Page 168 of 177 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 1762

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Saltine cookie = cracker? Read between the lines...
    "We are being destroyed from within"

FROM DAP:

Why Cloture is Good for Us (Keep up the Work)

While I have been following the forum for a week now, I did not feel the need to register or post until now that I see so many people freaking out on the cloture motion and feeling like this is the end. Not so, cloture can be a good thing for us. I have seen people commenting about how long this is dragging out and how not many amendments are being passed, how Senators are wasting time, etc. This is the very reason that cloture was invented. Cloture is basically a procedure used to bringing debate to a relatively quick end. IT IS NOT THE END ITSELF, it is a step in that direction, which, with the way things have been going, is needed.

Here is how the process works: today cloture was filled, it won’t be until tomorrow that it can even be voted on according to Senate rules. At that point at least 3/5ths of the Senate (60 if everyone is present) has to vote yes for it to even take effect. So there is no need to worry until tomorrows vote, and even if it does get approved it doesn’t end there.

Assuming cloture passes, it basically puts an alarm clock on the political process. The Senate is limited to up to thirty more hours of debate on the bill, which is still a lot of time for things to happen. Even better news, Senators can only speak for up to an hour each, no chance of a windbag hijacking the situation. Another good thing, no more new amendments can be filed, in other words, DREAM Act could move forward, if Vitter suddenly comes up with some Nightmare Act the following day, tough luck, he can’t bring it up. There are a lot of other nuances to the process, basically some procedural debates are suspended and the presiding officer is giving extra powers to speed things up.

But enough of the technical nuances, on a practical level cloture works great to actually get amendments passed. What normally happens is behind the scenes party higher ups decide on a list of amendments to go through during the cloture deadline. Durbin is in a prime spot to make sure that DREAM gets considered. So look at is this way, for everyone complaining about the suspense, cloture means that the vote is near.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupDeb
    As many as possible, please inform the senate staffers of the info on the following link, or forward to as many people as possible. We need to expose these comments ASAP!

Start with the post by DAFLYBOY04. I'm speechless!

HURRY BEFORE THEY DELETE IT!

WARNING: MATURE CONTENT!!

http://www.dreamact.info/forum/about2499-15.html
    These people are nuts. I read a few more of their threads. We sure don't seem to be on their party invitation list. lol We are the one group mentioned more that any other...WE ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE!

Here is my favorite line from a very long and ignorant post.

They keep saying La Raza is racist. There is nothing said about other races there, how can we be racist?
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla99
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupDeb
    As many as possible, please inform the senate staffers of the info on the following link, or forward to as many people as possible. We need to expose these comments ASAP!

Start with the post by DAFLYBOY04. I'm speechless!

HURRY BEFORE THEY DELETE IT!

WARNING: MATURE CONTENT!!

http://www.dreamact.info/forum/about2499-15.html
    These people are nuts. I read a few more of their threads. We sure don't seem to be on their party invitation list. lol We are the one group mentioned more that any other...WE ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE!

Here is my favorite line from a very long and ignorant post.

They keep saying La Raza is racist. There is nothing said about other races there, how can we be racist?

If you look at the link now DAFLYBOY04 has edited his post.

Quote Originally Posted by realbsball
    THIS IS A RESPONSE BOXER SENT TO A DREAMIE. IT SURE ISN"T THE SAME RESPONSE I RECEIVED ON THE SAME ISSUE.

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2007 (S.774), commonly known as the DREAM Act. I appreciate hearing from you, and I agree with you.

I am proud to be a co-sponsor of this bipartisan bill, which would make qualifying undocumented individuals eligible for various higher education benefits including in-state tuition, student loans, and federal work study programs. Additionally, the DREAM Act would allow for the adjustment of status of certain undocumented students who are long-term residents of the United States .

Each year, thousands of immigrant students with good grades are denied college admission because of their immigration status. Many if not most of these young people had no choice in the matter, having come to the United States with their parents at an early age and spent a significant portion of their lives living in America. The DREAM Act would give these students a real shot at the American dream by providing them with a pathway to legalize their immigration status and attend college.

The Senate is currently considering the DREAM Act as an amendment to H.R.1585, the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal y ear 2008. Be assured that I strongly support the DREAM Act, and that I will fight vigorously for its passage.

Thank you again for writing to me. Please feel free to contact me in the future about this or any other issue of concern to you.

Barbara Boxer
    United States Senator
    and here is what she sent to the rest of us:

Dear Mrs. (cayla 99):

Thank you for contacting me regarding proposed changes to our immigration laws. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you may know, the Senate recently considered S.1639, a bill that would comprehensively reform our immigration system. On June 28, 2007, after weeks of negotiations and debate, the Senate voted against moving the bill forward.

Although comprehensive immigration reform has stalled, certain legislative proposals that were included in S.1639 continue to be considered on their own or as amendments to other bills. These proposals include the DREAM Act, the AgJOBS program, and increased funding for border security.

I believe our immigration problems will only get worse unless we work together to resolve them. Be assured that I will continue to fight to improve our immigration system in a manner that strengthens our border security, protects American workers, and reduces illegal immigration.

Again, thank you for writing to me. Please feel free to contact me again about this or any other issue of concern to you.

Barbara Boxer
    United States Senator

Please visit my website at http://boxer.senate.gov
    HMMMMM I want to be immature and call her a nasty name, but I am refraining at this time.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Will those of us, who missed what happened this afternoon, be able to find out at a later time?

Anything different I need to do tommorow when calling senators?

JAK
    Okay... need to make dinner (or should I say breakfast)...then I will post the info I received today.
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They say they are not worried...hummm. seem worried to me...
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Thanks, cayla. i couldn't find the one she sent me. I must have double deleted it.

Quote Originally Posted by camilleinchicago
    Can somebody save this? (note author of the OP)

http://www.dreamact.info/forum/post-231 ... ght=#23139
    I copied the entire thread. I put it under "a big dilemma if dream..." under my documents. Now what do you want me to do with it. I told you where I put it because i might forget and need a reminder.