Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I'm sick and tired of hearing people say oh you better watch your P's and Q's when you speak the truth. Are we that afraid of being called a name that we can't say anything? God forbid we offend somebody. It's about damn time someone spoke the truth and stood up for what's right, political correctness be damned. Is that what kind of people you guys are? If we get nuked are you all gonna say, oh golly gee we better not speak out or retaliate because we just might (assuming your still alive) offend a muslim and we might just get called a name?

These were my feelings also dman1200, I was afraid we were turning into a political correctness forum. Most people have had enough of the political correct BS, it is just Major Media that makes you think otherwise. Most people I know want nothing to do with it. It's the same as being called a racist for wanting our borders closed and the illegal aliens deported

It is time for tough talk and tougher action, I have more respect for Tom for not backing down or offering an apology.

Bootsie,

So, you have to decide which is more important--telling it like it is or exercising a little control so he can get elected where he COULD make a difference. I'm just telling you--he will NOT win even the nomination if he uses that kind of rhetoric.

The Republicans and Major Media will do everything in their power to see he never gets the nomination even if he had never said that, pull your head out of the sand.
    He probably scored more points with the American people that heard about it than not. Political correctness is something that was shoved down our throats, well not down mine. I don't have a politically correct bone in my body, besides we don't have time for this mewing and whining, we are loosing our country.

Look at the bright side, most people probably don't have a clue who Tom Tancredo is, now more people will and they will probably like what they hear, because it is more than likely what they have been thinking to themselves all along.

There is no such thing as bad publicity

Go Tom!!

Darlene--all I can say is if any person who knows me in real life ever heard me described as PC, they would burst out laughing! If you only knew! I happen to feel that Political Correctness is the McCarthyism of my lifetime and I give it the stiff middle finger any time I can.

That being said--when a person like Tom T is in the public eye, he has to watch what he says just like I have to watch what I say at work. You can put an idea across without sounding ugly--and I'm not saying TT sounded ugly when heard in the original context of the statement. We are living in complicated times. I love TT's passion and honesty--but this was a big misstep. If TT is smart he'll distance himself from this remark and just move on.

Tom knows where the political power lies and whose buttocks to direct affection towards, so he says what will make him popular.

But, Bush has designated Saudi Arabia a friend, so would any individual find it unethical to attack a non-aggressive nation just because it consists of Muslims? What would Jesus do?

Nonsense, Asian. TT isn't kissing anybody's butt, which is why I find him so refreshing.

religion

Quote Originally Posted by BobC
    I just don't think an entire religion should suffer for the acts of extremists.
    WORSHIPING THE DEVIL IS NOT A RELIGION IN MY BOOK. IF PEOPLE WANT TO BURY THEIR HEADS IN THE SAND AND PRETEND THAT MUSLIMS PRACTICE A PEACEFUL RELIGION, THEN GOD HELP THEM ALL.
    SURE, CAIR, AND OTHER MUSLIM ORGANIZATIONS WILL 'CONDEMN' SUICIDE KILLINGS AND MURDER, BUT WHAT ARE THEY DOING TO PUT A STOP TO IT???
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: religion

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    SURE, CAIR, AND OTHER MUSLIM ORGANIZATIONS WILL 'CONDEMN' SUICIDE KILLINGS AND MURDER, BUT WHAT ARE THEY DOING TO PUT A STOP TO IT???[/b]
    Why is it their responsibility to put a stop to it if they personally had nothing to do with it? If the Christian Ku Klux Klan bombs a Black house, are you personally responsible for it if you are a Christian?

Quote Originally Posted by BobC
    Nonsense, Asian. TT isn't kissing anybody's butt, which is why I find him so refreshing.
    All mainstream politicians have to kiss the butts of the powers that be if they want to get re-elected. These are career politicians: they have their jobs in mind, not the well-being of the average voter. What do you think the average Congressman is thinking: "I have this altruistic inner burning sensation to help the common voter," or "I have this strong desire to do whatever it takes to further my political career"? How many politicians are truely ideological as opposed to simply opportunistic?

I think voters are too trusting of the elites: I'm always skeptical.

I disagree Asian-American, I don't think Tom kisses the butt of the powers that be. Remember he was told by Carl Rove "Never to darken the doors of the White House again."

I think voters are too trusting of the elites: I'm always skeptical.

This I agree.

Re: religion

Quote Originally Posted by Asian-American
    Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    SURE, CAIR, AND OTHER MUSLIM ORGANIZATIONS WILL 'CONDEMN' SUICIDE KILLINGS AND MURDER, BUT WHAT ARE THEY DOING TO PUT A STOP TO IT???[/b]
    Why is it their responsibility to put a stop to it if they personally had nothing to do with it? If the Christian Ku Klux Klan bombs a Black house, are you personally responsible for it if you are a Christian?
    Asian-American,

I believe white christian Americans did play a key role in ending the KKK.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

tms

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/s ... 00,00.html

Tancredo voicing views of public, radio host says
    His remarks about retaliation on Mecca have ignited debate

By M.E. Sprengelmeyer, Rocky Mountain News
    July 21, 2005

WASHINGTON - Back when Pat Campbell was a math teacher, he never imagined he'd see his name in Pravda, Al Jazeera and media outlets around the globe.

That's what happened this week, when the self-made radio talk show host in Florida guided U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo into some dicey talk about deterring terrorism that triggered an international backlash.

Advertisement

During an interview last week on Orlando-based WFLA, Campbell asked Tancredo, a Littleton Republican, how the United States should respond if Islamic terrorists set off nuclear attacks in U.S. cities.

"Well, what if you said something like - if this happens in the United States, and we determine that it is the result of extremist, fundamentalist Muslims, you know, you could take out their holy sites," Tancredo answered.

"You're talking about bombing Mecca," Campbell said.

"Yeah," Tancredo responded.

Campbell and a producer said they knew the comments were "powerful stuff."

"We've heard this from a lot of callers," Campbell said. "What's significant here is you have an elected official saying what people have said themselves."

The story was mentioned online. It appeared in the Rocky Mountain News on Monday and was picked up by The Associated Press, then quickly spread to all the major U.S. newspapers and television networks. By Tuesday, it was on the Arab television network Al Jazeera and outlets from Turkey to Russia to Pakistan.

Campbell's e-mail was flooded with angry messages - some in foreign languages.

"I got one this morning from a Palestinian listener in Chicago," Campbell said. "I said, 'Gee, I didn't know I had any Palestinian listeners in Chicago.' It's a real eye-opener . . . about these news cycles, these feeding frenzies we seem to have."

Just 12 years ago, Campbell was a school teacher in Erie, Pa. He was a fan of talk radio and used to call in to challenge liberals. It wasn't long before he was "discovered" by a listener in the industry and asked to audition for an on-air gig. Now he stirs the airwaves from a Clear Channel station in Orlando.

Campbell, who calls himself a "Tancredo fan," said he understands the congressman was just thinking out loud about ways to deter a terrorist attack.

"I know the message he's trying to convey. The selection of words could have been better," he said.

Tancredo has said his words have been taken out of context in some media reports, since he was just talking about a deterrent and does not advocate bombing holy sites.

On Wednesday, he got some agreement from an unlikely source - U.S. Sen. Ken Salazar, D-Colo., with whom Tancredo has occasionally clashed.

In a conference call with reporters, Salazar said people need to understand that not all Muslims are affiliated with radicals or extremists.

"I respect other religions and other groups, including Muslims, and I think Rep. Tancredo's comments may have been taken out of context," Salazar said. "I would not have used those same words. I think they were a poor choice of words."

Campbell said it's easy to see how some people could react to a reference to targeting Muslim holy sites.

Numerous people - including the Turkish foreign minister and groups in Colorado and Washington - have demanded that Tancredo apologize. He has refused.

"Knowing my listening audience, probably 75 percent of them would say, 'Heck no,' " Campbell said.

http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_2872009

Remark stirs up Muslim world
    Turk: Tancredo just "a fanatic"

By Mike Soraghan and Manny Gonzales
    Denver Post Staff Writers

Washington - Turkey's foreign minister Tuesday condemned Rep. Tom Tancredo as a "fanatic" as the Colorado Republican's comments about bombing Muslim holy sites in retaliation for a terrorist nuclear strike echoed around the world.

"This was nothing but a fanatic speaking completely personally, irresponsibly and without thought of how far his statements would reach or what kind of problems they would create," Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul said, according to Turkey's Anatolia news agency.

Meanwhile, the U.S. State Department labeled Tancredo's remarks Friday on a radio talk show "insulting to Islam," and Democratic National Committee chairman Howard Dean joined the chorus of those calling on the Littleton Republican to apologize.

Tancredo's 6th District constituents interviewed Tuesday mostly criticized their congressman's comments.

"Tancredo's stirring up a lot of trouble that doesn't need to be

Friday: On Florida radio, Tancredo suggests, You could take out their holy sites, when describing a possible response to a nuclear attack by Islamic extremists.
    Monday: Muslim leaders criticize Tancredo s comments.

Tuesday: The State Department calls the comments insulting to Islam. Turkey s foreign minister calls Tancredo a fanatic. (AP)

stirred," said Melinda Pride, 39, a Douglas County resident who said she is a Bush supporter. "Just to say we'll attack one group of people if we're attacked is dumb."

But another Douglas County Republican - Curt Clint, 37 - sided with Tancredo. "I think he said what a lot of people are thinking, and I think that a lot of the things he said need to be discussed and looked at."

"I'm fanatically devoted to the security of America," Tancredo said Tuesday in an interview, responding to the Turkish official's comments. "If that qualifies me (as a fanatic), then so I am."

He also said he couldn't care less what Republican or Democratic party officials think, dismissed the State Department as "tepid," and said that if a Muslim group wants to try to unseat him the next election, "that's the American way. ... Wouldn't it be nice if it were that way around the entire Middle East?"

Discussing on a Florida radio show Friday how the United States might respond to a nuclear strike inside the country by Islamic extremists, Tancredo suggested, "You could take out their holy sites."

The host said, "You're talking about bombing Mecca," and Tancredo replied, "Yeah."

Walid Phares, professor of Middle East studies at Florida Atlantic University, said Tancredo's remarks are starting to reach the Arab world. Articles about the comments ran on the Arabic-language television network al-Jazeera and in the Turkish Daily News.

"It has begun," said Phares, also a senior fellow at the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies in Washington. "It hasn't reached the level of Koran abuse at Guantanamo, but that will depend on the American media."

In Washington, State Department spokesman Adam Ereli stressed in the department's daily briefing that Tancredo's comments were not representative of the U.S. government.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We periodically see, you know, remarks or comments that are insulting to Islam," Ereli said in response to a question about the comments. "Speaking on behalf of the United States government, let me say that we respect Islam as a religion, we respect its holy sites."

But Michael Rubin, who follows the Middle East for the American Enterprise Institute, said many Arabs will view Tancredo's comments as official government policy because he's a congressman. "At the very least, they will consider it a trial balloon," Rubin said.

Rafaat Ludin, president of the Colorado Muslim Society, said Tuesday that if Tancredo doesn't apologize, his group will join with "interfaith partners" to try to block Tancredo's re-election in his heavily Republican district, where Tancredo has been elected four times by lopsided margins.

The Muslim council and others are still seeking a meeting with Tancredo.

Tancredo didn't get much support from his fellow Colorado Republicans.

GOP Sen. Wayne Allard "does not believe we should bomb Mecca," said spokeswoman Angela de Rocha.

Several other party leaders declined to comment.

But Republican Rep. Joel Hefley of Colorado Springs came to Tancredo's defense, saying his colleague's remarks might help some in the Middle East understand how seriously the United States views terrorism.

"He doesn't, of course, advocate bombing Mecca," said Hefley spokeswoman Kim Sears, but "he thinks Tancredo's remarks might even help. Perhaps it will emphasize the seriousness of this kind of attack before it gets out of hand."

"The man is crazy," said the Rev. Brian McCaffrey, 53, a Lutheran pastor from Highlands Ranch who said he voted Democratic in the last election.

"What seems crazy to me is there's no way this country is going to get people to like us if we're talking about blowing up holy sites," McCaffrey said. "We just get angry and stupid and begin acting like a schoolyard bully when what we need to do is talk to each other and try to settle our differences."
    "The defense of a nation begins at it's borders" Tancredo

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast