill or education are able to walk across the border. We must reform the current immigration laws so we can secure our borders, implement a mandatory biometrically-enabled and tamper-proof documentation and employment-verification system, and increase legal immigration into America." (David Yepsen, Op-Ed, "So Far, Romney's Been Most Impressive Republican," Des Moines Register, 7/11/06)

FACT: Governor Romney Opposes The McCain-Kennedy Bill And Any Form Of Amnesty For Illegal Immigrants.

Governor Romney: "McCain-Kennedy Isn't The Answer." "Another aspect of American sovereignty is the security of our borders. The current system is a virtual concrete wall against those who have skill and education, but it's a wide-open walk across the border for those that have neither. McCain-Kennedy isn't the answer. As governor, I took a very different approach. I authorized our state police to enforce federal immigration laws." (Governor Mitt Romney, Remarks At The Conservative Political Action Conference, Washington, D.C., 3/2/07)

FACT: Governor Romney Supports A Strong Employer-Verification System That Includes A Tamper Proof Worker Verification Card.

Governor Romney: "First, to secure the border, number two, have an employment verification system. This would be a card - a biometric card - that people who are not citizens would have and before an employer hires a non citizen they would have to look at the card, type in a number on a computer, and get verification from the federal government that this person is eligible for work in the U.S. If they hired someone not so eligible that company would be fined just like not paying taxes." (Governor Mitt Romney, Interview On The Northern Alliance Radio Network, 1/27/07)

FACT: Governor Romney Supports Empowering Local And State Authorities To Enforce Federal Immigration Laws.

Governor Romney Believes More State And Local Police Agencies Should Work With The Federal Government To Enforce Immigration Laws. "Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney said Tuesday that more state and local police agencies ought to consider making deals with the federal government to have their officers trained in enforcing elements of federal immigration law. ... 'I think it's a good idea for us to communicate that we intend to enforce our laws,' Romney said." (Jacques Billeaud, "Romney: More State, Local Police Should Get Immigration Training," The Associated Press, 3/13/07)

Romney

Quote Originally Posted by Populist
    Thanks Saki. As he said, he's in for the long haul.
    I believe Romney is in it for the long haul and the he will win Michigan.

Mitt Romney has always handled taxpayer dollars with one hundred percent (100%) honesty.

As president, he will secure this nation's borders and oppose amnesty for illegal aliens.

Re: Tancredo Endorsement of Romney

Quote Originally Posted by Himtngal
    I think it's time we get behind one candidate that will do something about illegal immigration. I trust Tancredo as well. Romney needs our support.
    Mitt Romney will secure the borders and oppose amnesty for illegal aliens.

McCain

Quote Originally Posted by Populist
    Quote Originally Posted by Saki
    The main criticisms I read about Romney are that he's "too slick", "too perfect" or that his religion is "scary". Rarely do I read a substantive comment. He seems to have a lot of supporters, also, and they're mainly concerned with issues. Most of the McCain support is based on his military history and his being a "straight shooter", as if any of that confers Presidential stock---or preparedness.
    Good point. If voters took the time to look beyond McCain's rhetoric & actually review his sorry liberal record in many areas, they would be aghast. We all respect the service of veterans, but the point is what about McCain's record of advocating amnesty against the wishes of the vast majority of Americans? His arrogance is astounding and as a conservative, I will NEVER vote for him. And he most certainly is NOT a "straight shooter" but much of the media gives him a pass.
    McCain is a liar on the issue of illegal immigration. As president, he would not secure the borders and would support amnesty for millions of illegal aliens.

Michigan

There was a Democratic strategist--I didn't catch his name--on MSNBC awhile ago with Pat Buchanan. They were talking about the Michigan race and the strategist said that if John McCain wins that state and South Carolina, he'll be in a good spot for the nomination. He went on to say that it will effectively take the immigration issue off the table. Then he smirked and said, "I think it's a good thing, even though I know Pat wouldn't agree".

Joe Scarborough was on right before saying that if Romney comes in second he'll probably switch focus to accruing delegates, something already discussed here. Both the Democratic strategist and Scarborough said it's the Independent vote hurting Romney. I got the feeling that Scarborough is in Romney's corner, although he didn't come out and say it. He said voters in Michigan are looking for someone who is optimistic about and committed to revitalizing their economy and will "pull up his shirt sleeves" on their behalf. He contrasted Romney's commitment to Michigan with McCain's attitude that many jobs are gone forever, "so get over it". He said voters don't want to hear that. Yet, somehow, McCain seems to be leading the pack.
    Romney will defeat McCain among GOP voters in Michigan, but I'm afraid that so enough Demcorats will support McCain to cause a Romney second-place finish.

Bay

Quote Originally Posted by usanevada
    It appears Bay Buchanon has become the Romney spokes person
    for several cable talking head shows

Which is good , she speaks well and knows how to get out a

She is a former treasurer of the United States.

As president, Mitt Romney will handle taxpayer dollars honestly. Unfortunately, not every candidate on the GOP side of the presidential race can say that.

National Review endorsement of Gov. Romney

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=Ym ... MzNjI=&p=1

Romney for President

By the Editors

Many conservatives are finding it difficult to pick a presidential candidate. Each of the men running for the Republican nomination has strengths, and none has everything — all the traits, all the positions — we are looking for. Equally conservative analysts can reach, and have reached, different judgments in this matter. There are fine conservatives supporting each of these Republicans.

Our guiding principle has always been to select the most conservative viable candidate. In our judgment, that candidate is Mitt Romney, the former governor of Massachusetts. Unlike some other candidates in the race, Romney is a full-spectrum conservative: a supporter of free-market economics and limited government, moral causes such as the right to life and the preservation of marriage, and a foreign policy based on the national interest. While he has not talked much about the importance of resisting ethnic balkanization — none of the major candidates has — he supports enforcing the immigration laws and opposes amnesty. Those are important steps in the right direction.

Uniting the conservative coalition is not enough to win a presidential election, but it is a prerequisite for building on that coalition. Rudolph Giuliani did extraordinary work as mayor of New York and was inspirational on 9/11. But he and Mike Huckabee would pull apart the coalition from opposite ends: Giuliani alienating the social conservatives, and Huckabee the economic (and foreign-policy) conservatives. A Republican party that abandoned either limited government or moral standards would be much diminished in the service it could give the country.

Two other major candidates would be able to keep the coalition together, but have drawbacks of their own. John McCain is not as conservative as Romney. He sponsored and still champions a campaign-finance law that impinged on fundamental rights of political speech; he voted against the Bush tax cuts; he supported this year’s amnesty bill, although he now says he understands the need to control the border before doing anything else.

Despite all that and more, he is a hero with a record that is far more good than bad. He has been a strong and farsighted supporter of the Iraq War, and, in a trying political season for him, he has preserved and even enhanced his reputation for dignity and seriousness. There would be worse nominees for the GOP (see above). But McCain ran an ineffectual campaign for most of the year and is still paying for it.

Fred Thompson is as conservative as Romney, and has distinguished himself with serious proposals on Social Security, immigration, and defense. But Thompson has never run any large enterprise — and he has not run his campaign well, either. Conservatives were excited this spring to hear that he might enter the race, but have been disappointed by the reality. He has been fading in crucial early states. He has not yet passed the threshold test of establishing for voters that he truly wants to be president.

Romney is an intelligent, articulate, and accomplished former businessman and governor. At a time when voters yearn for competence and have soured on Washington because too often the Bush administration has not demonstrated it, Romney offers proven executive skill. He has demonstrated it in everything he has done in his professional life, and his tightly organized, disciplined campaign is no exception. He himself has shown impressive focus and energy.

It is true that he has less foreign-policy experience than Thompson and (especially) McCain, but he has more executive experience than both. Since almost all of the candidates have the same foreign-policy principles, what matters most is which candidate has the skills to execute that vision.

Like any Republican, he would have an uphill climb next fall. But he would be able to offer a persuasive outsider’s critique of Washington. His conservative accomplishments as governor showed that he can work with, and resist, a DemoÂ*cratÂ*ic legislature. He knows that not every feature of the health-care plan he enacted in Massachusetts should be replicated nationally, but he can also speak with more authority than any of the other Republican candidates about this pressing issue. He would also have credibility on the economy, given his success as a businessman and a manager of the Olympics.

Some conservatives question his sincerity. It is true that he has reversed some of his positions. But we should be careful not to overstate how much he has changed. In 1994, when he tried to unseat Ted Kennedy, he ran against higher taxes and government-run health care, and for school choice, a balanced budget amendment, welfare reform, and “tougher measures to stop illegal immigration.â€

Romney endorsement by The Oakland Press

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/ ... 1161.shtml

'Favorite son' Romney is best GOP choice in primary

EDITORIAL

The Oakland Press

Michigan's presidential primary election Tuesday certainly has stirred enough controversy nationwide with both political parties.
    Advertisement

And despite possible sanctions from both national Democratic and Republican organizations, it offers Michigan residents a chance to send a message and make a statement.

Particularly on the GOP ticket, where all national presidential candidates will be listed.

We urge Republican Party faithfuls to stand up and vote for Mitt Romney. Although technically not a home state "favorite son," his ties to Michigan are strong.

His father, George, was an outstanding governor for Michigan from 1963-69. The fact that he was a Mormon didn't hinder his performance as the state's leader, and we doubt that Mitt's faith will have any negative effect also.

The elder Romney's main political problems stemmed from a "brainwashing" statement about the Vietnam War that today may still not be completely understood.

Meanwhile, Mitt Romney certainly has the credentials to run the country. He is a former Massachusetts governor who turned that state's economy around and proved to be a more than able leader.

His ties to Michigan and Oakland County are obvious.

He is a former Bloomfield Hills resident who attended Cranbrook Schools from 1959 until his graduation in 1965. There were hints of an interest in politics, apart from his father's political career, even back then. The younger Romney, at Cranbrook, was part of a select group that participated in a world affairs seminar focusing on global issues.

Romney is the first candidate for president with Michigan ties since the late Gerald Ford.

If elected, he would be the country's only Michigan-born president.

His interest in Michigan has been strong, probably stronger than any other GOP candidate.

He officially entered the 2008 presidential race during a gathering of about 1,200 supporters at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn last summer. Romney, 59, has also appeared before the Detroit Economic Club and at the Republican state convention in Grand Rapids.

Romney has already garnered support from some prominent local leaders.

Oakland County lawmakers endorsing him include state Reps. John Stakoe, RHighland Township; Marty Knollenberg, R-Troy; Chuck Moss, R-Birmingham; James Marleau, R-Lake Orion; John Garfield, R-Rochester Hills; Craig DeRoche, R-Novi; and Fran Amos, RWaterford Township; and state Sen. Nancy Cassis, R-Novi.

His backers also include Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson; state House Republican Leader Craig DeRoche, R-Novi; and Oakland County Republican Party Chairman Dennis Cowan.

Looking at the obvious, Romney entered the 2008 race with impressive backing in Michigan, and his ties to the state are undeniable. He has firsthand knowledge of the auto industry and its importance to Michigan.

Equally critical, Romney knows how to get a state out of debt and, being from Michigan, he certainly has an empathy for the state that the other candidates, both GOP and Democratic, don't have.

With Michigan's horrible economy and other problems, we need as much clout in Washington as possible and Romney promises to give us that.

We don't know who the Democratic candidate will be because only one of three front-runners will be on Tuesday's ballot. It's difficult, if not impossible, to endorse one at this time.

But there's no doubt whom state Republicans should vote for - Mitt Romney.

Re: Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by tancredofan
    There was a Democratic strategist--I didn't catch his name--on MSNBC awhile ago with Pat Buchanan. They were talking about the Michigan race and the strategist said that if John McCain wins that state and South Carolina, he'll be in a good spot for the nomination. He went on to say that it will effectively take the immigration issue off the table. Then he smirked and said, "I think it's a good thing, even though I know Pat wouldn't agree".

Joe Scarborough was on right before saying that if Romney comes in second he'll probably switch focus to accruing delegates, something already discussed here. Both the Democratic strategist and Scarborough said it's the Independent vote hurting Romney. I got the feeling that Scarborough is in Romney's corner, although he didn't come out and say it. He said voters in Michigan are looking for someone who is optimistic about and committed to revitalizing their economy and will "pull up his shirt sleeves" on their behalf. He contrasted Romney's commitment to Michigan with McCain's attitude that many jobs are gone forever, "so get over it". He said voters don't want to hear that. Yet, somehow, McCain seems to be leading the pack.
    Romney will defeat McCain among GOP voters in Michigan, but I'm afraid that so enough Demcorats will support McCain to cause a Romney second-place finish.
    Maybe not!!! Did you see this article??? I suspect that this is what happened in New Hampshire----and why McCain won!!

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/01/11/ko ... -michigan/
    "We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works." --- Alfredo Gutierrez, political consultant.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast