Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TRIXIE wrote:
    Mystatement was to the fact they paid city taxes, school taxes, etc
    These are also local & state taxes. Most of the wealthiest people congregate in certain, limited areas and their wealth is only contributing to those specified areas. They're not helping in the average American communities. The Blue collar worker's taxes pay for the majority of the country's communities.

the wealthiest pay the greater Fed taxes..........but not the state & local which is where much of our educational & medical funding comes from.

Therefore, it's the average American's pocket that's hit the hardest for ILLEGAL social services.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Gee, guess I grew up with a completely different outlook toward jobs.

It never seemed to matter to me what a man or woman did for a living, as each job was necessary for contributing to the whole!

Never occurred to me to stretch my neck back and look up so high at the person with all the alphabetical letters behind the name, or to look down upon another who washed the toilets. I must have looked at it like a wheel. If parts of the wheel broke, things wouldn't go round and round as smoothly. My simple little anology!

As for Wal-Mart, they just have cheap junk in many instances. I haven't shopped there in a long time and since all this illegal immigration has consumed the current scene, it only furthers my dislike for them. Their brand of foods, True Value I think it is, is dangerous. Found canned peaches with nasty jagged pieces of pits in them. Bones in some soups. Etc.

Quite a few posts back, I think it was swtncgram said get used to it. The speaking of Spanish. I was nearly floored the other day when I heard a television commercial in Spanish. It continued by saying, "that's Spanish for have a good night's sleep." So I must conclude, that now we'll be hearing pharmaceutical commercials in Spanish???

Kind of thought to myself, well that's a sneaky way of getting the message through. I didn't catch the name of the product as it was only overheard in passing. It simply caught my ear, all that motor mouthing, and literally stopped me in my tracks.

This whole immigration issue is getting to be like a slowly transmitted infectious disease while simutaneously being an onslaught. It's kind of like coming at one from all sides.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    the wealthiest pay the greater Fed taxes..........but not the state & local which is where much of our educational & medical funding comes from.
    ...don't forget County taxes and property taxes

I grew up near horsey country in Delaware. The wealthy owned more land and bigger homes so paid more taxes and this tax was for the county (benefitting all. i.e. public schools, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by breezy
    The speaking of Spanish. I was nearly floored the other day when I heard a television commercial in Spanish. It continued by saying, "that's Spanish for have a good night's sleep." So I must conclude, that now we'll be hearing pharmaceutical commercials in Spanish???
    La Quinta Hotels
    ...and it actually means "The Villa" and I'll bet the makers of the commercial are laughing at how many people think "la quinta" means "good night's sleep." It's a metaphor.

Most of the wealthiest people congregate in certain, limited areas and their wealth is only contributing to those specified areas.
    ...and the poor live in the projects and middle class in middle class neighborhoods. The wealthy are not unique in living among their own. I don't know folks....I'm detecting a green monster in this conversation.

Banned
    If you're detecting a 'green monster', it might have to do with the fact that as the gap between rich and poor grows ever wider, the 'rich' seem more and more willing to sell out the poor to maintain or improve their advantage. American working class people are the ones being stepped on as the 'rich' climb ever-higher up the 'ladder of success'.

I was going to jump into this when the 'union bashing' started, but I don't like what unions have become, either. No matter how you slice the pie, our downfall began with the worship of 'filthy lucre' over pride of country.

My 2 cents...

Wouldn't you if you were in their shoes? I think it's just self-preservation which I do think is inherent in Man. My point is that whether wealthy or not so wealthy, the tax code is a mess and we are ALL impacted by it. I'm not wealthy by any means but I do believe the wealthy pay a goodly share of the taxes IN ADDITION to giving away TONS to charity and non-profits as well as building institutions that service us all (that we do not because we can't afford it)...and the only reason they do so is to reduce their tax burden. So if you add their tax with their charitable contributions, they are paying far more than people think. Just as too many of us are getting hit by the ATM that should not. We all pay way too much tax for what we get from it in return. Prime example of a REALLY bad ROI! And the blame sits squarely at the feet of government.

And anyone who votes Republican is only furthering their aims and intentions because it is a well known, old standard fact that the wealthy vote Republican because the party favors tax breaks for them and corporations where they have their investments.

Quote Originally Posted by PinestrawGuys
    If you're detecting a 'green monster', it might have to do with the fact that as the gap between rich and poor grows ever wider, the 'rich' seem more and more willing to sell out the poor to maintain or improve their advantage. American working class people are the ones being stepped on as the 'rich' climb ever-higher up the 'ladder of success'.

I was going to jump into this when the 'union bashing' started, but I don't like what unions have become, either. No matter how you slice the pie, our downfall began with the worship of 'filthy lucre' over pride of country.

My 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by barkway
    ...don't forget County taxes and property taxes

I grew up near horsey country in Delaware. The wealthy owned more land and bigger homes so paid more taxes and this tax was for the county (benefitting all. i.e. public schools, etc)
    Read it again Bark.........LOCAL/STATE
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thanks barkway .. whew!

I generally tune out most commercials and wasn't paying attention as to what the commercial was all about. Just heard the motor mouthing, etc. etc. "that Spanish ..........for......"

Since we have been bombarded with this medication and that medication on the T.V., all I could deduct from the "good nights sleep" was some form of Lunesta or whatever

I'll have to watch for this commercial regarding the villa, "La Qunta Hotels"
    Haven't seen it to date.

Iig

Wal-Mart, Unions and Tax-Payers, oh my!

Hi Dixie, hello Truthed, Trusim, nntrixie, ya’ll in general…

Now this is a lively discourse! I’m proud of us; we’re interested, involved and activated.

I have to turn off my pop up blocker to see the ad on the Wal-Mart site, which I haven’t done as of yet. But the pic you posted Dixie was plenty. They will be hearing from me too.

Truthed, I don’t think Dixie was trying to suggest you weren’t forced to sign up for service. It sounds as if you had to as a consequence of Viet Nam era draft. Signing up for military service is not compulsory, at least, not as of late. If there is anyone out there who became a citizen after the draft ended, please chime in and let us know.

There is a Special Order that speeds up citizenship applications for the military serving in combat and they can be sworn in while in theatre. So everyone can relax, that very American common sense and humane provision has existed for a while.

Boycotts. Ah, a very interesting topic.

How many of us stop shopping someplace because we didn’t like [X]? Ok, not a traditional boycott. But it does achieve the same end: it deprives a business of our money. Now that we have their attention, they listen so much better.

Ok, now they’ll ask us why, rather than telling us to talk to the hand.

If I were in marketing, I’d be studying the surveillance video. I’d match up sales to demographic of the shoppers. It’s a business model. Does it appeal to me as an immigration control tool? You betcha’. What’s startling to me is that Business doesn’t seem to get it. Helllloooo.

Am I tired of seeing everything labeled Made in China? Am I! Every time I go to Cost Plus or Pier 1, or Target, or K-Mart, and I see a basket from China, I half-jokingly say “Made in China by political prisoners beaten daily.” Like I said, half-jokingly. There is a 50/50 chance I’m right.

Yes, boycotting does sting the business owner. It’s supposed to. If they lay off workers because they’re losing money, then they have to make business corrections, or perish. This is not new; this happens all the time, legal employees or no. If they turn around and hire lower wage workers, as long as they are here legally, then that is how business is done – cut-throat. I don’t like it much, as an employee type. If I were an employer type, I’d hug that to my chest with both arms. Hey, this is how business works on the planet. It was imported to America by immigrants, and as we grew as a nation, America perfected it.

When push comes to shove, business will take profit over us without looking back. Sorry, time to fight fire with fire. And, I’m really, really, really tired of Business, corporations and corner stores, acting like they’re doing us all a favor by offering jobs.

If your options are limited, you don’t have any place else to shop, then I’d boycott selectively. I’d restrict my purchases to just the essentials. At the Wal-Mart check-out, I’d ask for the manager, hand back an expensive item and tell them, politely, why I’m not buying it. Humble works best, kill’em with kindness.

I put myself in the shoes of a small business owner, who knows, or has always suspected that his employee is not eligible for hire. If I were him, I’d be panicking. There would be an awful dawning between me and him and a decision would be made. Regrets all around. Maybe some anger, some sadness and for sure, facing the consequences. In the past, some businesses literally evaporated overnight due to the vagaries of the market. Some businesses adapt and compensate. Some don’t, or won’t. This is where the rubber meets the road, and all of us have faced such moments on a personal basis.

Clearly, we all appreciate all the contributing factors that have brought this problem into sharp focus. I really hope we’ll rally around just the goal and present a solid, unified front.

All these arguments are wonderful education and consciousness raisers. I hope we won’t let our opponents pick us off by arguing about them, diffusing our commitment.

I will continue to send a short, sweet note to the senators and representatives, governors and mayors, supporter or opponent organizations:

--Enforce my standing border security and permitted entry laws. Enforce vigorously, showing favor toward America, as opposed to showing favor to Mexico. Sign any necessary orders to send money and resources immediately.

--Build as much fence as humanly possible, right now. Barriers work, or humans would have rejected its use millennia ago.

--Kill S2611, any and all of it.

Immigration reform is not to be rushed, and it doesn’t have to be. The only reason to rush it is so businesses can get their amnesty and Mexico can get rid of its poor even faster. While the immigration laws we have are being enforced, the galling numbers of “11 million to 20 million” will start shrinking. No, not overnight, but so what. It will get started, and it will hurry up as more money and resources are implemented.

I’m going to check out how the conference in Las Vegas went.
    "I have not yet begun to fight!" John Paul Jones